Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Face Off: Aston Martin DB9 vs Porsche 911

Wow! Loved the way you wrote your journey and I really admire your patience in the buying process. Congratulations on getting the perfect Bond car with 12 cylinders under the hood
Old 16th July 2021, 15:15   #17
SDO

Refreshing post, Herbie ! Enjoyed it for the tasteful description of these two legendary sports cars.

The way you are taking care of your cars, the DB9 has found a perfect home. Glad that it wouldn't be a garage queen.

I hope to see the Morning Frost on Kochi's roads some day. The photoshoot bridge looks very familiar.

Last edited by SDO : 16th July 2021 at 15:20.
SDO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 15:43   #18
BHPian

Fascinating. What a review about two absolutely amazing cars... and the author is from good old Kochi too. Thank you, thanks a lot.
sureshkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 16:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Congratulations for the beauty Herbie . It's one thing to have the resources to buy premium cars and completely another to have passion and taste for the same. Contacting Aston Martin experts from other countries and taking their advice was a great decision, I doubt anybody even does all of that these days.

People just go to a famous used luxury car dealership (the one which is associated with Bollywood songs ) and pay the amount in advance without even thoroughly checking the car. Slightly but was your Cayenne S diesel a special order import? As I believe Porsche didn't offer the powerful diesel S variants for India.
Thanks Lowflyer, I do try to learn about the cars I intend to buy well before I buy it. Even for the mods, I do my research quite a bit before plunging in. I did 2 years of research for the right supercharger for my E39 before I hand carried it from the US.

The Cayenne S Diesel is a special order import. V8 4.2 Litres, 850 Nm Torque and 390 bhp. Porsche did this quietly for a very small bunch of people. I am told there are probably less than 25 such cars in India. This rivals the Cayenne GTS in performance. Most parts are interchangeable - except the engine of course. I waited 2 years for this car for the sheer practicality of it (read large SUV oil burner) combined with mind blowing performance. There is a story behind this and someday will be another thread
Herbie is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 17:35   #20
BHPian

Fantastic! .. both the car(s) and, the owner. What a writeup! Seemed as if I was watching your experience unfold in front of my eyes (may be a good episode in 'How I got my super car' series on the Team-bhp OTT, if we had one running )... Thanks for the post.

It takes a lot of passion and perseverance to get the best. Hope you have more to share in the times to come....
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 00:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post

These are cars that take you to another level of being. It connects you to your inner self, awakens in you a desire to excel, to out perform, to bring out your brilliance with a passion that goes beyond words. While the engineers at Gaydon and Stuttgart designed and developed these cars, they represent the evolution of two great companies and the best of their offerings. Today, both Aston Martin and Porsche have moved a long way over the last 10 years, but these icons will always remain and evolve to represent the best of an automotive world that will soon change to something of the past once EV’s start their rule. For those of us lucky enough to be part of this journey, let us take a deep breath and cherish that thought.
This struck deep. Thank you.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 09:18   #22
BHPian

Excellent, enjoyable write-up! Aston Martins are beautiful-looking cars, which are classy & unobtrusive, blending into the traffic - many times I have noticed them only after they quietly slip by (unlike a Ferrari or Lambo that you hear well before you see them). They are invariably in muted, sober colours unlike the reds, oranges & yellows of the others.
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 23:08   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on the car, Herbie.

I actually saw this car on the road a couple of months ago. I was standing on the side of the road at the Aroor toll plaza getting fastag affixed to a friends car. I had my back to the road when I heard a low guttural exhaust note. Initially, and rather foolishly, mistaking it for a tuner car with an aftermarket exhaust, I paid it no mind. Then the sound changed. It went from a roar to a scream. There was no mistaking it. This was no 4 cylinder turbo petrol. I turned around as fast a physically possible to catch a glimpse of a beautiful white Aston zoom past. I still have goosebumps when I think of this moment. The car is absolutely gorgeous. Wishing you many many happy miles.
Rajiv Krishnan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 00:47   #24
JTM
BHPian

Hearty congratulations, Herbie, on securing such a fine piece of automotive history. The DB9 is one of those cars that makes anyone go weak in their knees, regardless of age, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have it belong to such a fine enthusiast in our very own Kochi. Wish you lots of happy memories with this svelte beauty.
JTM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 07:43   #25
BHPian

Congrats on the Aston.

I saw your car getting some TLC at EVM Porsche, in December when I went to get some work done on mine. Stood there admiring the gorgeous lines for some time.

Posting two of the pics I clicked then.
Attached Thumbnails
Face Off: Aston Martin DB9 vs Porsche 911-20201230_135653.jpg  

Face Off: Aston Martin DB9 vs Porsche 911-20201230_135723.jpg  

vivekji05 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 09:06   #26

Thanks for those pics Vivekji05.

For all those in Cochin, We can meet on a Sunday once the weekend lockdowns are over - Vivek, would love to say hello to your Porsche too.
Herbie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 17:07   #27

It is 1 year since I posted my earlier article. I thought I would post a short review of the ownership experience since.

The beautiful Yellow 911 left my friends garage forever 2 months back. He was not driving it much and felt it would provide more joy to someone who would use it more often. It was painful for me too, to see it go.

My DB9 has now clocked 13000 kms - 9000 kms since I picked her up.

Meantime most of my other cars have clocked much more, with the Cayenne S Diesel clocking the most - for sheer practicality + comfort, Diesel economy and physics defying performance. I will one day write the story of this car.

Ownership Review of the Aston Martin DB9:

1. Presence : For sheer presence and that special spot when you drive up into Grand Hyatt or Crowne Plaza or Taj; +10. Spots open up, valet comes running and move the marker cones to find space right at the entrance.

2. Performance : A daily driver with nothing vocal about it while you drive it in city. Upto 3000 rpm, it is as quiet as your Maruti Swift. Can be a screamer if you drive it manually in 2/3rd gear for short bursts touching 3000 rpm or more ( have done so very rarely). With the low centre of gravity, you are glued to the road. The more I have driven it, the more I have gained confidence and have used it in all kinds of traffic and on highways. Just have to be careful of the front overhang while crossing the very well designed car breakers; +8

3. Fuel Economy : In City - 6 kmpl, Highways 8 kmpl at constant speeds. Preferable to use 95+ Octane Fuel. XP95 has been a blessing. For 470 BHP; +8

4. Gremlins : a. Fuel quality sensor showed up its colours again, but after a high speed run with XP95, it disappeared.
b. ABS sensor fault showed up once after driving in the rain and parking for a week. It too disappeared after I drove it for a day in bright sunshine.
c. Seat Belt tensioner light has showed up. The spring inside the passenger belt tensioner is broken and it has to be replaced. +5

Then I spoke to a friend who owns a Ferrari - he advised me not to get one !!

5. Service : Due now and have bought all the service spares from the UK. Fluids ordered from Addinol. As soon as I am back from my travels, I should get to this. With appropriate diligence you can get the OE spares cost effectively.

The above are the tangible quotable stats that an objective world would like to hear.

Perhaps for enthusiasts in Team BHP this is not the important part. That review should connect you and I from our hearts to the car we drive. It is not a means of transportation, it is not meant to take you from point A to B. It is not meant to save you money, or be rational, nor do you have to justify her presence in your life.

The Aston Martin DB9 is art on wheels. It is perhaps among the least complicated of super cars, with no overdose of electronics. Everything about the DB9 is simple and functional. It has been simple to live with and hopefully shall remain that way. So, is it good ? No. It is not good. It is incredible...

I could retire today if I didn’t have kids in college. I could retire today if I didn’t have cars to maintain. The point is, these are necessary in a man’s life to give him the balance and perspective of being alive and meaningful. One day you and I will retire, but it doesn’t have to be now. The essential elements of life include that which keeps you going; and that which keeps you going, keeps you alive, purposeful, excited, pushing you to do better. Sounds Philosophical ? Nay, it is the truth.

Some of us find meaning in those moments, the roar of a Naturally Aspirated V12 Internal Combustion Engine revving up at 6000 rpm, with pops and bangs, a curve at speed to get your neck twisted, the kick in your stomach pinning you down to your seats, the smell of the rubber burning and the heated brakes, the exhaust note and accompanying smell….It is not just this. The accompanying tactile feel sitting in it, the touch and feel, the smell of warm leather, the roar of 12 cylinders when you push that beautiful crystal fob into its slot..there are simply no words to describe that feeling - it can only be experienced....with gratitude.

Our children may not have the pleasure of this, with EV’s silently creeping into our lives, so much so that, there is no longer a longing to get a licence….but one day it will make a great story for their children and their grandchildren. Let us give them those stories, while we live our life , keep it going meaningfully with purpose and don’t let the old man in….to keep the memories forever…..
Herbie is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 17:52   #28
BANNED

Nice thread. That’s quite some GK on the Aston Martin. Congratulations and wish you many more miles of happy motoring!
EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 08:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The beautiful Yellow 911 left my friends garage forever 2 months back. He was not driving it much and felt it would provide more joy to someone who would use it more often. It was painful for me too, to see it go.
I can well imagine the fun you would have had.

Quote:
My DB9 has now clocked 13000 kms - 9000 kms since I picked her up.
The fact that you are able to use these machines so effortlessly says a thing or two about your driving and ofcourse the car.

Quote:
Meantime most of my other cars have clocked much more, with the Cayenne S Diesel clocking the most - for sheer practicality + comfort, Diesel economy and physics defying performance. I will one day write the story of this car.
Having encountered the Cayenne in its many forms, that would make for one awesome read.

Quote:
It is not a means of transportation, it is not meant to take you from point A to B. It is not meant to save you money, or be rational, nor do you have to justify her presence in your life.
Absolutely concur.

Quote:
I could retire today if I didn’t have kids in college. I could retire today if I didn’t have cars to maintain. The point is, these are necessary in a man’s life to give him the balance and perspective of being alive and meaningful. One day you and I will retire, but it doesn’t have to be now. The essential elements of life include that which keeps you going; and that which keeps you going, keeps you alive, purposeful, excited, pushing you to do better. Sounds Philosophical ? Nay, it is the truth.
Interesting thoughts!
megazoid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 10:02   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
That review should connect you and I from our hearts to the car we drive. It is not a means of transportation, it is not meant to take you from point A to B. It is not meant to save you money, or be rational, nor do you have to justify her presence in your life.

The Aston Martin DB9 is art on wheels. It is perhaps among the least complicated of super cars, with no overdose of electronics. Everything about the DB9 is simple and functional. It has been simple to live with and hopefully shall remain that way. So, is it good ? No. It is not good. It is incredible...

Our children may not have the pleasure of this, with EV’s silently creeping into our lives, so much so that, there is no longer a longing to get a licence….but one day it will make a great story for their children and their grandchildren. Let us give them those stories, while we live our life , keep it going meaningfully with purpose and don’t let the old man in….to keep the memories forever…..

I love all of these sentiments and resonate with them. Wholly and Absolutely.
I am at-least in part, a follower of some of these tenets in my own small way.
And your write up! My Lord what a lovely read on a Monday morning. Thank you so much for this super start to the week!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks