Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Panel for landmark changes in Motor Vehicle Act

Source: Panel for landmark changes in Motor Vehicle Act - The Economic Times

I was a bit shocked and surprised to read some of the aspects mentioned in this article. While things such as drunken driving, using cellphone driving and appropriate licenses are good, what they mentioned on bluetooth and music devices is puzzling for me. Pasting an extract below.

One of the major aspects being tackled is use of mobile phones, hands-free and bluetooth devices while driving. At present, the law does not define these devices. The committee has put forth exact definition of Bluetooth devices and I-pods and recommended that use of any such device be banned while driving. The fines have been enhanced from the current Rs 100-Rs 600 to Rs 2,000.

Does this mean that we can play music only when parked because "use" could be open to interpretation.

Mods: Please move this to the appropriate section if this is not the right place.

Regards
Balram
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Panel for landmark changes in Motor Vehicle Act

Mods note: Thread moved to right section.
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Panel for landmark changes in Motor Vehicle Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbraju View Post
One of the major aspects being tackled is use of mobile phones, hands-free and bluetooth devices while driving. At present, the law does not define these devices. The committee has put forth exact definition of Bluetooth devices and I-pods and recommended that use of any such device be banned while driving. The fines have been enhanced from the current Rs 100-Rs 600 to Rs 2,000.

Does this mean that we can play music only when parked because "use" could be open to interpretation.
I think by I-Pod and Bluetooth they meant usage of Earphones which impair the safety while driving. I have seen lots of bikers use their Phone's handsfree earphones to listen to FM/Music at full volume.

Personally i feel the fines suggested in MV act are too low. The fines and punishment for serious offenses like Drunk driving should be increased. What's even more important is enforcement of the law.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks