Team-BHP - Victim of Road Rage + Extortion!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Victim of Road Rage + Extortion! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/94028-victim-road-rage-extortion-6.html)

Another road rage incident, this one seems to have turned ugly. I guess it is best to take a few deep breaths before doing anything in anger
Tourist battling for life after attack - The Times of India

Quote:

Originally Posted by adnaps (Post 2189247)
On one occassion which I personally faced, A tight slap from me was the appropriate solution whiich resolved the issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2194984)
The second part of your post did not understand. Did you get slapped? Or you slapped someone?

He gave the slap, not received it! A missing punctuation mark is the cause of your confusion, and I have provided it in the above quote! There should be no doubt now! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 2195077)
He gave the slap, not received it! A missing punctuation mark is the cause of your confusion, and I have provided it in the above quote! There should be no doubt now! :)

Thanks Gansan, the missing punctuation did deserve a tight slap stupid:

Yet another road rage in Bangalore where things turned pretty ugly with the stabbing of one of the parties. AFAIK Bangalore was a relativley calm and peaceful city, what has changed over the past few years for the B'lore image to change? The newslink attached.

Road rage: 57-year-old stabbed to death in Bangalore - Bangalore - DNA

suhaas307
any leads on the guy ?

Couple of nights back I was at a red signal. waiting for it to turn green. Behind me 2 guys in a black pulsar start honking like crazy. I roll down the window and ask them what they wanted.
They signaled me to move forward so they could jump the signal. I refused to move. They keep honking and start howling profanities at me. Both these guys spoke English.
Finally the signal turns green and these guys zip away.
Thats when I saw the guy sitting in the back holding a 3-5 year old kid in his Lap!!
I don't know what to make of such people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Slow (Post 2196486)
suhaas307
any leads on the guy ?

Couple of nights back I was at a red signal. waiting for it to turn green. Behind me 2 guys in a black pulsar start honking like crazy. I roll down the window and ask them what they wanted.
They signaled me to move forward so they could jump the signal. I refused to move. They keep honking and start howling profanities at me. Both these guys spoke English.
Finally the signal turns green and these guys zip away.
Thats when I saw the guy sitting in the back holding a 3-5 year old kid in his Lap!!
I don't know what to make of such people.

The way you composed your message makes me feel that those guys were in a rush to some near by hospital on some emergency for the kid.

But these kind of incidents do happen.
If u were a local or had somebody along with you in the car,u should hav got down your car and beaten those morons black and blue for howling profanities at you for no reason.
If you have ladies in your car,sympathy takes care of it.
If you have men just get down and beat the **** outta them.

Being soft spoken and well mannered does not work,atleast in India.
You have to be rude.
Also u should have a good physical built(i work out and maintain a good physique,although not solely for this purpose) and be a little influential as in should be able to take a few names or ring a few influential people instantly.

"Life is not fair and so am i" is my policy.

If it's not your city
Be careful.Do not get into trouble firstly.
If people honk just oblige.
If u are already in trouble just pay up.

Having local influence always helps,be it in getting things done anywhere or getting an upper hand in such minor scuffles.
But if it's not your place BE WATCHFUL of such idiots.

Just my 2 cents.

The real problem with name dropping starts when the other party drops even bigger names. Sense takes a back seat and ego takes over. Pretty soon it's no longer your issue but the 'names' fighting it out for who has the bigger clout.
These days it's difficult to predict who might be influential looking at the person - appearances can be so deceptive. The best thing is to avoid a confrontation of any sorts - More so if there is no physical damage to anyone, man or machine. Time is money and there is no point spending it in these situations.

Folks of Bangalore -- Did you guys read the newspaper today? A 57 year old gentleman was stabbed by 3 bikers for their bike being gently touched by the gentlemans car. And the news even said - The man was NOT quarrelling with the bikers and was ONLY trying to pacify them. Murderers!

Looks like I'm the only guy who got away by 'extorting' money from a two wheeler.

This incident happened early last year near the Bangalore University gate on Mysore road. I was coming from the BU campus towards Mysore Road in my Swift. I was passing over the humps slowly when suddenly an idiotic biker came in at full speed (from Mysore road), lost control near the humps and banged straight into right side of the car. I immediately pulled over inspected the damage and went straight to the biker and snatched his keys.

Luckily for me, that guy was not injured in any way nor was his bike damaged. But the damage was done to my car, deep gashes to both the doors on the right side. I stood my ground and snatched his driver's license (only a photocopy though) and started shouting at him. I asked him to compensate for both the doors. He made some calls and in the meanwhile, I called a friend (since I was alone). Some 5-6 guys came up and started negotiating with me. I was ready to lodge a complaint with the police and risk my car getting impounded for a long time.

They too knew that their case did not hold much water since it was the two wheeler which had banged the side of my car. Finally settled for 3.5k as settlement. The repair bill came up to Rs.18,000 of which 15,000 was paid by insurance.

I think a few things went in my favour
1. The guy was not hurt
2. The 2 wheeler was not damaged
3. There were no auto guys around
4. The other guy was a softie:D
5. Maybe, I did not look like an IT guy. I was wearing shorts:D
6. The people who came to negotiate with me were decent (even though they looked like goondas)
7. Maybe, the bike did not have any documents (probably stolen), the mention of police might have acted as a deterrent.

Coming back to the OP's incident, I think what Suhas did was prudent given that the mob was against him. People on the ground have to assess the situation and act accordingly. I would have done the same if I was in Suhas's position.

Tough luck Suhas. These things keep happening. You've just got to forget these things and move on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubz (Post 2197162)
Folks of Bangalore -- Did you guys read the newspaper today? A 57 year old gentleman was stabbed by 3 bikers for their bike being gently touched by the gentlemans car. And the news even said - The man was NOT quarrelling with the bikers and was ONLY trying to pacify them. Murderers!

They should be caught and brought to justice. What a shame that our governance cannot protect innocent people. Where is this all going :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Slow (Post 2196486)
suhaas307
any leads on the guy ?

Thread Bump!

Guess what? I pulled a few strings, with the help of some friends, and the cops managed to catch the moron.

YES! I got a call from the police-station sometime back and was told that he is in custody. I was very busy and held up with something else, so I told them to take care of it. They suggested I come to the station, but I wasn't even going to be in town, so I didn't bother.

Anyway, they caught the guy and gave him a sound thrashing. They told me to come to the station and collect the 400 bucks. I told them to keep it, and thanked them for their cooperation.

I got my justice, and I'm positively chuffed! :Cheering:

I should have updated this thread with this post long ago, but had completely forgotten about it.

Thank you all for your support. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2612267)
Thread Bump!

Guess what? I pulled a few strings, with the help of some friends, and the cops managed to catch the moron.

:thumbs up

I love you man!!! You have no idea how much happiness the above lines brought to me, I too am a victim of such bullies, but could not do a thing else than cursing them to eternity, if only I were a sage!!

When in Pune please avoid Wadarvadi Road at ALL COSTS!

Small kids are trained to run into 2 or 4 wheelers, fall on the ground and start to cry. Magically 50 odd mob surround the hapless driver, slap him a few times. The kid starts to holler louder, mother arrives and cries.

Soon a Police Constable also arrives! He advices the driver to "Settle the matter" there and then and move on.

I hear settlement is a few thousand bucks.

Way back in 1986 this also happened to me on a 2 wheeler. A cop came and I showed him my Armed Forces ID card. The Cop pacified the mob
and the "victim" kid smiled at me too !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanduchitnis (Post 2613130)
When in Pune please avoid Wadarvadi Road at ALL COSTS!

Is this the road leading from Senapati Bapat road towards Model colony?
Amazing how cops function hand in glove with these morons :Frustrati
What would happen if we insist on a FIR. In any case, kids are not supposed to be running on the road

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 2197940)
Looks like I'm the only guy who got away by 'extorting' money from a two wheeler
I called a friend (since I was alone). Some 5-6 guys came up and started negotiating with me
The people who came to negotiate with me were decent (even though they looked like goondas)

I think they paid you because they were a bunch of good chaps and they realized it was their mistake. It wouldn't end like this if they were really goondas. You were lucky :)