Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Importing a used car on transfer of residence

After doing some extensive searching, I was unable to find the answers to some of these questions so I'm not intentionally reposting. As some of you may know, the rules on importing a car on TR changes frequently so I'm looking for current information, if available. Since I will be moving back to India, I am looking at bringing back one of my cars on the transfer of residence quota. The car has been in my name for over a year, and its in the RHD configuration with the speedo in Kmph so all good on that front.
Most importantly:
1) Many are telling me that the TR quota is now CLOSED as it was being abused? Is this true?
2) Many LEGIT / ELLIGIBLE TR cases have been STUCK in customs for MONTHS and its becoming a nightmare for those people to clear their cars.
3) Is the import duty still 160% for a used car. What is the depreciation allowed? I was told 12%,10%,8%, 8%... and so on for every year the car ages?
Old 13th October 2009, 07:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

You'd best PM prabhuav. He brought in a Hornet a coupla years ago.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:34   #3
BHPian

Sent prabhuav a PM, lets see what he says. Looks like he imported a Honda motorcycle a few years ago, ive seen many such cases. The TR rules and overall experience with the process seems to vary greatly with time and situation. Was hoping someone here has some light to shed on a more recent import with perhaps a car?
Old 13th October 2009, 11:42   #4
BANNED

Any LHD vehicle is not allowed.
If teh vehicle is not certified /exempt then ARAI testing is required. Will cost a bomb.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:52   #5
BHPian

I was in the same boat myself - I have given up hope. Its not entirely impossible , but nearly so. Too many hassles.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any LHD vehicle is not allowed.
The car will be Right Hand Drive (RHD) and speedo will be in km/hr and I've owned it for over a year. Will it still require ARAI testing or based on these facts, will it be exempt?
Looking forward to talking with prabhauv seems like he has experience with this.

Last edited by idnani : 13th October 2009 at 12:07. Reason: MISTAKE: Car will be RHD!
Old 13th October 2009, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnani View Post
The car will be LHD and speedo will be in km/hr and I've owned it for over a year. Will it still require ARAI testing or based on these facts, will it be exempt?
Looking forward to talking with prabhauv seems like he has experience with this.
In the first post ya mentioned it as RHD. LHD cant be imported.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:03   #8

You cant import a Left Hand Drive. Period!!
Old 13th October 2009, 12:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You cant import a Left Hand Drive. Period!!
I'm sorry got confused with the shorthand! The car imported will be RIGHT HAND DRIVE / RHD and in km/hr. Sorry for the confusion! Please advise?
Old 13th October 2009, 12:39   #10
BANNED

Then the question will be is it certified for India or list price is over $40,000 (correct me if I am wrong). If the latter then the home/source country certification will do. In either case you should be Ok. Otherwise, you have to get ARAI certification which is just not worth it.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Then the question will be is it certified for India or list price is over $40,000 (correct me if I am wrong). If the latter then the home/source country certification will do. In either case you should be Ok. Otherwise, you have to get ARAI certification which is just not worth it.
I was under the impression that TR requirements do not call for any certification of the car like the Certificate of compliance or any other type approval (correct me if I'm wrong too) since its used. Also based on the same reason, price doesn't really matter since its second hand (used)?
Old 13th October 2009, 16:08   #12
BANNED

I think the rules were changed a few years ago to the effect that any car imported into India should comply with the local requirements. Foreign certification was accepted only for cars with a list price of over $40,000.

I doubt whether there was any exception made fr used cars. Why not check with the Indian Embassy/ Consulate?
Old 13th October 2009, 19:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

You can import your car idani and have to pay 160+% duty(also need to include chipping & insurance in this cal) + 2lacs plus to clear + shiiping costs , your car being one year old will attract minimum depreciation as you mentioned all this will result in a similarly available local car being 30% cheaper in the secondhand market unless you are bringing something not already sold in India
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 21:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
You can import your car idani and have to pay 160+% duty(also need to include chipping & insurance in this cal) + 2lacs plus to clear + shiiping costs , your car being one year old will attract minimum depreciation as you mentioned all this will result in a similarly available local car being 30% cheaper in the secondhand market unless you are bringing something not already sold in India
The Indian consulate here is not very helpful with such information, tried that route!

I guess this is also an important question that Im getting differeing opinions on. I have owned the car for 16 months, but I have ALL records of it from the date it was new, its a 2006 model and I even have the certificate of origin from the factory showing its date of manufacture and then the date it was first registered. Therefore, can I only claim the 16 month depreciation, for the duration that I owed it OR can I claim the COMPLETE depreciation from 2006. I was sold by clearing agents that I can claim the whole thing but then again they are sometimes full of it and dont give accurate information.
Old 13th October 2009, 22:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

If ya dont mind letting us know...Which Car???

Most Viewed