Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 16:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is your bumper to bumper distance in slow traffic?

I make sure that I can see the wheels of the car in front, whenever possible. The actual distance depends upon the car I drive. In my Santro, this could mean about a couple of feet. In my Civic it will be at least double of that.
Old 20th February 2011, 09:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

In Indian Traffic conditions if you leave 5 feet ahead of you then you will keep on being cut across by auto's , bike guys and what so ever.

Not too close so that the guy in front of you rolls back onto you and not too far so that people start creeping into your lane.

The above justification is only when moving in a bumper to bumper traffic jam in speeds <5kmph.

in speeds >10kmph the 5+ feet rule should be followed.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

2-3 feet in normal circumstances, 5-6 feet on inclined roads (just in case the driver in front is a novice whose vehicle will stall and/or move backwards when taking off )
Old 16th March 2011, 18:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Enough for a pedestrian to cross safely between the two cars, this is almost always the minimum distance. Very rarely I go beyond that. Generally when I am able to dictate terms, the distance is about two feet.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

As seen in one of the traffic conditions, if you leave sufficient space between the bumpers then some biker is going to squeeze in. If you dont leave space, then there are chances that the car in front of you might kiss you car's bumper.

Also in case of MUV's its very difficult to apply the thumb rule of keeping the number plates/tyres in visibility coz the number plates are way up than normal.
Old 18th March 2011, 06:55   #36
Team-BHP Support

I always try to leave atleast a car distance while driving in India, but had my share of troubles (or funny incidents) because of that:

1) In my hometown (Thrissur, Kerala), a auto-rick guy took the pains of jumping out of his vehicle, got to my car, knocked on my window and asked me move closer to the bus in front!

2) In Bangalore, the guys behind me was honking profusely, and bikers were trying to squeeze in to the space I left.
Old 18th March 2011, 07:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

how does it matter when an autowalla or a bike just squeezes into the space i maintain, in chennai.

I try to keep atleast 4-5feet and yet end up almost kissing an auto or a bike. Idiots!!!!!
Old 18th March 2011, 09:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I always try to leave atleast a car distance while driving in India, but had my share of troubles (or funny incidents) because of that:

1) In my hometown (Thrissur, Kerala), a auto-rick guy took the pains of jumping out of his vehicle, got to my car, knocked on my window and asked me move closer to the bus in front!

2) In Bangalore, the guys behind me was honking profusely, and bikers were trying to squeeze in to the space I left.
With traffic jams becoming a permanent feature of many cities, sometimes you must try to utilize all the space you can, so that vehicles behind you may find some maneuvering space. Without this the traffic jams will simply increase exponentially. I have personally found this to be true in many situations where the road is jammed from both sides, and sometimes a truck moving a few inches provides much needed room for a smaller vehicle to occupy and it helps ease up the flow of traffic.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:10   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
With traffic jams becoming a permanent feature of many cities, sometimes you must try to utilize all the space you can, so that vehicles behind you may find some maneuvering space. Without this the traffic jams will simply increase exponentially. I have personally found this to be true in many situations where the road is jammed from both sides, and sometimes a truck moving a few inches provides much needed room for a smaller vehicle to occupy and it helps ease up the flow of traffic.
I am always willing to give in for exceptions, but problem is when these exceptions become a norm, and a jam-packed traffic situation can result in a dead-lock which means more delays - just my view
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

If bumper to bumper traffic means < 5-10kmph then I keep enough distance so that I see the road in front of me at all times and not just the car in front or its bumper. Even when stopping at red lights I ensure enough space between my car and the one in front so that I see the road.

Instead of preventing every other 2-wheeler/autorick/car to get in between and even riding the clutch during this I drive like you see those chauffer driven luxury cars (Merc/BMW/Audi/Jag) i.e. leave more than ample space for anybody who wishes to squeeze in.

This way I remain calm and don't lose my head over preventing other vehicles trying to squeeze in and instead see the same happening a couple of meters ahead of me.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

I don't leave much gap between my car and the car ahead. I have witnessed my car getting scratched due to the bikers cutting in the gap I used to leave before.I either leave enough space or no space at all for the bikers to get in front through the sides, but no space at all to squeeze in front of my car.
Now, as the traffic is very slow and if the car ahead is a small car/sedan, I try to leave minimum gap, so that even if the car ahead rolls back, it won't get much momentum to damage my car . But if it's a truck or a bus I stay away and try to be at their side rather than be on their rear.
I increase the gap as the traffic gains speed and also try and keep the driver of the car behind alerted of the traffic ahead by braking intermittently so that he has enough time to respond.
I and try and use less of the brakes, but just press it gently enough so that the light comes up for the car behind to see it.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:21   #42
BHPian

Usually about 1.5 meters or more, but sometimes I close it off with just about a half a meter to prevent tailing morons/two wheelers kissing my vehicle's front.
Old 19th April 2011, 00:33   #43
BHPian

Today it got reduced to zero and my car hit the back of a bus when it braked suddenly. Result: dent on the bonnet :-(.
Old 19th April 2011, 01:52   #44
BHPian

Totally depends on the situation.

If it is stop & start, bumper to bumper traffic then not more than 1 foot. I hate it when someone tries to bully me out of my space. I'm very territorial!

If it is at speeds of 20 - 40, then half a cars distance. But this is only when I'm fully alert. Otherwise I keep a 1 car distance.

If it is at speeds of 50 - 70, then 1 and half cars distance.

An easier way is, let it depend on your mood. If you are relaxed and chilled out and not in a hurry, you'll adapt your style accordingly without even realising. If you are in a rush and have adrenaline pumping, then you'll automatically see yourself accelerating harder, braking harder and so on.

This one car and one and a half car rule was taught to me by my dad.
Old 19th April 2011, 03:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Enough for a pedestrian to cross safely between the two cars, this is almost always the minimum distance.
+1 to that. In case if its a heavy vehicle a minimum of half a car distance as i see lot of these guys coming a bit back before moving forward. But if its on my pulsar 200 i'll be the one looking for that 2 feet to squeeze thru (Somebody stop me from doing that )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks