Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2023, 17:22   #76
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!

Maintenance Update

The car is now 12 years old and inspite of being extremely reliable, there are items that need replacement to keep it running in top shape. I keep reading Porsche forums and found these to be common problems with the 987.2. All pretty minor but being a Porsche, they do cost a small fortune to do. On the flip side, once I replace them, I am good for 10 years (Porsche quality). Here is a quick list of things I have replaced in the last couple of months:

1. Cooling System (I could see the coolant reducing occasionally and this is a common problem)
- Replaced the front left radiator
- Thermostat replaced
- Coolant reservoir tank replaced
- All hoses replaced (these become brittle over time)
- New coolant of course
- All related smaller parts to do the above (gaskets etc)

2. Shifter Cables (known to snap on almost all 987 manuals)
- Upgraded to Numeric Racing shifter cables that are much stronger (that my brother got from the US)
- Changed transmission oil (due after 12 years as per the manual)
My gearshifts are so much better feeling with the new cables

3. Other small items
- Driver power window switch was being moody. Changed to a new one
- Front bumper had holes for number plates which I hated. Filled and repainted the bumper. Will now put a smaller number plate that will make the front look nicer (any suggestions?)
- Power steering oil changed

Overall, I am quite happy with the work done as it makes me more confident on using the car more often. I have not been able to use it as much as I would like to but I have started using it more the last few months. Before, I was always too scared about parking etc. I am still very cautious but trying to get myself to take it out more!

After a recent car wash at home
My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-ezgif.comvideotogif2.gif
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 02:13   #77

I've been following your thread since the beginning, amazing car and you're taking great care of it! I hope it serves you reliably for many more years to come!
Ritzy2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 21:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Maintenance Update

The car is now 12 years old and inspite of being extremely reliable, there are items that need replacement to keep it running in top shape. I keep reading Porsche forums and found these to be common problems with the 987.2. All pretty minor but being a Porsche, they do cost a small fortune to do. On the flip side, once I replace them, I am good for 10 years (Porsche quality). Here is a quick list of things I have replaced in the last couple of months:

1. Cooling System (I could see the coolant reducing occasionally and this is a common problem)
- Replaced the front left radiator
- Thermostat replaced
- Coolant reservoir tank replaced
- All hoses replaced (these become brittle over time)
- New coolant of course
- All related smaller parts to do the above (gaskets etc)

2. Shifter Cables (known to snap on almost all 987 manuals)
- Upgraded to Numeric Racing shifter cables that are much stronger (that my brother got from the US)
- Changed transmission oil (due after 12 years as per the manual)
My gearshifts are so much better feeling with the new cables

3. Other small items
- Driver power window switch was being moody. Changed to a new one
- Front bumper had holes for number plates which I hated. Filled and repainted the bumper. Will now put a smaller number plate that will make the front look nicer (any suggestions?)
- Power steering oil changed

Overall, I am quite happy with the work done as it makes me more confident on using the car more often. I have not been able to use it as much as I would like to but I have started using it more the last few months. Before, I was always too scared about parking etc. I am still very cautious but trying to get myself to take it out more!

After a recent car wash at home
Great to see you taking care of the Porsche. Porsche has been very lazy in calculating the service intervals trying to maximize the value to the end user. The actual intervals based on a real world feedback from a lot of Porsche owners and my own personal experience servicing cars, I'd say it is safe to follow the following guide that I made for my own car:

1. Engine Oil – Every Year
2. Brake Fluid – Every 2 Years
3. Air Filter – Every 2 Years
4. Cabin Pollen Filter – Every 2 Years
5. Spark Plugs – Every 4 Years
6. Power Steering Fluid – Every 4 Years
7. Coolant – Every 4 Years
8. PDK Clutch Fluid – Every 5 Years (Not Applicable to your car)
9. Gear/Transmission Fluid – Every 5 Years
10. Serpentine Belt – Every 6 Years
11. Wheels & Tires – Every 6 Years (Unless you wear them off before that )

Sooner is better but never later than this. I've read a lot of Coolant and Power Steering Fluid leak and corrosion issues due to a delay in servicing them because Porsche mentions them as a lifetime component/fluid. I'll probably do a full write up on servicing with complete details maybe sometime in the future.

As for the license plate, I didn't want to drill a hole either in my bumper. So, I used the 3M SJ3550 velcro to mount the plate. It's an automotive outdoor strength adhesive backed velcro to mount such things. I also went to the extent of first putting on a PPF cutout on the bumper before mounting the velcro (Being OCD about my car), but you can skip that if you want. Another option is going to your local automotive vinyl/glow sign board shop and getting a custom cut out done for the white backing and the letters thereon in your choice of font. I did that once for my Cedia, looked pretty clean.

I'm sure you enjoy this car, trust me no modern vehicle comes close to the visceral experience of this one. I keep driving the new cars that come out and recently drove the M340i (Not a fair comparison though) but it felt so fake and ZERO feedback as compared to this baby. I don't know where the auto manufacturers are headed these days with their "Performance" cars. Hence, these cars (987.2 and older gen) are a unicorn in my eye. Wishing you many more happy miles brother
The Rainmaker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 10:43   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzy2K View Post
I've been following your thread since the beginning, amazing car and you're taking great care of it! I hope it serves you reliably for many more years to come!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
1. Engine Oil – Every Year
2. Brake Fluid – Every 2 Years
3. Air Filter – Every 2 Years
4. Cabin Pollen Filter – Every 2 Years
5. Spark Plugs – Every 4 Years
6. Power Steering Fluid – Every 4 Years
7. Coolant – Every 4 Years
8. PDK Clutch Fluid – Every 5 Years (Not Applicable to your car)
9. Gear/Transmission Fluid – Every 5 Years
10. Serpentine Belt – Every 6 Years
11. Wheels & Tires – Every 6 Years (Unless you wear them off before that )
Thanks a lot for this. It’s similar to what I have read online but it’s helpful to get the reassurance from you. I’ve been changing all of these except the wheels. Do you really think wheels need to be changed? Never thought of them as a consumable.

Went for a Sunday morning drive after a long time. Best time to drive the car. Sharing a few pictures!

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-img_0311.jpeg

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-img_0308.jpeg

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-img_0305.jpeg

My pre-worshipped Porsche Boxster S (987.2) - A true sportscar!-img_0303.jpeg
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 11:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you

Thanks a lot for this. It’s similar to what I have read online but it’s helpful to get the reassurance from you. I’ve been changing all of these except the wheels. Do you really think wheels need to be changed? Never thought of them as a consumable.
Oops slight typing error at my end since I copied it directly from my service/maintenance schedule. By wheels and tires I only mean Tires. Wheels need not be changed unless they're bent or crooked. Tires need to be changed every 6 years irrespective of their tread wear because rubber gets old and brittle and for these cars you really don't want to take any chances.

For wheel balancing, I'd always recommend going in for at least Road Force Balancer by Hunter or even better would be a Geodyna 9000p by Hofmann. There's only one place in my city where they have the Hofmann and I got the balancing done from there itself. Tells you the lateral runout (For both wheel and tire - Most important!), tire condition, wear level, imperfections (Sidewall bulge/damage) etc. precisely. It's amazing what that machine can do with all that tech. In fact, I had imported the original Hofmann weights from Germany and used only those on my car while getting the wheels balanced. Hofmann is a factory supplier (OEM) for Porsche and a majority of German automakers.

As for wheel alignment, I'd suggest going to a shop where they have the Hunter Hawk Elite with the liftable ramp and plates on all 4 corners (Most Porsche dealers and MRF Tire Franchise have that). That seems to be the most precise compared to the ones with plates on the floor since I doubt most of the tire shops would ever cross balance the plates with a level.

Hope I could make things clearer now
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 15:44   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Thank you

Went for a Sunday morning drive after a long time. Best time to drive the car. Sharing a few pictures!

[
Very stylish indeed brother! Mustard leather driving gloves and all! Very tasteful! I like! Well done!
Im also a bit of a stickler for the right look for each car. Like a jacket and hat for a jeepy thing and a flat golf cap and gloves and scarf and all for a sports car.
Heck, YOLO so might as well take the trouble!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 18:03   #82
BHPian

Just perused through it. Wonderful thread, wonderful car!

Do you have to plan every journey before leaving the garage or can you freely explore Bangalore in your Boxter?

Do you stick to certain roads or can you manage to tread any road conditions without ride height issues?

Can you take it out for dinner and leave it parked by the street peacefully?

Can it be used as a grand tourer across the country? Any plans for longer trips outside Karnataka?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks