Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2022, 01:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Can I import my LHD car (Caterham) from USA, by stripping it down to parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Your post is correct, except for a slight clarification here. You don't need a separate clearance, the import documents and duty paid receipts suffice.
Unless, the rule has changed recently. Back in 2014 when I imported my bike, its not exactly 'a separate clearance', but there is an internal govt dept-to govt depart cross check about the validity of the customs clearance documents I submitted to RTO. Also, in my case once the customs clearance was done, although its well within the powers of the concerned local RTO (Koramangala in BLR for me) to issue the Registration process, he didnt want to take the responsibility and I had to again get an approval from the Transport Commissioner's office. Of course, in my absence all the running around was done by my wife and since we decided to do it fully the legal way without paying a single penny bribe, they did make us run for 3 months including reasons like the particular model number (R1200GS) wasn't in their Koramangala system and the IT dept had to change it blah blah. So my wife nagged them to no end and eventually they gave it!
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 01:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can I import my LHD car (Caterham) from USA, by stripping it down to parts?

Yeah it's changed. Not necessarily changed for the better though.
Old 4th January 2024, 17:33   #18

LHD -> RHD a classic BMW M635csi (1983)

Been back in India for 14 years, and I miss my Bimmer....
Name:  M635csi.png
Views: 291
Size:  93.3 KB

Left it behind with a friend in the US when I moved to India. Now that I am moving towards retirement (to Mysore) I am thinking of importing it somehow...

Except it's LHD.

Any advice on the rules and/or feasibility of converting such a classic car to RHD? I don't anticipate driving it much except for occasional weekend trips on the beautiful Mysore - Virajpet highway stretch.
It's an M635csi - so it has all the trim and handling (shocks, brakes) of the M6, without the headache of the M-engine.

- Pradeep
bimmersenti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 10:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

Re: LHD -> RHD a classic BMW M635csi (1983)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmersenti View Post
Been back in India for 14 years, and I miss my Bimmer....
Attachment 2553902

Left it behind with a friend in the US when I moved to India. Now that I am moving towards retirement (to Mysore) I am thinking of importing it somehow...

Except it's LHD.

- Pradeep
You lucky guy!

Unfortunately, you will not be able to register it. The only LHD cars allowed are those for exhibition purposes and manufacturers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks