Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:56   #1
BHPian

Hero MotoCorp plans to drive in superbikes

Souce: Times of India, 23rd Feb, 2012
Quote:
Munjal said the company wants to build up a formidable line-up of top-end high-powered bikes as it develops new platforms with EBR to take on established players. The company's current portfolio-mainly based on technology sourced from erstwhile partner Honda-lacks in high-performance and high-technology areas and the new partnership will help fill the gap.

Source: Economic Times, 23rd Feb, 2012
Quote:
Hero MotoCorp, the world's largest two-wheeler maker, has signed a technology-sharing deal with US motorcycle firm Erik Buell Racing (EBR), a year after ending a 27-year-old pact with Japan's Honda Motors.

Munjals-owned Hero MotoCorp will buy technology from EBR without sharing profits or ownership. After its December 2010 breakup with Honda, the Indian company had been scouting for new technology to compete better in the domestic two-wheeler segment where it holds 56% market share.
This is exciting news from Hero MotoCorp. Superbikes from hero would be an interesting development to watch out for. Buell has been around for a long time and this might prove to be a valuable partnership.
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hero MotoCorp plans to drive in superbikes

Wow, this sounds mouth watering, just when i have started to look at bikes. Yesterday we went to Ulsoor, and the place we went had Hyosung bike showroom next to it, only had few minutes hence could just manage a peek in. Sometime this week or next we need to go there again, will be looking at test drive then.

Something similar from Hero will hopefully be more value oriented as they have the manufacturing capability, as compared to others who are either bringing in CBU's or CKD's.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

I only wonder how long Buell will be content to sell technology to Hero without a share of profits or partnership, especially considering that India is one of the few growth markets for superbikes in the world (especially if our road conditions improve).

Still very exciting news for superbike fans. Looking forward to how Buell and Hero will compete against the Japanese superbikes.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow after all the makes Buell? Why is the Hero not keen on ducati? Buell were known for innovative technology but unreliable at such
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:04   #5
BANNED

By Gawd !! Finally the Munjals have woken UP !!

The only reason why we see the Hum Mein Hai Hero ads more than the cricket matches these days is their bikes are not selling - the RnD at Hero is all screwed UP, they sell 10-12 model here will basically 2-3 engines, the only thing that differentiates each model from the other is COSMETIC changes, they have been looting us for ages now and with Honda moving out, the Munjals have realized that Hero Moto Corp is GOOD FOR NOTHING.

Hero stop minting bucks by selling those puny 100CC bikes, get some REAL stuff here.

LOUSY is the only word that fits Hero Moto Corp !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 23rd February 2012 at 11:15.
Torquedo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Torquedo,
I have same views as per yours about hero moto corp.
They are very good at making fuel efficient engines but making a super bike is big challenge for a company like hero moto corp.
I would not be suprised if they increase bore and stroke of a karizma engine, make it look big and call it a superbike.
They have expertise in small capacity motorcycles but creating a super sports bike has lot of challenges. I feel bajaj is more competent and qualified in building large engines as they invest good amount of money on R&D.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

So, Hero gets the technology alright. But that's not even half the battle won.

What about styling - something that matters just as much in superbikes? Will that be developed in-house at Hero? Hope they don't come out with plain janes.

I just hope they have concrete plans to service these superbikes. No point having the technology but nothing to repair it.

The markets for superbikes in India seems to be opening up!
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:07   #8
BHPian

Is it something like rebadging and selling EBR products or they genuinely be using the technology in their own products or developing something new from the existing line ups?

How long will it take to come ?
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Is it something like rebadging and selling EBR products or they genuinely be using the technology in their own products or developing something new from the existing line ups?

How long will it take to come ?
No rebadging. It looks like Hero will get technology from EBR and manufacture bikes in india. Its gonna take long time before we see a Hero Sports bike in india. Till then the indian market will be flooded with KTM's, Triumph's, Kawasaki's, Ducs, Aprilia's and Harley's.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:27   #10
BANNED

A very interesting partnership indeed. An Indian company whose idea of R&D is new sticker placement, and an American maverick who was considered too far ahead of his time.

Buell always depended on Harley or others for engines. His expertise is in frames, brakes and suspension. Hero knows pretty much nothing except marketing. What kind of monstrosity is this marriage going to spawn? Something radical to prove us naysayers all wrong, I hope.

Cheers.

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 15:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry if I sound like anysayer but I am sceptical. They parted ways with Honda. No matter who they tie up with, they may never be able to replicate the success they had had for 25 years, piggy-riding on the back of Honda. There is nothing in this world on two wheels which can come anywhere near a Honda.
Old 24th February 2012, 20:10   #12
BHPian

A very welcoming idea and step that Munjal's has taken to beat the KTM competition with Bajaj. Finally, India has woken up for the powerful bikes after the last successful launch of RD 350 during the early 80's. I always wanted to have a new powerful bike beyond the RX100 during my college days in the early 90's. Looks like the youngsters in India has a lot of fun now!
Old 25th February 2012, 01:12   #13
BANNED

I don't know what munjals were thinking ,as far as I know(being a former hero honda employee), they were In talks with as atleast 7 or8 motorcycle companies or r&d firms. Most of the top guys don't wanna sell there knowhow to hero. May be they don't think that guys st hero understand the challenge of producing a performance bike.any way what I know is that the current tie up buell will make frame and swing arm design, front and rear suspensions design for a prllel twin(near 600cc), which seems to be coming from china.
Old 25th February 2012, 02:35   #14
BHPian

So they are thinking beyond their 'hum mein hai Hero' video campaign.
I almost assumed that HMC stands for 'Hero Music Cassettes'

But 600+ cc bikes all of a sudden?
Any plans to address the 200-500cc segment ?
Old 25th February 2012, 09:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

As someone rightly said on another forum, lets hope they don't bring in Buell Passion Pro Plus 113.5, BuellMA, BuellPulse 150, etc. Rather bring something that befits the name "Buell".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks