Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

Playing the pilot to the Forester

I was driving back to Bangalore today. I was on the Hassan-Bangalore stretch and I had just crossed Chennarayapattana, and I see a SUV behind me with a Chevy badge. Well, it had to be the Chevy Forester, a SUV I have admired and respected for many many years. Then a wicked thought crossed my mind. I wondered how long will it take the 2.0L Chevy to pass me if I don't make it easier. With that thought I just took off with my Baleno. This was a 2 lane highway, not meant for crazy speeds, so I didn't exceed 140Kmph. Not surprisingly the Chevy kept up, I kept pulling away and the Chevy managed to keep company. This went on for 15 minutes and the Forester made no serious attempt to pass me. I started suspecting that the Chevy driver must have turned me into his pilot car. Darn! he was turning my own trick on me.

Having that thought in mind I ran into a contruction zone where a friendly bone rattling speed breaker welcomed me. As I was getting through the construction zone I remembered that for the next few KMs the road was not so great. Therefore I slowed down to 40s and forced the Chevy to pass me. I didn't relish the idea of crossing my sword with a Forester on a rough stretch. It wouldn't be level playing field for my car...

Thus ended my first brush with Chevy Forester on Indian roads.
Old 4th January 2006, 00:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't relish the idea of crossing my sword with a Forester on a rough stretch.
Very sensible thing to do.
Old 4th January 2006, 06:42   #3
BHPian

I dont think the Forester with its heavier weight can pass the Baleno on a straight line. On bad roads however..

I'd love to get my hands on a used Forester. I guess they're almost as jealously guarded as VTECs
Old 4th January 2006, 09:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

encountered a similar scenarior with a Forester on Mysore Road - When it came to roadworks - the tables were turned !!
Old 4th January 2006, 15:05   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fun experience! Nothing like the pleasure of comparing two entirely different machines on the highway. I had a ball taking the C220 and the Vtec on a family trip.

The Forester, IMHO, is overrated. I have driven it and really dont think too much of it from the enthusiast point of view.

Quote:

I'd love to get my hands on a used Forester. I guess they're almost as jealously guarded as VTECs
The Forester is so rare, that the government may offer protection to the ones on the road!

GTO
Old 4th January 2006, 15:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

You probably might have encountered my colleague, but wait! He ripped off all the Chevy badges and imported Subaru badges for his Forrester from the US. He keeps driving b'ween Bangalore and Ujjire near Dharmasthala.
Old 4th January 2006, 15:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The Forester, IMHO, is overrated. I have driven it and really dont think too much of it from the enthusiast point of view.

GTO
Depends on what you want of the vehicle. If you are considering the 0-100 timings, Forrester might disappoint you, especially if you are used to VTEC and the C. But if you want to rip off with the same speed on any road, either good or bad, this is the car for you. I do not remember any car within this range which gives the same confidence when being driven like that on such kind of roads. I drove mycolleague's Forrester around a bit, but could not get a long stint. I really loved the directness of the steering, the agility and handling of the vehicle inspite of its bulk.
Old 4th January 2006, 16:07   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nope, I am not talking about the 0 - 100 timing buttttttttttttttttttt the laggard of an engine! Its got absolutely no life below 2000 rpm and was a pain to drive in the city. The interiors were boring and the available room was unacceptable for the rear passengers.

Lastly, the Looks : I hate them. Forget all the SUV talk, to me its just a station wagon. It may handle well for an "SUV" but quite a few sedans can teach it a thing or two.

GTO
Old 4th January 2006, 16:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Its got absolutely no life below 2000 rpm and was a pain to drive in the city.
GTO
It is overrated.

Surya
Old 4th January 2006, 18:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if you guys have tried to take sweeping corners in the Forester at 150+. I have, and trust me, it is the one car you'd want to have in a situation like this. And gunning it on a dirt road without a care...
Old 4th January 2006, 19:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The Forester is so rare, that the government may offer protection to the ones on the road!

GTO
Guess what the humble Farmer of Karnataka uses ??????
Old 4th January 2006, 20:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Guess what the humble Farmer of Karnataka uses ??????
You gotta be kidding me! Really? DG goes around in a Forester and not an Amby... Hmm.
Old 4th January 2006, 21:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

the corners at 150+...in a forecter...c'mon..
Old 4th January 2006, 21:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
You gotta be kidding me! Really? DG goes around in a Forester and not an Amby... Hmm.
Yep - was coming from UB towards Mallya and we were stopped and waved over to let a two white ambys and a purplish Forester go by - passed Mallya Hospitl and see old DG being helped out
Old 4th January 2006, 21:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

If someone told you what DG's family, or actually just one grandson, drives in, you'd be shocked.

Iceman, not sharp corners, but winding roads...you know the type...AWD and all that stuff really helps...the test drive guy was scared as hell!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks