Team-BHP - Victim of Road Rage + Extortion!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Victim of Road Rage + Extortion! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/94028-victim-road-rage-extortion-5.html)

Hey Suhaas, don't get moved or stressed so much because of this incident. Cheer up and continue your daily routine.

I too experienced similar incident few months back,

Me with my sister's family having 2 kids were on a day trip to mysore and around. The kids were very interested in Mysore Zoo and we headed to it. I was searching for a parking before the Zoo and took a right before it with proper indication and ensuring no one is crossing the road. But from nowhere an auto with its highest speed came and rammed my rear and the auto halted upside down after rolling twice on middle of the road just in front of the zoo entrance. It was a weekend and one of the busiest roads of mysore, the accident was just near a big auto stand too.

I was taken a back and my mind was totally blocked for a minute and could not even think of what had happened. everyone were rushing to the auto looking for the driver and passenger in it. the driver was pulled out without any injury and i also rushed to help others in getting the passenger out. the passenger was also pulled out with blood oozing from hand and leg. i was literally shocked to see who was the passenger , he was a traffic inspector:deadhorse.

About 50 auto drivers and another 50 localities surrounded me and my cousin shouting in kannada and moved us towards the side of road in the intention of hitting us. And we tried to make them understand that it was not our fault in any way and it was only the autowala who came in uncontrollable speed in such a busy road. But nothing helped out, as mine was a TN registered and none of us know abc of kannada.

In that mess i did not mind to see what happened to my car, I don't want to see its state as i know i will surely weep infront of others as the day was my cars first birthday:Frustrati.

Finally we along with auto guys were taken to police station and the police understood the situation, the traffic inspector who was a passenger in the auto also agreed that it was the autowala's fault as he had clearly seen me indicating the right turn. I was with my sister's family and kids, no one was there to help or talk for us with those localities and auto drivers. But Mysore police really understood the situation and talked on behalf of us and got us releaved by end of that evening with mutual compromise and no case being registered.

The damage for my car costed me around 36k, Baja allianz took care of it with me paying some 6k from my pocket.

That was the day i really beleived in there are some Good cops everywhere. We would had been in terrible problem if the cops refused to talk on behalf of us.

So Suhaas, as you had logged a complaint already. Do believe that cops will do their best in natching that moron and book him in some way. so Leave the burden to cops and get relieved buddy.

hey suhaas, it was really sad as well as shocking to read about this incident. However, I feel that at times (like in your case), the best thing to do is to get out of that situation as soon as possible. Let's face the truth, & without being disrespectful towards any body or any sort of sentiments, things aren't rosy with our country's police forces as well. Things could have gotten much worse & you might have had regretted involving the police. I have had a couple of incidents on the road, though none of them resulted in such physical violence, I always got rid of them then & there itself.

The good part is that you did come out of the incident & you are safe. You lost some amount of money, but I am glad that you did not get any injuries & the loss was limited to the money you had to shell out.

Drive safe.

Suhaas - sorry about the bad experience.
It sounds bad - bad everywhere the locals are at advantage even if they do wrong.
Just forget it, and carry on.
BTW - do NOT carry a baseball bat in your car - that may be classified as a weapon of offence. Carry a can of mace / pepper spray - should be enough.

Hey Suhas I am sorry for what happened with you. Its really frustrating to know that nicety, calmness and politeness are not good things when it comes to our roads. I live in Delhi and I think Delhi is the worst place when it comes to road rage. This kind of behaviour is just unacceptable. But I am afraid nothing is being done about it. The Best Policy that i have started following is never get into a quarrel with anyone on the road however much the damage is. Your life is much more precious then little money you might have to shell out. I know many people might not agree with me on this but i will still stick to that policy.

