Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 11:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Use of turn indicators to change lanes in traffic and the highway. Does it matter?

This is been an observation by me since a long time really. I often drive in bumper to bumper traffic while commuting (I'm sure a majority of us do). I have noticed that when I try to change lanes in a jam situation by giving the indicator , the guy behind, seeing that I'm going change lanes comes forward extra fast to block me from doing so. On the other hand when I try and change lanes without giving the indicator, I manage to do it easily without anyone coming to block me.

Its really sad to see that you get bogged down when you do things the right way by following the rules. How many of you have gone through this in similar situations in your day to day driving?
Dippy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 11:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Use of turn indicators to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic. Does it matte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
This is been an observation by me since a long time really. I often drive in bumper to bumper traffic while commuting (I'm sure a majority of us do). I have noticed that when I try to change lanes in a jam situation by giving the indicator , the guy behind, seeing that I'm going change lanes comes forward extra fast to block me from doing so. On the other hand when I try and change lanes without giving the indicator, I manage to do it easily without anyone coming to block me.

Its really sad to see that you get bogged down when you do things the right way by following the rules. How many of you have gone through this in similar situations in your day to day driving?
Yup, very true. I have stopped using indicators in traffic for the same reason. The person in the other lane wakes up in vengeance and tries everything to block your lane change however genuine it might be.

Last edited by f1fan : 9th February 2011 at 11:30.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Use of turn indicators to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic. Does it matte

Dippy, these things happen very oftenly in bumper to bumper traffic it is nothing but the egoism of the people.

They think why should we let others go when they are struggling to go in the traffic.
gowda79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 11:50   #4
BHPian

Don't you think that changing lanes in a bumper to bumper situation is what is responsible for that jam to an extent. Otherwise, if everyone is little patient and sticks to their lane , the jams will not happen most of the times. Although, if there is a breakdown of vehicle in the middle of the road, then its justified. What you might be doing is same as the other guy who is blocking you. You see a slow moving car/tempo/van in front of you in a bumper to bumper traffic, and you leave your lane, and move to another because you could not accept driving behind it. And in case of slow moving city traffic, its not a blink-and-you-miss kind of overtaking. It takes time to move to another lane when traffic is thick, and a pile up happens behind you.

No offenses, just my take on the query
v-drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 12:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

What I have noticed is that in many places where traffic is supposed to move in a single file (for eg: nearing a junction, waiting for signal), there are some "smart" guys who create a new lane beside you on the right side. And when they encounter traffic coming from the opposite side, they just put their left indicators on and try to merge back into the original lane. In such cases, I do my utmost to ensure that they are left "hanging" in the middle and that they get an earful from the guys approaching from the opposite side

Last edited by StarrySky : 9th February 2011 at 12:48.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ive noticed that too Dippy. Though I think its mostly cabs and autos, and yellow boards who do that. The larger cars let you go.

V-Drive - Supposed you have to take a right or a left, you can get into that lane from a kilometer back, at least not always. Then you have to move into another lane.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Somethings are strange but I guess those are some survival tactics on Indian Roads. Cab guys and auto guys in Bangalore practice many mind games

One of the things I have noticed is, if you show any sign of slowing down, the other drivers (in junctions, mostly) overpower you even if you have the right of the way.
If you don't want to give way to a vehicle who is intruding in to your lane or block your way, pretend as if you have not noticed him. If you let the guy know that you have noticed him, then it becomes your responsibility to slow down and let him break the rule!
Old 9th February 2011, 13:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Actually it just struck me, thats its not only while in traffic. There have been instances when I have to change lanes to overtake a truck who is going slow, I give the indicator to move and presto the car in the next lane who is at a 5 car distance suddenly puts pedal to the metal and comes honking to block me from completing the move. 5 car distance ?? Its just ego problems I guess.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Something that I religiously follow during my regular highway drives. However within the city limits when you switch on the indicator and change lanes, it seems to hurt the ego of the driver tailing you. It's seldom that I have seen someone actually letting you change lanes even after switching on the indicators.

Some imbeciles honk like maniacs even though there is enough space for you to change lanes.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 9th February 2011 at 13:20.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:29   #10
BHPian

I face the same problem in Bombay traffic. Indicators give the guy being overtaked a feeling of insecurity. The worst are empty LCVs with higer power/weight ratio trying to block you and come all the way honking and revving on the clutch to scare you away.

I have also observed that there are instances when if one lets a vehicle pass, he/she will actually move faster. But the 'Me First' feeling and cars behind you honking like crazy prevent you from doing so and this frequently results in a deadlock.

Its pure ego. I also think that people feel its more important to stop someone from progressing rather than your actual progress. Every successful attemt will satisfy your ego and might also bring out a sadistic smile.

EDIT: Another question that causes this feeling: If I let someone pass and overtake me, will he reciprocate when I need to overtake?

Last edited by benzinblut : 9th February 2011 at 13:30.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:52   #11
BHPian

Spot on dippy with the observation. same with me, with indicators on no one allows me to change lanes but if i do it with out indicators it is smooth. it is really frustrating. Also i always give way to a person who has given indicator because thats the way it should be and how much time are we going to save by not allowing a car to come in front of us? Guess this things will never change in India to a large extent. Hows the scene abroad in other countries? Do they allow to change lanes or same as India?
Old 9th February 2011, 13:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
the guy behind, comes extra fast
?
This does happen at times, but to go left there is no way other than using the indicator. But to shift to right i do take out my hand and wave slowly, it always works.

Somehow the electronics pisses out most drivers but good old hand works fine.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I have seen:
Slow moving/traffic jam situations where all the lanes are moving slowly/standing still
  • Some drivers keep trying to change lanes repeatedly. This irritates the hell out of me. One lane may move faster for a while while the others are slower or standing still. Some folks from the lanes standing still tries to get into the faster moving lane. And when the faster moving lane comes to a stand still or becomes slower than other lanes, these very drivers then try to get back into those lanes that they had initially moved out from. I am sure it will irritate anyone. During these times, there is absolutely no space for the car to change lanes. So you are kind of forcing the other vehicle to back off. This is bad traffic manners. One should stick to his/her lane. This also happens at toll booths. Jumping from one lane to another.
  • There is something blocking a lane or someone wants to move to the right/left for an exit. One should be considerate in such situations and allow lane changing. In such situations many of the people behind the car that stops to let someone in, keeps honking to show their displeasure, which is bad.
  • There is a lane for going to a right exit/turn. The traffic light turns green for the right lane only for a short interval compared to the other lanes that go straight ahead which gets green signals for a longer time. People use the lanes going straight to get ahead in the queue and then try to get into the lane to take the right exit. Again bad traffic manners. Do not expect me to give way to such people. I will honk and block the person. This happens at some signals in Pune. Sometimes, these people simply block the lanes going straight, because the traffic police are mute spectators. These very guys will try to cut into the queue at toll booths.
  • I see a similar behaviour even on highways. People try to squeeze into very small gaps even at high speeds. That is outright dangerous and one should not expect the other cars to slow down to let you in.

Last edited by pjbiju : 9th February 2011 at 14:04.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think it is a human behavior. Have seen this happening even in the US. There are more considerate people there though. It all depends upon the mindset of people behind the wheels and also on the situation. For example a long traffic jam will affect the mood of drivers and they tends to become less considerate and more aggressive. Haven't you noticed the same happening when trying to pass a slow moving vehicle? They try to speed up the moment they see that you are about to pass him. That's ego at play.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:37   #15
BHPian

In fact I tend to do the exact opposite. In regular traffic, whenever a car in front (or side) tries to change lanes without giving indicator, I try to block him and give him an earful about not switching the indicator before changing lanes, but if the driver indicates well in advance, I happily let the car pass me or even come ahead of me by slowing down slightly.

Maybe somewhere I have the tendency to reward good habits and reprimand bad ones and it shows on the road!
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks