Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 14:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Use of turn indicators to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic. Does it matte

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
What I have noticed is that in many places where traffic is supposed to move in a single file (for eg: nearing a junction, waiting for signal), there are some "smart" guys who create a new lane beside you on the right side. And when they encounter traffic coming from the opposite side, they just put their left indicators on and try to merge back into the original lane. In such cases, I do my utmost to ensure that they are left "hanging" in the middle and that they get an earful from the guys approaching from the opposite side
I do that as well. Did that once to a Tempo Traveller which had come up on the wrong side of the road and tried to force his way in front of my car. I did everything i could and didnt allow him to. Since he was now staring at the face of a truck which was threatening to trample over the Traveller, as well as the abuses from the others waiting, he was forced to reverse all the way back to the back of the line.

Sequence of events in pictures :

Use of turn indicators to change lanes in traffic and the highway. Does it matter?-photo0153.jpg

Use of turn indicators to change lanes in traffic and the highway. Does it matter?-photo0154.jpg

Truly got what he deserved.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 15:18   #17
BHPian

Re: Use of turn indicators to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic. Does it matte

You are spot on Dippy, my experience as well. I also have some more!

If I put my hand out for a RIGHT TURN signal - Thats it. It is the most powerful signal than turn indicator or anything else. So my learning - HAND SIGNAL works at its best (TRY OUT!). Have you seen the small black fingers sticking out of the city bus drivers (I cant see that finger - not hand - at all) :-)

Also on highways / moving traffic when I want to overtake a car (I am on the right side of the lane and the car which I am overtaking is on the left lane), when I give a signal (through horn / flash of headlights) then quite often they come to the lane in front of me blocking my way (ego problem?). If I dont give a signal or when I am reasonably fast there isnt an issue also.

So quite a small things we learn while driving.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 15:27   #18
BHPian

This is 1 thing which irritates me to the core. The biggest culprits in Mumbai are the cabbies & autos when they are running empty. They may be in the right lane, but if they see a passenger waiving out to them they simply dive in without any signal or whatsoever. It makes me go wild & I used to give a lot of them my piece of mind but I now feel that these guys R incorrigible & does not make sense to stress my vocal cords.
Aahhh... I absolutely forgot to mention that the Mumbai Police is also very much in the same league. U try @ over take them & they almost seem to take it as a personal offence. I fail to understand that the very people that they R supposed 2 protect are the ones in direct danger because of them.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Even though it gets pretty irritating at times, we should refrain from changing lanes without indicating, esp. when one's moving into a moving lane from a stationary lane in traffic. It's true that it seems easier not to flash/honk and just go ahead with your maneuver, but do remember that in a lot of such instances, it's because the other person probably isn't even aware that you're there. Might turn dangerous very quickly if he decides to change lanes when you're beside his rear door (or in his blind spot).

1. Choose your lane in advance and stick to it. Even though the other lanes might seem to move faster, it evens out by the end of the jam most times.

2. Give the other guy space if he wants to change lanes, once. You're perfectly entitled to block him if he tries to swing in/out of your lane repeatedly down the line.

3. While passing, try to make sure the guy in front has noticed your move before you execute it. Not everyone watches their RVMs religiously, so they might not be as aware of his surroundings while driving as you are.

Do things the safe way, the right way, even if it takes longer. Your car will love you for it too.
Old 9th February 2011, 16:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
V-Drive - Supposed you have to take a right or a left, you can get into that lane from a kilometer back, at least not always. Then you have to move into another lane.
I agree to this. However the original question was for a situation in a bumper to bumper traffic, and most of the times lanes are changed in that situation when an opportunity to get into a lane which seems to be moving faster comes up.
Old 9th February 2011, 16:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Every vehicle driver in bumper-to-bumper traffic is already so frustrated; they wouldn't let off an inch of their lane for someone changing lanes.

Cabs/buses do this aplenty; they'll be in one lane and seeing a passenger, they'll try to switch lanes and block both in the process. There are also nuts who are in the right-lane till the signal and then realize they had to take a left turn.

No amount of rolling down windows and extending the hand or indicators works.

I have seen vehicles closing in every cm. they can get onto the car in front just to ensure no one cuts in.
Old 9th February 2011, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Use of turn indicators to change lanes in traffic and the highway. Does it matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I do that as well. Did that once to a Tempo Traveller which had come up on the wrong side of the road and tried to force his way in front of my car. I did everything i could and didnt allow him to. Since he was now staring at the face of a truck which was threatening to trample over the Traveller, as well as the abuses from the others waiting, he was forced to reverse all the way back to the back of the line.

I've done that too Benny. Infact that has happened quite a few times. I have had trucks, tempos and at times even buses overtaking me and then trying squeeze in front of me. Never let them get away with that. I dont budge and then they invite the wrath of the oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-drive View Post
I agree to this. However the original question was for a situation in a bumper to bumper traffic, and most of the times lanes are changed in that situation when an opportunity to get into a lane which seems to be moving faster comes up.
Have edited the thread title for a wider discussion not restricted to traffic jams alone.
Old 9th February 2011, 17:49   #23
BHPian

Re: Use of turn indicators to change lanes in traffic and the highway. Does it matter

I have noticed that many people give you way if you use a hand signal rather than an indicator in heavy traffic (especially if you make a gesture with your fingers as if to say: just give me a second).
Old 9th February 2011, 18:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
I have noticed that many people give you way if you use a hand signal rather than an indicator in heavy traffic (especially if you make a gesture with your fingers as if to say: just give me a second).
Doesn't work with cab drivers. Works wonders if a female/senior citizen is giving the hand signal.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
In fact I tend to do the exact opposite. In regular traffic, whenever a car in front (or side) tries to change lanes without giving indicator, I try to block him and give him an earful about not switching the indicator before changing lanes, but if the driver indicates well in advance, I happily let the car pass me or even come ahead of me by slowing down slightly.

Maybe somewhere I have the tendency to reward good habits and reprimand bad ones and it shows on the road!
Nell then i guess you will be doing less driving and more shouting.

Better you watch your road in front instead of getting into a road rage with the other driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Also on highways / moving traffic when I want to overtake a car (I am on the right side of the lane and the car which I am overtaking is on the left lane), when I give a signal (through horn / flash of headlights) then quite often they come to the lane in front of me blocking my way (ego problem?). If I dont give a signal or when I am reasonably fast there isnt an issue also.
Narayan these kind of things happen very rarely on the highway and nobody likes to get hit from a high speed vehicle on the highway.

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th February 2011 at 18:21.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 18:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Actually it just struck me, thats its not only while in traffic. There have been instances when I have to change lanes to overtake a truck who is going slow, I give the indicator to move and presto the car in the next lane who is at a 5 car distance suddenly puts pedal to the metal and comes honking to block me from completing the move. 5 car distance ?? Its just ego problems I guess.
Idiots. There's more born every minute.

I would still advise you to signal your intentions. Believe it or not, there are drivers who would slow down/ allow you to change lanes rather than force their way through. The next time, I could be behind you . And I'd rather have you let me know that you intend to cut across rather than be surprised!
Old 9th February 2011, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Idiots. There's more born every minute.

I would still advise you to signal your intentions. Believe it or not, there are drivers who would slow down/ allow you to change lanes rather than force their way through. The next time, I could be behind you . And I'd rather have you let me know that you intend to cut across rather than be surprised!
+1. I still always give my indicators even if its a slight left or a right I want to take. Heck even if I have to go under a flyover I give my indicator before hand itself. The other day I slowed down to go into my building gate, gave the left indicator, a biker guy just cuts me of from the left me having to break suddenly. On top of that he has the nerve to abuse me. I abused the hell out of him back for overtaking from the left instead of of the right where there was space of one car to go through let alone a bike. And mind you I was at the extreme left because I had to turn in. Gave him an extra dose of abuses for not wearing a helmet.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 19:02   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL. Normal people must think TBHPians are crazy. Abusing them for cutting from the left, not wearing helmets, seatbelts (my pet peeve), keeping kids in the front seat and even (horrors!) in the driver's lap. In Pune I got abused by a car coming the wrong way when I refused to be a wimp and let him pass. Can you imagine!

Back on-topic, the Vento has a cool feature where you can tap the indicator stalk and it blinks left or right 3 times and then stops automatically. Use it a lot in these situations.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Back on-topic, the Vento has a cool feature where you can tap the indicator stalk and it blinks left or right 3 times and then stops automatically. Use it a lot in these situations.
Yes . I just love that feature. Have used it extensively with all the German cars I have driven so far. They should now start including it as a standard feature across all cars.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
In fact I tend to do the exact opposite. In regular traffic, whenever a car in front (or side) tries to change lanes without giving indicator, I try to block him and give him an earful about not switching the indicator before changing lanes, but if the driver indicates well in advance, I happily let the car pass me or even come ahead of me by slowing down slightly.

Maybe somewhere I have the tendency to reward good habits and reprimand bad ones and it shows on the road!
+1. I also do the same, except for the blocking part - but sure will give a nice honk!
I use indicators whenever possible, and I have seen people - including cabbies, reciprocating with the same manners, which feels good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks