Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 11:45   #46
BHPian

Re: My Rs.525 lesson in stupidity at a Petrol Pump Station.

Oh boy! I almost bought this thing on a BP bunk! Good I avoided the temptation, but before saying no I tested on almost every scratch of my i10 !!
Old 15th April 2011, 11:47   #47
BHPian

I am extremely cautious at the petrol bunks and do not allow anyone to talk to me or distract during the transaction and even after that.
Once without my knowledge someone tried cleaning the windshield with water, and I asked them to stop.
Since I have been going there for almost 10 years now and know all the staff including the owner, nobody thinks to play the fool with me.
The other occupants of my car would be stunned to see my tough behavior at the bunks and so I go there by myself.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:57   #48
BHPian

I have used the Shine Star product after paying 350/- for the kit and must say that the things work as expected. However the demo phase i made him use the same bottle as i was going to buy to ensure i have quality stuff and not a bottle of junk.

I am specifically happy with the Multilayer cleaner as the effect was good on a dirty door trim due to my leg rubbing the panel for my walkin style of getting in the car and i keep using the Multilayer shiner specifically on the Horizontal Surface when i am pressed for time for a thorough Wax Polish.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased the similar kit at BP petrol pump in Pune for Rs 325. I don't remember the name, but bottles are yellow in color. He also showed me the demo. It has one spray for car interiors, one stain remover & one coating for car. I never used coating but spay & stain remover are quite effective. It removes all small small stains from the car. Also spray for interiors is also very good. It gives waxing layer to the interiors & it also smells good. It gives shine to the interiors as well.

I have no issues till date. I used things 3-4 times till date. By the way i bought that kit around a year ago & not recently. My experience is very good with that kit, may be i am lucky
Old 15th April 2011, 22:43   #50
BHPian

I also ended up purchasing this kit after the sales guy removed a couple of nasty stains as a demo. Bargained hard and paid 400 bucks for the kit. Moreover, the guy assured me that the camp was there (at the bunk) for a couple of days and he'll give me another demo in case anything goes wrong with the product.

But the very next day I observed slight discoloration at all areas where the sales guy sprayed I went back to the bunk, but obviously he was not there. Never touched the product again...
Old 16th April 2011, 11:56   #51
BHPian

I missed mentioning one thing - as soon as I opened the pack, the labels just fell off. Though the label mentioned the Mfg date as 11/10, I think the actual product was way out expired.

Anyway - I'm not visiting that bunk in my life again. And yes, only branded products for my car.

On the other hand, I recently went and bought a pair of Adidas shorts for Rs.899. I found a near clone of that shorts in Spencer Plaza for Rs.150.

The brilliant lessons that life teaches me.
Old 16th April 2011, 14:49   #52
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
The brilliant lessons that life teaches me.
Not just you, thanks to your posts, we also learn.

At the risk of repeating my previous post I will say again. Please dont use unbranded or unknown car polishes, solutions, cleaners. The chemical components in the unknown formulations are not guaranteed. They could be bad for your car. For example, strong formulations can decolorize a metal surface. Further, humans in contact can also be affected.
Old 16th April 2011, 17:18   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

They use guilt as a sales tactic.

I bought one of these at a pump in Mumbai (HP I think) for 400/- or so. It wasn't the same brand but does that really matter! It was sunshine yellow is all I recall.

The guy started rubbing some white stuff on my rear bumper and I was shocked and told him to wipe it off. But the missus was curious and challenged him ro get rid of a pesky scratch on the Swift's bumper. He proceeded to rub the hell out of the bumper and what do you know- the scratch vanished!

When the LOH says you need to buy something, what can you say? I resignedly shelled out the 400, knowing I would never use the product as it had been intended. One Sunday long ago even took the whole kit down and tried rubbing out some new scratches. No luck.

It's more or less rotted away now- I don't dare keep it in the car fearing something similar to what happened to @Brix. Sorry dude- hope there's no lasting damgage to the interiors.
Old 17th April 2011, 15:08   #54
BHPian

Based on all the inputs, I guess the con is simple.

Use a genuine product to make the demo and then sell the fake one. This is because the scratches were removed, the product he sprayed actually cleaned the interiors and the windshield fluid he used also cleaned the glass.

The old switcharoo.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:36   #55
BHPian

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. I know how tempting it must have been - I've been on shopping spree recently getting stuff for my car. We all get conned once in a while. As a general rule one must avoid buying anything in haste especially if the seller is using pressure tactics.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:26   #56
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Brix - Sorry to hear NO ONE DESERVES MERCY THESE DAYS. -- yes it is true.
As said by many the product is sold only fuel stations. I saw the guy on last saturday in IOCL (shanthi services in Meenambakkam). He speaks only Hindi.
They will not react, they act immediately by spraying and start cleaning without your concurrence...
It is always better to never listen to these kind of people...
Old 21st April 2011, 12:35   #57

Saved Rs. 525 and more importantly the agony! Thanx to this Post. Was offered the same stuff while filling fuel in a bunk near Kukatpally in Hyd. Gave the vendor a complete run down of whats going to happen to his product in the next 24 hrs. Amusingly, the guy vanished quitely without being defensive.
Bhatman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 12:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
"A fool and his money are easily parted"

INTRODUCTION:

-I didnt bargain because it was awfully hot and this guy was perspiring heavily too. I took pity on him and bought the product. NO ONE DESERVES MERCY THESE DAYS.
Sorry, can't second this one though I empathise with everything else.

I will rather put it this way -

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DESERVE MERCY, BUT BE WISE IN CHOOSING THEM.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:17   #59
BHPian

Just took a look at the website aerosol filling job Work aerosol room freshner manufacture bike spray shiner polish manufacture car care kit manufcature. What horrible standards! The badly photoshopped lady with Anjali Chem superimposed and holding a huge "tin" of Mr Magic made me laugh out loud. Hell! even i can do a better job of web designing.

And for car care either use branded products or H2O+Paper/Cloth.Better safe than sorry.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:32   #60
BHPian

I happen to have the same set of car car products, also bought at a petrol pump (not by me). Thankfully, the set appears to be in order - there is nothing spilling or leakages. However, the scratches remain unscathed no matter how much I use them. Btw, if kept for too long, these liquids tend to get spoiled.

Is there really anything that can take off the scratches? I got the scratches repaired at the workshop only to get new ones within a week. Any ideas other than living with them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks