Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2019, 22:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Superb report - thanks for sharing! This one is going straight to our homepage
Thanks

Quote:
Big fan of the Boxster & Cayman here - these cars have a driving purity that is unmatched by any in the same segment, or even segments above.
True. The operational phrase is driving purity and that can only be assessed by hard core enthusiasts.

Quote:
I was recently reading a Jalopnik thread where a lot of members posted they'd pick the Cayman over the 911 Turbo. And that's in the USA with better roads + more race tracks.
Yes, the Cayman has been placed over the 911 as the one with more appeal by a lot of folks.

Quote:
These cars are just PERFECT for India where 500 BHP Super Cars simply cannot be high-revved, or their limits exploited as they're a bit too much for our driving conditions.
The bigger engines turn out to be quite a handful on our roads and this reduces from the fun factor.

Quote:
Don't like the move to turbo-4s though. While it brings a better torque spread, the aural symphony of the old 6-cylinders was really something else.
I just wish Porsche would work on the aural tune of the 718’s. It’s a bit of a dampener.

Quote:
But the price Well, all I can say is these make awesome pre-worshipped buys. Lots & lots of choices in the used market.
The pre-worshipped ones are available at quite a steal as there aren’t too many takers.

Quote:
If you haven't driven a Boxster or Cayman, borrow / buy / steal one for a TD. It'll make you a fan for life.
You said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Good short review
Thanks Turbanator.

Quote:
attention from the public was unmentionable, actually too much for my comfort.
It can get uncomfortable. My opening line was something else but it's been toned down.

Quote:
did you checked the tyre pressure of the car you were driving and the condition of the tyres or just some bad roads?
I had the car with me for two days on one occasion and one day on another occasion so I don’t think it could be the tyres. I did have a doubt on the tyre pressure but the car’s TPMS indicated all was well and the car was driven on good roads.

I also drove the Cayman. The Cayman has a lot more poise on account of better torsional rigidity and you can certainly carry faster speeds easily. However I have confined the review only to the Boxster.

Quote:
Mostly to take your Girl friends- right?
Turbanator, has anyone told you that you’re very good at guessing games?

Quote:
This is due to the 40,000 USD limit for the lower duties.
I did wonder why they had a 6 lakh limit on options when they could make a lot of money if they hadn’t put a ceiling on it.

Quote:
For MY 2019, Porsche has done the Sports Exhaust as Standard which used to be an option earlier (Rs 4-5 lac value).
The Sports exhaust can currently be procured outside the 6 lakhs limit as it available as an original accessory with the dealer. This would be a better option. The external distinguishing feature is the dual exhaust tips as against the single squarish exhaust port on the regular exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Nice report AMG Power,
Thanks Karan!

Quote:
I too believe the 718 has enough & all the power you'll need to have fun on Indian roads for an entry level Porsche only if you could ignore the 4cyl config.
True. As an entry level car, it has more than what one could handle under Indian road conditions.

Quote:
the wheels look standard (Boring)
It is the standard configuration. If you even need a Porsche crest on those bland wheels, its extra. There are a lot of optional wheels with bigger sizes but they would come within that 6 lakh limit so if you need to change the wheels it’s better to do so as an after market fitment.

Quote:
Whats the exact size of the tyres on the model pictured ? Also are they staggered.
They are staggered - the front is 235/45/18 and the rear is 265/45/18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I've spent considerable amount of time driving a friends 718 Cayman.The handling and ride is fidgety, but it makes it more involving than say a 911.
That’s an accurate assessment of the Cayman. The Cayman is more sorted than the Boxster because it has better torsional rigidity as it isn’t a soft top. Folks even suggest that it is a far better car than the 911 (one of them is on the link in GTO’s post)

Quote:
The 911 will cut through bad undulations at 170km/h but this will probably jump and hop around because of the low weight, track and wheelbase. Funny the sensation of speed is more relevant in 718 than the 981 Cayman. It's strange because they are supposed to be extremely similar cars.
These cars beg for good roads and thats when they display their superlative prowess.

Quote:
The 4Cy Boxer engine has a distinct brash sound, its rough and doesn't sing like the 981 but I certainly seem to like it. It isn't that bad in my opinion, but nowhere as good as a flat six.
it's pretty rough sounding and I thought they could have made that bit better.

Quote:
The Cayman is way more hardcore than the 911 in general, more of a purist baby Porsche. .
Folks even venture to say that Porsche aren’t intentionally putting in a larger engine in the Cayman to protect the legacy of the 911.

Quote:
Its a shame the S isn't available here. I think the chassis can take so much more.
Its available in most markets overseas and anyway its an import like the 718 so could have been easily been made available here too.

Quote:
I'm surprised by the 1.25 quoted figure in Delhi it can be had on road for around 100 lakhs. .
The difference would be on account of lower taxes, almost everything is cheaper in Delhi. (Ive run out of my smilie quota) In the south it varies between 1.20 to 1.25 according to the state.

Last edited by AMG Power : 28th February 2019 at 22:13.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 08:46   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
I did wonder why they had a 6 lakh limit on options when they could make a lot of money if they hadn’t put a ceiling on it.
This is because of Custom Duty rates, below 40,000 USD they pay only 60 %. Beyond this value its 100 %. This is also the reason why they have only the basic variant and not S as the difference will be very high.

Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!-1.jpeg

http://www.siamindia.com/economic-af...8&pgidtrail=20

Quote:
The Sports exhaust can currently be procured outside the 6 lakhs limit as it available as an original accessory with the dealer.
For 2018 Models and before, this used to be the preferred option but from MY2019 it's standard from Porsche Germany at no Charge. So technically MY 2019 are little cheaper then older ones.

Quote:
The pre-worshipped ones are available at quite a steal as there aren’t too many takers.
Can you share some examples if these are listed on-line somewhere. As per the sales guy here and by my own experience, most Porsche's tend to retain the value unlike BMW or MB. One of the reason being almost nil discounts at the time of sales. Recent discounts on the Macan were more an exception I believe.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st March 2019 at 08:51.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 09:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share some examples if these are listed on-line somewhere.
Here are two sites where you could pick up.

https://m.cartrade.com/buy-used-cars/porsche/718/mm

https://www.bigboytoyz.com/porsche/delhi/boxster

The second site Bigboytoys also usually have many as you can see from their site. They are currently sold out now. It would be a good idea to be in touch with them and let them notify you when they pick up one as they seem to be close to your location.

Another way to pick up used is to be in touch with dealerships. Most dealers sell the TD cars with very little mileage on them. Usually one or two are sold in a year by each dealer. As for the risk involved, it would be the same as buying from elsewhere as most Boxsters would be subject to spirited driving.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:18   #19
BHPian

[quote=AMG Power;4469840]

Some corrections on the info:

It's not the 718 came with that lovely 3.6L Flat 6 engine. The engine that generated 315 BHP and 360 Nm of torque. It had that lovely exhaust note that only a 6 cylinder could give you. It was smooth and, of course, powerful enough. It was the Boxster S.

718s (982) never came with 6 cylinder engines. The previous gen Cayman/Boxster (981) had the Flat 6 engines

For the purists, the top of the line 718's (not available in India) will continue with six cylinder engines.

718s, "S" "GTS" included are not available with 6-pot in any markets yet. There are unconfirmed news about 718 "6" models. The 718 GT4 with a detuned 4.0 Flat 6 from GT3 is around the corner, probably being a May 2019 launch.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:15   #20
BHPian

Great writeup! However I'd like to highlight one more negative that in some cases might appear like a big one.

Porsche India doesn't allow you to spec cars with options above 6L in the case of 718 which is quite a bummer. If someone's spending a crore on a car it better must be desirable and as per taste but this restriction that they claim is because of some unexplainable homologation issue is a let down...in some cases atleast.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:23   #21
BHPian

Great report! I've just picked up a 718 Cayman a few months ago and it feels like the most perfect 'sports' car for Indian roads!

Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!-9073a9bd1efe4d1d8770f28b91dfdce1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Porsche India doesn't allow you to spec cars with options above 6L in the case of 718 which is quite a bummer. If someone's spending a crore on a car it better must be desirable and as per taste but this restriction that they claim is because of some unexplainable homologation issue is a let down...in some cases atleast.
They don't disallow you from doing it. You are more than free to spec it beyond 6 lacs, but it is highly discouraged as the few lacs more on options increases the import duty by 40-50% - when you factor that the couple of options you'd miss out on don't even make sense anymore. Adding to that, things like rims, sports exhaust, LEDs etc. can be ordered after your purchase and fitted by their service centre so you don't miss out on much if you spec it smartly.
Porcupine is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 00:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Happend to bump into this 718 Boxster multiple times in a day across South Bombay.

Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!-20180520_142420.jpg

Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!-20180520_141823.jpg

Porsche 718 Boxster - 300 BHP, 380 Nm torque, 0-100 in 4.5 seconds!-20180520_141818.jpg
///RMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 14:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Great report! I've just picked up a 718 Cayman a few months ago and it feels like the most perfect 'sports' car for Indian roads!

Congratulations on the Cayman. Nice choice. It's more practical than the Boxster. Happy Motoring!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks