Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 18:51   #1

Car damaged after getting hit by cricket ball.

My car(Daewoo Matiz) was damaged today( broken door mirror and damaged taillights) due to some people playing cricket. As soon as I confronted them after the incident they said that "Now it has happened and nothing can be done". I am wondering whether I can file lodge a police complaint against these people. The concerned people are also very 'rowdy' type and always are creating nuisance by playing cricket in the afternoon and making a lot of noise. My car does not have a comprehensive insurance policy so there is no chance of making claims.

It would be very helpful if anyone could guide me about the right course of action to be taken.
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Car damaged after getting hit by cricket ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian_c View Post
My car(Daewoo Matiz) was damaged today( broken door mirror and damaged taillights) due to some people playing cricket. As soon as I confronted them after the incident they said that "Now it has happened and nothing can be done". I am wondering whether I can file lodge a police complaint against these people. The concerned people are also very 'rowdy' type and always are creating nuisance by playing cricket in the afternoon and making a lot of noise. My car does not have a comprehensive insurance policy so there is no chance of making claims.

It would be very helpful if anyone could guide me about the right course of action to be taken.
This incident is very saddening. And so does it make my blood boil.
How old are these ruffians?
What I suggest you do is, get up right now, and drive to the nearest police station wasting no time. File an FIR against the protagonists of the crime, for vandalism. Take pictures of the car, and show the car to the policemen. You could also considering leaving the car at the scene of the crime and getting the officers to inspect it.

Remember, it is your right to register an FIR, and in the end (which should be soon, get compensated.

BTW, where exactly was the car parked? Was it parked on the roadside or in the apartment lot?

Wishing you all the best.
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:24   #3

These scoundrels are a mixed bag some are in their late 20s and some are just kids. The person who hit my car is a president of a local mandal and he gets into fights with people every now and then. I felt my blood boil too but violence will simply beget more violence, so I simply walked away from the scene and started browsing the internet looking for the best course of action. Just some time a some piaggio tempo hit my car by the doorside and caused a good dent and tore some metal off the surface. I couldn't locate the rascal as it happened at late night. Spent 5 grand for the repairs and painting.

I am considering filing a report today. Just waiting for dad to get back from office.
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Going by how the guys have reacted, it doesn't seem like they would realize it is their mistake.

What is the point of filing a complaint and all from the perspective of having a reimbursement?

Is there a better parking spot you can find?
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:11   #5

Dad doesn't want to file an FIR.

He thinks we shouldn't be messing with these kind of people and create some sort of a rivalry. I will just have to find a new parking spot. The trouble is that there is none nearby.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dad doesn't want to file an FIR.
Your dad is quite right. You really don't want to create bad blood and make enemies with a known bad character of your locality. There are some situations in life where you swallow your ego and pride and walk away to minimise damage - and this is one of them. Park the car some distance away in case you cannot locate a space closer home.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Given the way our society works, I guess it would safer on your part to go for a Comprehensive insurance instead. No point in arguing with such "kids" - they would only create more trouble for you. There is no point going to the police as well - they would only look to extract money from you.

Am just putting up a realistic point.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:44   #8

Maybe you guys and my dad are right after all. :(
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:51   #9
BHPian

I hope you are not planning to change your area of residence every now and then and move out of country or go underground after winning the case. coz the price you will pay for self fixing of 2 items is more than you find tyres being cut , dents on car , glass window of house broken etc every now and then and you wont be able to even find out who did that...

.. some time it better to bear a small loss over a big trouble later... remember in Delhi people have been killed only due to shoulder pushing when 2 strangers crossed each other. Life is precious and a taillight and mirror is insignificant in front of that.

Ps. these are my 2cents, you are open to take your own path.
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:16   #10
BHPian

I have faced innumerable episode like this but couldn't do nothing about it. What everyone has suggested is true. If you take action now you will have to move away or hire goons to protect from these people (mandal guy and all). That is the sad state of our country. If you are the majority then you win, else you swallow it and go home.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you guys and my dad are right after all. :(
I feel you should go file an FIR before it's too late. About people here cribbing about making enemies, it is those guys who are upto making enemies.
Unless you stand up for your rights, such people won't change.
Anyway, this is from the perspective of a disciple of the law (except a couple of laws which make no sense), and the others might be in some way correct. But it is you who will be spending on the repairs.
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:01   #12
dot
Senior - BHPian

@Vivian_c, I agree with @Arkin evoisrevo. You should at least try to talk to police once. After that whatever happens is beyond your control anyways. But at least you tried. After that you can spend your money to repair the damage.

OT experience: My credit card was stolen and it was traced to a local boy. Filing an FIR was such a major challenge since the local goons and politicians, NGOs, boy's father, mother, uncle, aunts and their whole community either came to cry at my feet or pass grave vindicative comments. Police was with them. But FIR was ultimately filed and boy went to prison. This happened in Yerawada during late 2008.
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:42   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
OT experience: My credit card was stolen and it was traced to a local boy. Filing an FIR was such a major challenge since the local goons and politicians, NGOs, boy's father, mother, uncle, aunts and their whole community either came to cry at my feet or pass grave vindicative comments. Police was with them. But FIR was ultimately filed and boy went to prison. This happened in Yerawada during late 2008.
Way to Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I feel you should go file an FIR before it's too late. About people here cribbing about making enemies, it is those guys who are upto making enemies.
Unless you stand up for your rights, such people won't change.
I agree, if there is no deterrent everybody will trample on your rights. No point blaming society about how people give a damn and behave with impunity, and then encouraging them to continue being careless by not giving them trouble in return. However I feel there has to be an objective that goes beyond punishing the rascals. You need to aim for financial compensation. Your legal actions should not be perceived as vendetta but you should pose you case as a person with limited financial means who is hurt by their actions.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 3rd April 2011 at 21:43.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

First off, Vivian_c, this is a bad thing indeed and I feel really sorry for you. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I feel you should go file an FIR before it's too late.
Young Blood, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@Vivian_c, I agree with @Arkin evoisrevo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I agree
What does he gain by pursuing the case?. A door mirror and a taillight?. Worth 1000 bucks?

Well, if those rascals learn a thing or two by this then I would say it would be worthwhile, as atleast others can gain in the future. Going by the series if incidence I don't think they would even care, and would even repeat the same thing all over again.

In any other case, the duration of pursuing the case against them and the outcome is jut not worth the 1000 bucks.

Repair the TL's and Mirror, and move on.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Look for a better and safe parking space and move on. It is worthless to get into brawls with these street urchins!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks