Team-BHP - 'S-Class' with suspension problem??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   'S-Class' with suspension problem?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/47092-s-class-suspension-problem.html)

Saw this S-Class this morning in front of me. It was weird that the car was listing to the right. It is visible in the two photos posted below that the right was lower than the left by at least a good 6 inches. There was only the driver in the car, no other passenger.

I have seen old taxis in this state, but not what I expect from a Mercedes & that too an S-Class!!

Any ideas as to what could be causing this??

'S-Class' with suspension problem??-imag0053.jpg

'S-Class' with suspension problem??-imag0054.jpg

Don't the S Classes have air suspension. I believe they're pretty complicated.

they have an adjustable suspension he might have adjusted this on the fly or something and their is some malfunction.

Some W220-series S-class had complaint of losing air compression of the suspension. But mostly the vaccum loses when its parked for some hours, but it'll raise as soon as the engine is on. In the above case, if the car is running in that condition, then one of the shocks must have failed.

Mikem it looks like the right shock has got jammed. It does happen with the air suspension when they get old and worn out. The owner needs to replace them and maybe thats what he is doing. The picture is taken opposite the catering college at shivaji park heading toward mahim. So a possibility the car is heading to the workshop.

The tilt is within 3". and it seems surely a hydraulic failure, why does she look less tilted when you were doing 44kmph than at the lower speed. And the S has hydraulic suspension or Air suspension folks!!? But what surprises is that such a failure can be to the front or the rear of a car, how come to one side?

I can also see another car to the left of the merc, which leads me to believe that the merc may have swerved to the right to overtake/ pass that car, thereby giving you the impression that it is tilted to the right.

It doesnt appear to be tilted in the 1st pic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsrini (Post 1007500)
I can also see another car to the left of the merc, which leads me to believe that the merc may have swerved to the right to overtake/ pass that car, thereby giving you the impression that it is tilted to the right...

This is what happens when you watch too many American movies which has all those Cadillacs bouncing around like water beds!!! :uncontrol

The photo is taken in a fairly traffic intense area, and our friend's speedo shows 44kmph in the first and 16kmph in second. Do not think the merc was swerving. Definitly some wrong with its back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanmust (Post 1007198)
Some W220-series S-class had complaint of losing air compression of the suspension. But mostly the vaccum loses when its parked for some hours, but it'll raise as soon as the engine is on. In the above case, if the car is running in that condition, then one of the shocks must have failed.

airmatic malfunction.. we had it in our w220.. cost 3 lakhs to repair..

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 1007521)
This is what happens when you watch too many American movies which has all those Cadillacs bouncing around like water beds!!! :uncontrol

The photo is taken in a fairly traffic intense area, and our friend's speedo shows 44kmph in the first and 16kmph in second. Do not think the merc was swerving. Definitly some wrong with its back!

Nice one!:) I am not however referring to such antics. Maybe not a good choice of words.

From the direction of the Merc's travel, it looks like it was trying to "steer clear" of the car on the left, leading to a tilt to the right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsrini (Post 1007559)
Nice one!:) I am not however referring to such antics. Maybe not a good choice of words.

From the direction of the Merc's travel, it looks like it was trying to "steer clear" of the car on the left, leading to a tilt to the right.

The Mercedes was not swerving when I took these pictures. At times he was driving this car like an aircraft, but that had no effect on the list of the car. The car remained with tilt even at a stop signal.

Nothing wrong with the car. Every Merc comes with this hidden feature which is rarely used by customers. Here's a sample of its capabilities:

YouTube - car hydraulics

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dose (Post 1007742)
Nothing wrong with the car. Every Merc comes with this hidden feature which is rarely used by customers. Here's a sample of its capabilities:

YouTube - car hydraulics

Dose I hope you put that in good humor

Quote:

Originally Posted by v10 (Post 1007524)
airmatic malfunction.. we had it in our w220.. cost 3 lakhs to repair..

Was it a S500/430? I thought the V6s did'nt have air suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 1008112)
Was it a S500/430? I thought the V6s did'nt have air suspension.

they did.. it was a s320

ANYWAYS, I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY WORDS BACK..... the above picture does not show the malfunctioning of the airmatic but the beauty of an s class!!!
The road is tilted.. the car is tilting to balance itself so that the owner stays level..