A very similar incident happened to with me and my friend in bangalore only. We did our MBBS from bangalore. If you can recall there is this huge open manhole along the right lane of double road flyover while going towards residency road. My friend was driving his Santro Xing when he suddenly saw the manhole and as a reflex action braked. Behind us was a Tempo which also breaked and behind that was a demo Chevrolet Optra. There was or is a Chevrolet showroom right at the starting on residency road i remember. Anyways the Optra banged into the tempo and there was a dent on the bonnet. Our only mistake was that like good people we stopped and didnt just drive away. The driver of the car and the tempo guy jumped on our car as soon as they saw that it had Haryana registration. After a lot of arguing and some threats my friend agreed to pay for the damage of the car. All 3 parties then moved to the Chevrolet showroom. Meanwhile the tempo guy called some other friends and the showroom people also all ganged up upon the two of us and asked for 30K. Yes sir 30k right in the middle of the day in a showroom on one of the busiest roads of bangalore. I managed to sms a friend from my college and asked him to inform the police and also come over ASAP. After around 15 minutes the Police came and so did our friends. On seeing this the showroom staff and tempo driver and his pals all started a scuffle. The policeman didnt even try and intervene. We were shocked to see it. Those people threatened us that they have anyways seen my friends license and stuff and will see us later if we dont pay up. ALL THIS HAPPENED IN FRONT OF THE POLICEMAN! He didnt show any concern and probably would have got a cut too. Anyways my friend called his dad in Ambala(his hometown) and we finally had to give them Rs 20,000. Imagine that. Ofcourse when we saw them punch and push us in front of the police we knew that there was not much sense in fighting. It scared us like hell.

We later did think of complaining to Chevrolet but my friend did not want anymore headache. So this is the sorry state of affairs in our country.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative420 (Post 2185407)

And Suhaas, you did the right thing by not getting physical with him. I guess others would have plonked on you. But I like that idea by someone to stay put in the car and if you have a mobile phone with camera recording, record it. You get your proof...

And about the Auto-wallahs. Phew! My GF was driving back home...

...is one of the worst moment I've experienced in Bangalore.

Anyways. Feels good to vent out my frustration.

Drive Carefully People.

Creative, I'm sorry to learn about the incident that your better half had gone through. It hurts even more when you know that you couldn't have done anything about it.

I did not have the presence of mind to switch on the camera on my phone and record the incident. I would have, if it had struck me. But after I had given the guy the money, he was looking at taking my other belongings. He tried to snatch my phone and I'm sure he got a glimpse of it when I took it out to make calls.

These guys are crooks, and one must try and not be flashy around them. That's why, even the photo in the first page was taken rather discreetly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 2185570)
Hi Suhaas, Exactly this happened to me two weeks back...

THOUGH I DONT WANT TO TAKE REVENGE ,THAT INCIDENT IS NOT GETTING OUT OF MY MIND,IN FACT I DIDNT SLEEP THAT NIGHT.

YOU GUYS TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE ? and what should i DO

I'm sorry about what you had to go through! It's sad to learn about your incident.

However, I honestly think violence isn't the answer. The fact that you showed signs of violence might be held against you later on. Let the other guy do whatever he wants. At the end of the day, you will have the upper hand in the eye of the law because you showed maturity and respect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RROD (Post 2185674)
I don't understand ...... Was I too subtle or are you pretending to be meek.

Anyways getting back to the point, every city in India has these problems. I am sick and tired of people generalizing statements about Bangalore.
Bangalore is my home and I love it, and I am sure everyone loves their homes too, and if this brings a little pride into it, so be it, that's exactly what makes us humans. But respecting others is what makes us more human and mature.
It's very simple really, if you don't like Bangalore, don't live in Bangalore, if you need help in moving put, let me know I will be glad to show you the way out :D
Peace and respect for all!!!!

PROD,

I see that you're being flamed for your statements. It's okay PROD, this is a forum where everyone is allowed to voice their opinions. Some may not approve, and some may, and others would take it with a pinch of salt. No harm done buddy. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by allajunaki (Post 2185688)
Allow me to recollect an incident similar.
I was on Hosur road, heading out towards Silkboard...

...Also, I never rolled down the window or unlocked the car doors.

Well that's an all new approach to it. Well done!

But the issue wasn't a serious one, and in such cases, it's best to avoid completely. After all, ignorance is bliss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheelz (Post 2185826)
HI Suhass
I can sympathise with you buddy. But you need to forget it and move on...

...Here I remember the opening quote of a famous movie
"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF THE EVIL IS THAT FEW GOOD MEN DO NOTHING"

Move on buddy...

Well said Sheelz! Will keep that in mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedmiester (Post 2185838)
I am sorry to hear your ordeal. These things happen in every city. Don't bash the city for it...

...Please leave the regional mentality and start thinking like an Indian.

Speedmiester,

Thank you for the sentiments. But I did not bash the City in any way. I love Bangalore, but I am livid about some of the people who stay here and make our lives a living hell for no good reason.

I was born and brought up here and I cannot imagine moving to any other city. And it angers me no end to see what is happening to it. And that's why, I want to see change. These people must be brought to task for what they're doing to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poloman (Post 2185867)
I am not a native Bangalorean, but settled here for last 11 years. I don't have any problem with what RROD is saying. If any one finds the City so unlivable, one should leave the place rather than criticizing the very city which provide livelihood to them and their families. Indians have the right to live any where in the country, but that does not mean one has the right to unduly criticize the city where they live or its local populi. Rather than cribbing they should imbibe the local culture and learn the local language. One should understand that there is a large section of local people living out there marginalized and fighting for their survival.This thread has digressed a lot and better to close this with out delay.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by superboy44 (Post 2185913)
very sorry to hear about your ordeal suhaas, but i feel you handled the situation pretty well and also the fact that you came away from it with just monetary harm is fine...

...cause knowing that support is on the way is a big relief in these kind of situations.

Thank you Superboy! Will keep it in mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RROD (Post 2185918)
I am not Trolling on this thread, and it was never my intent. I guess you missed the trolls.
I just came across this thread, and saw what was posted here generalizing about Bangalore, and it's people (calling them even spineless). Would you be okay, if I said the same thing about your place. Go read the earlier posts and come back. Do you see any value in the post that was made earlier!! I guess not.
And just a reminder, neither have you added any value to this thread.

C'mon guys, don't be harsh on PROD, he was just putting forth a strongly worded opinion, which he has rephrased for the benefit of the others. And by no means is he trolling the thread! Let's not digress from the topic, please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulZire (Post 2185924)
Hey Suhaas, don't get moved or stressed so much because of this incident. Cheer up and continue your daily routine.

I too experienced similar incident few months back...

...So Suhaas, as you had logged a complaint already. Do believe that cops will do their best in natching that moron and book him in some way. so Leave the burden to cops and get relieved buddy.

I'm sorry to learn about your incident, Bulzire. It's best to forget it, and it's good to know that the police acted on the situation accordingly and handled it competently.

Although I do not have faith in the system, I do hope that it works out for the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfire_9 (Post 2185943)
hey suhaas, it was really sad as well as shocking to read about this incident. However, I feel that at times (like in your case), the best thing to do is to get out of that situation as soon as possible...

...the loss was limited to the money you had to shell out.

Drive safe.

Thank you Backfire!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 2185946)
Suhaas - sorry about the bad experience.
It sounds bad - bad everywhere the locals are at advantage even if they do wrong.
Just forget it, and carry on.
BTW - do NOT carry a baseball bat in your car - that may be classified as a weapon of offence. Carry a can of mace / pepper spray - should be enough.

Thank you Blackasta. And point noted. I will not carry a baseball bat or any kind of weapon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2185984)
Hey Suhas I am sorry for what happened with you. Its really frustrating to know that nicety, calmness and politeness are not good things when it comes to our roads. I live in Delhi and I think Delhi is the worst place when it comes to road rage...

...We later did think of complaining to Chevrolet but my friend did not want anymore headache. So this is the sorry state of affairs in our country.:Frustrati

Wow! That was a horrible one! I'm sorry about that incident, doctor.

It is true that politeness doesn't work. I have been polite umpteen times and it has been turned against me, even if it wasn't my fault. But your incident has really shaken me up. That's horrible! And I thought what I, and a few others here, had gone through was bad.

Drive safe!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's good to see lot's of discussion on this. I frankly did not expect this sort of response and it's heartening to see people pouring in opinions. But some opinions could get flamed. Please keep the flaming away. PROD is not wrong for echoing his sentiments, and Spitfire is entitled to his opinion as well. Let's leave it at that.

Thank you for the support everyone! It means a lot! :thumbs up

Dang, I feel sorry for you Suhaas :(

Seems like it was organized and you mention it's been reported in that area before as well. The cops have really got to crackdown on all this - it feels like it's way too easy for this sort of organized crime to function. Then again someones got to crackdown on the cops...

Whatever you do, don't get into a physical fight and do something you'll regret: keep your cool and things will work out (I know it's hard).

Drive safe, buddy.

Sorry to hear the stories. There is no real help available for small accidents esp if you are the car guy. 3 years ago when I'd parked my car a feet or two outside the stop line ( it was my fault no doubt ), a private bus passing perpendicular and too close to my car ripped the bumper off along with extensive damage to the fender. I got no help from anyone ( I was told that I was outside the stop line by a good foot ).

It's almost as if it's your fault that you got robbed because you ventured out late in the night and it's not the other guy's mistake to have robbed you. bah.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please stick to the topic. Kindly refrain from posting sensitive and region oriented discussions as it can lead to arguments and debates.

This thread will now be cleaned up and sensitive posts will be deleted.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Use the Report Post button to bring any post(s) to our attention. Making sarcastic comments will invite action.

Just read this online and thought I should share.
Techie hits men while opening car door, killed - The Times of India

Its a sad reminder of the lack of value for human life and how people allow temper to take over good sense.

A few days back a scooterist rammed me from the side-he had lost control as he was
speeding. I was neither turning or on the wrong side etc-I was pretty slow as the place was new (K R Puram/Butterhalli) and i was to stop and ask for directions. The local goons made out that it was my fault and wanted me to cough up Rs 10000 but I stuck to my guns and demanded that the Cops impound both vehicles. In the end my staff came and i paid 1500 for no fault of mine-my wife was with me and I did not want an ugly scene. My problem-local language. We have to learn the local language!!! It happens all over India-so I request all not to blame any community/region or state. Its just that the goondas are out to make a quick buck

Time to join some local language class. No excuses anymore.
And team-bhpian knows of any good sites to learn the language of this place?
I know Google is there but if someone knows of a good site then it will save some time.

There are all kinds of people - Good & Bad everywhere. I had a personal experience of an accident where my car collided with a two wheeler and the person was seriously injured. I transported the injured person to the hospital and took care of all the medical expenses on my own free will. I received lot of support from the relatives of the injured in securing my damaged car, handling the police & the RTO. I did not have to pay any other compensation. The case is now being dealt as a motor vehicle claim incident in the court and I continue to be in good terms with the other party.

In any accident anger comes to the fore and is the primary driver for what happens next. One needs to handle the anger in an appropriate manner.

There are no ready made solutions for each such evantuality. If so required one may also have to be firm and stand ones ground. On one occassion which I personally faced A tight slap from me was the appropriate solution whiich resolved the issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2189226)
Time to join some local language class. No excuses anymore. .

But in a tight spot, with the dialect of the local language that you would speak(unless you can really sound like a local which is a bit tough and can only happen after years of speaking!), you'd easily be noticed as "not from here" and people would still gang up on you :D and voila - we are back to square one.

I'd suggest writing off all these incidents and move on! Do whatever it takes to get out of such a situation whenever that happens, the longer you are "in it" the more they will/can "extract" from you.

I think everything has a price to it, living in bangalore has this "price" attached to it, its probably a very small price to pay for the good things about the city. No point loosing sleep over a litte incident on the road, best thing to do is move on!

@adnaps ~ was nice to read your post and the way you handled the situation and even got full support from the victims family. Hope better sense prevails in peoples minds 2011 onwards.

The second part of your post did not understand. Did you get slapped? Or you slapped someone?