Team-BHP - BMW Art Cars in India!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   BMW Art Cars in India! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/28118-bmw-art-cars-india.html)

Well good news for all BMW Art car fans, they're going to be in India!! The cars are going to be displayed at the Jehangir Art Gallery form the 6th to 16th September. Here is the link for the BMW site:

International BMW website

Here is a little history of the BMW Art cars:

Quote:

BMW is proud to bring the BMW Art Cars to India. Since 1975, prominent artists have embellished a BMW with their artistic vision. Each is a vivid expression painted on a most inspiring canvas and a colourful testimony to our belief that ideas are everything. The BMW Art Car Collection combines world-renowned art with world-class automobiles. Travelling from their origin in Germany, the BMW Art Cars are priceless masterpieces that reflect the cultural and historical development of art, design and technology. Join us for this fabulous celebration that puts India – a burgeoning art market at the forefront.

The BMW Art Car program was conceived in 1975, the year that French auctioneer and racecar driver Herve Poulain first entered Le Mans. Searching for a link between art and motorcycles, Poulain asked his friend Alexander Calder to commission a rolling canvas on the BMW 3.0 CSL that he would race. In the years that followed, this unique combination of motorsport and BMW design fascinated the famous artists of our time. Since the series' inception in 1975, fifteen memorable racecars have been painted by brilliant art masters such as Andy Warhol, Frank Stella, Roy Lichtenstein, Robert Rauschenberg, Jenny Holzer and David Hockney (all have since been displayed in museums from the Guggenheim in Bilbao to the Louvre in Paris.) Together, the art cars form a mirror of contemporary culture, as exemplary as it is unique.
Here are two cars that are certain to be displayed:

So who all attending? I'm in for sure! This is going be a very rare opportunity in India.

For more information about the Art cars, visit here:

BMW World - Art Cars

Just call when you are going.

I like the 3.0 CSL more than the M1. What do the others have to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 545495)
I like the 3.0 CSL more than the M1. What do the others have to say.

Agreed, the "Batmobile" is one of my all-time favourite cars!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ported_head (Post 545491)
Just call when you are going.

Will do.

the 3.0 csl does look brighter and more colourful but i would go with the m1. cant help it i like darker colours and mean lookers. there was a m1 which i missed so my way of lamenting.

Count me in positively. Thanks for the heads up Ishan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 545477)
I'm in for sure![/b]

Great, let's plan a meet too.

Cheers!!!

I'm in for this one. This calls for a meet for art :)

Wow this is great news alright :)! I'm both jealous as well as happy for you guys going! i'll have to be on the lookout for these when they arrive here :)

That M1 was designed and initially built by Lamborghini. I want to see it.

guys i would take a pass as i am not in town. take pictures for sure if you are allowed to that is. will ask my father and brother to have a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 545731)
That M1 was designed and initially built by Lamborghini. I want to see it.

Lambo were also one of the causes for the failure of the M1 just in case you didn't know!

And if you want to see, come to Mumbai!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 545743)
Lambo were also one of the causes for the failure of the M1 just in case you didn't know!

And if you want to see, come to Mumbai!

Would you call M1 a failure? I guess no. BMW consciously pulled out of the supercar genre mainly because they wanted to be associated with practical sports cars/cruisers/tourers.

They had later lent their engine technology/assistance to the McLaren F1.

Well they only ever made 455 cars and had a hell of a lot of problems during its productions due to Lambo's bankrruptcy etc. etc.

To quote a site on this:

Quote:

Much speculation surrounded the BMW Motorsport Division in 1976 on the development of a GT race car for homologation in Group 4 and Group 5 racing. To qualify, BMW had to build at least 400 identical cars in 24 months. The car became known as the "Mid-Engined BMW M1 Project" (E26) and was started in 1976 and completed in 1980.

The Giugiaro-designed M1 was to be assembled by Lamborghini, but Lamborghini's poor financial situation and assembly delays caused BMW to move assembly to Baur, the German convertible builders. By the time production resumed, the homologation rules for international Group 5 racing had been changed. Since BMW had not met the required sales figures, the M1 went to the new Procar series instead. By the time BMW had sold enough cars, the M1 was no longer competitive for Group 5 racing. In 1981, David Cowart and Kenper Miller won the IMSA GTO category. The M1 Procars became largely featured as a support series for most Formula 1 races throughout Europe until the car was discontinued in 1981.
If they didn't have the problems they might have made or sold more than they did & it might have been better known. But yeah, it wasn't a complete failure, just that with so few pieces produced, it remains not that popular or well known. Plus, I don't think BMW in those days had the kudos to sell a supercar.

And yeah, I know about the wonderful MPower engine in the F1.