Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV

Hi,
My usual boring morning drive to work was suddenly made interesting by spotting a unique Mitsubishi car. To my eyes it looked humongous and unmatched presence, and seemed well maintained in original paint. It looked like a MPV/mini-van but there were no rear doors so my mind leans towards a pick-up modified with a good fitting hard top (like Sierra) with a door only on one side. Even the running board is only for the driver. I know that this was not sold in India, so must've been imported. The VAHAN database just says the FC is valid until July 4 2018 (just expired) and is a single owner car.
I know BHP-ians will identify this, help me out

Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV-mitsubishi_car.jpg

I wonder why a MPV of this size and space is not sold in our country, given that we like big vehicles and like to carry a lot of people and luggage along with us. Innova/Hexa et al are not of this size and space, clearly a notch below. Not sure about the upcoming Carnival but going by the online reviews from others, i think Carnival might be a proper mini-van. I've sat in a Toyota mini-van (don't remember the Model, shame on me, done 100K+ miles) in the US of A, just loved the space and practicality on offer.

P.S: I've edited the picture to hide the number plate to protect the privacy of the owner (trying first time to edit stuff, so pardon my work). The picture was taken when we were standstill and about to start, couldn't take more pictures as we headed in different directions after this.
Mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV

That's a 4th generation Mitsubishi Delica

Few more spottings by BHPians :

1) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post2244927 (Pics: Imports gathering dust in India)

2) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post1627060 (Supercars & Imports : Kerala)

3) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post1354627 (Supercars & Imports : Chennai)

Last edited by Klub Class : 8th July 2019 at 15:28.
Klub Class is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 15:16   #3
BHPian

re: Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV

That's the 4th generation Mitsubishi Delica aka Space Gear.

Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV-images-11.jpeg

Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV-images-10.jpeg

Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV-images-9.jpeg

Courtesy - Google

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 8th July 2019 at 15:19.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 16:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
That's a 4th generation Mitsubishi Delica
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
That's the 4th generation Mitsubishi Delica aka Space Gear.
Courtesy - Google
Thanks guys, i knew someone would identify this quick, but not this quick. Y'all identified it within a couple of minutes

@Klub Class: Thanks for sharing other instances of spotting the Delica, but seems like the other instances were all of cars lying around gathering dust. Is this the first time we have spotted a well maintained and currently under use Delica?

@jailbird_fynix: Thanks, what's with the 'Space Gear', was this just a name or there is a backstory to this?

Other questions i had, would be grateful if you could answer:
Was this ever sold in India?
What is the story of this car? Was this a hit in the other markets where this was launched?
Was this/is considered to be reliable? I am amazed at someone driving around an imported 15 year old unicorn
Not so important fact i picked up from Wikipedia page of the Delica, that confirms my earlier doubt that it indeed had a commercial truck version
Old 8th July 2019, 16:49   #5
BHPian

Quoting our moderator CrAzY dRiVeR from a related thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is the second outing for the Mitsubishi Delica in the indian market, the first time under the Mahindra brand name as the Voyager.

It was the second generation of the Delica - and back then it was mostly considered an overpriced and glorified Omni on wheels. Ended up as one of the biggest market flops.

Please help identify this Mitsubishi spotted in Bangalore? EDIT: It's the Delica 4x4 MPV-mahindravoyagerforsaleak_l17852913901418718232.jpeg
Link to related tbhp thread

It seems like they've tried to bring the Delica to India quite a number of times after that as well. (Link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
@jailbird_fynix: Thanks, what's with the 'Space Gear', was this just a name or there is a backstory to this?
It was called the Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear in Europe which was eventually shortened to "Space Gear". Australians got to call it the "StarWagon".
jailbird_fynix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 23:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Hi,
To my eyes it looked humongous and unmatched presence, and seemed well maintained in original paint. It looked like a MPV/mini-van but there were no rear doors so my mind leans towards a pick-up modified with a good fitting hard top (like Sierra) with a door only on one side.
I had seen one in Powai, Mumbai once with MH plate. Was it MH?

I had thought it was an off-road MPV built for folks who go to remote or off-beat places with a lot of gear/equipment - Desserts, Beachs, Jungles, under developed nations, etc. Simply based on the dimensions, tyre size and GC. It had "Outlander" or "Overlander" 2000 and 4x4 written on it but I was not sure if that was the model name or put by the owner.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 00:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This one was sporting KA plates. This one sure had the presence of an SUV especially from behind.
Old 9th July 2019, 00:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post

I had thought it was an off-road MPV built for folks who go to remote or off-beat places with a lot of gear/equipment - Desserts, Beachs, Jungles, under developed nations, etc. Simply based on the dimensions, tyre size and GC. It had "Outlander" or "Overlander" 2000 and 4x4 written on it but I was not sure if that was the model name or put by the owner.
The chassis and engine of this and the old Pajero are the same. They haven't quite given it the same off road capabilities though
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 07:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

The Delica is a popular offroading vehicle in the Japanese Mitsubishi circles. I regularly see quite a lot of them on Instagram posts along with the Pajeros.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks