Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Guys travelling on Carmerlaram-Varthur Road, Be careful

Two days back, I was travelling on this road from Varthur to connect to Sarjapura Road, Everyone travelling from Bellandur/ Varthur side knows that this is a relatively less traffic road compared to travelling through Marathalli.

Now its 7:45PM and very dark already, the carmelaram post road goes through the carmelaram railway station -> carmelaram -> Lake -> Karupanidhi New campus and then joins the SH through to Varthur Junction (near Forum value mall). Now I was travelling backwards and its pitch dark with no streetlights once you hit the peripheral road branching off from the SH. There are two small bridges which are narrower than the road itself at both end of the lake road.

There some traffic, more than that I expected and a Ritz is on front of me, we reach the road made on the lake bed which is narrower, i am following this new Ritz and then this curved bridge comes, I can see another vehicle's headlight on the other side of the road at a distance and the Ritz is already passing through, I am thinking in a flash,** I can too, but then this other vehicle on the otherside is not stopping, mine is a Safari which is broader, no way I think and stop just before entering the bridge**. I can see the Ritz almost crossed over.

Guys travelling on Carmerlaram-Varthur Road, Be careful-road.jpg
The Blue is their position before the crash and Red after it.

But not so soon, the headlights become clearer and I see a fast driven Sumo, suddenly the left tyre hits the shoulder wall of the bridge and it jumps up a feet or so and the right of the Sumo hits the Ritz front tyre and above. Its pitch dark and I could see the Sumo headlights going up and then down, as I said it was in a flash, both vehicles are stranded, the Ritz has his front right Tyre and axle damaged. The Sumo his Right fender and left Tyre and Axle. Its like a standstill with everyone including myself zapped and just sitting inside.

As I recall my memory the left tyre of a fast moving Sumo had burst hitting the Shoulder wall of the bridge and then bumped up and towards the right hitting the near exiting Ritz. A new Sumo driver on this route or lack of judgement on his part, thinking he will squeeze through. the Sumo driver came out checking the vehicle but the Ritz one was still in shock. I switched off and went upto him to find him holding his right hand in pain and then he came out too. Traffic kept piling on both sides as there is no way through even for a motorcycle.

People gathered and asked the Sumo guy to move the vehicle otherwise all traffic will get blocked, he moved forward with a broken front right wheel (RWD) and since I since I was the first one waiting after Ritz, i was asked to Squeeze through.

So guys taking that route, please be careful as both the bridges on both ends of the lake are on a curve and near blind after dark, dangerous too if the person doesnt realize that only 1 vehicle can pass through at a time comfortably (perhaps 2 hatchbacks but definitely not 2 sedans or bigger). Better to stop if you see the other one not.

Last edited by dadu : 2nd December 2010 at 17:25.
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Two days back, I was travelling on this road from Varthur to connect to Sarjapura Road, Everyone travelling from Bellandur/ Varthur side knows that this is a relatively less traffic road compared to travelling through Marathalli.
Good piece of information. Is this bridge on that curved road near the varthur junction?

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd December 2010 at 13:25. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, video, pictures. Next time will attract infraction. Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dadu, both those bridges you mentioned are potential danger points, and lot many times i have observed Sumo drivers who just barge in, without thinking of the vehicle thats exiting the bridge. What follows is what you have described.

Between, i didnt know you also use this road on a daily basis.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:38   #4
BHPian

Hey DADU, that was a good piece of information and i must say a nice of using the mspaint

Well, i take that route whenever i have to go to hosur, chennai and it is a crazy sretch. The bridge which is at the entry to the vartur is wide enough (which is over the drain), but ones you cross varthur and you go down you find another very narrow bridge (if i recall it is after hanuman temple) that is CRAZY. As you rightly mentioned, two cars cant pass it at the same time.

Was it the Yellow Board Sumo, by any chance??? Moreover, i do not see any sign boards stating "Narrow Bridge Ahead, go slow"...
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:18   #5
BHPian

@dadu. Sad to hear about this accident. I take this road many times during day time. But, I never take that route after dark. Even if it is longer, I take the Marathalli, ORR route to reach my home on Sarjapur road.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Good piece of information. Is this bridge on that curved road near the varthur junction?
Its these 2 junctions.

Guys travelling on Carmerlaram-Varthur Road, Be careful-road.jpg
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its these 2 junctions.
Got that, i have traveled a few times at night over this stretch, yes those bunds are pretty narrow.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

It is between these bunds that the accident involving the Krupanidhi college bus happened, which had toppled over to the side when trying to make way for a lorry. Needless to say, the bus driver was quite rash, as was mentioned by students using that bus.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:28   #9
BHPian

Bus

I happened to witness this bus accident.

I saw that bus had just fell down & people / students had started gathering over the place. By the time I passed through the spot, few police vehicles & Ambulance were rushing towards the spot.

Later they have put the pillers (cement bars) on both sides of this road.

But, yes - this route is not safe in many ways after dark. Be careful.

Last edited by neo45007 : 3rd December 2010 at 18:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks