Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 12:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda NC700

Just stumbled upon honda NC700, looks like in the same league as suzuki v-strom. Anybody has heard of it, comparison between the two with whatever info we have?

I might sell my c-50 this summer and get a supermoto/sport/crossover.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda NC700

Quite frankly, crossovers are just not my type of bikes. They are mostly ok to good at most tasks, but fail to excel at anything. You could expect them to be very street friendly and utilitarian at tops and I'd get one only if I was going to have only one set of wheels in the garage to go just about everywhere and lacked the enthusiasm to enjoy s spirited weekend ride. Interstingly the NC 700 even has the dual clutch autobox as option which I would certainly opt for to the practicality if I ever got around buying one of these.

While reading up on the NC 700 I found a very apt link to your point of reference to the V - storm, the Suzuki is a lot faster (read more fun) and even looks more imposing as compared to the NC700. Here have a look:
Compare Honda motorcycles NC 700 X vs Suzuki DL650 V-Strom: Ready for the X?
Old 9th April 2012, 19:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link, although seems to be translated from chinese or something

looks like both might work for me, not too keen on top speed or wheely producing acceleration because I plan to use it daily on public roads (speed limits 45), and I keep my family of 3 at home in mind all the time. The auto box and ABS might kill the fun factor, imagine trying to pull a slide in dirt road with ABS kicking in, so the basic variant is what I am looking at. I am hoping I will routinely make dirt road trips. Might even change to knobbies sometime.

Actually my dream bike is a lighter (400CC?) adventure tourer, without a dirtbike look. The suzuki is a little pricier though. Another strong contender right now is suzuki DR650 (or the 400, if seat height proves to be a deal breaker) which is about 100 pounds lighter, if only it looked a little better.
Old 10th April 2012, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

And now the talk of F650GS in the other thread had gotten me all confused. The single cyl is available for less than the price of V-strom and the NC700 in states.
Old 11th April 2012, 21:20   #5
BHPian

Depends on how much ”air” you want to grab :

2012 KTM 350 SX-F - Motocross Shootout Video - Motorcycle Video - Motorcycle USA

KTM VS GS, fun factor - ADVrider

Enjoying the experience vicariously

Switch from BMW1150 GS to KTM 950 ADV - ADVrider

Because:

Indians have unadventurous taste. Part 2: Adventure Touring and Sports Touring Motorcycles | Bike Chronicles of India
Old 12th April 2012, 18:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

the writer totally forgot about the lack of disposable income for Indians. If Indians had it and bought these bikes, this guy won't have this blog. All he is doing is talking about bikes that one could have bought and introducing the concept of different segments. And then giving it a catchy headline.
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:40   #7
BHPian

Interesting topic. Even I am on the look out for such kinds. Will hook on to this thread.

Options I am considering,
1. F650GS
2. KTM
3. Supermoto Husqvarna
4. Yamaha XJ6

Was looking for a review or long term reliability and usability in India. I ride frequently, from Bangalore to Yercaud or to yelagiri hills. Right now, I do it on RD350. Fuel + Agip/Motul + servicing is expensive. Hence looking for an alternative.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolimuttai View Post
Was looking for a review or long term reliability and usability in India. I ride frequently, from Bangalore to Yercaud or to yelagiri hills. Right now, I do it on RD350. Fuel + Agip/Motul + servicing is expensive. Hence looking for an alternative.
Getting off topic, Good to read that you have a RD. Not quite sure on your statement on the fuel cost bit though. Currently have both RD & FZ1 and the mileage is more or less similar on both bikes. FZ gets a tad thirstier when ridden in upwards of one and half ton mark.
Would you have any threads/photos of your RD?
Old 7th May 2012, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I am on the look out for such kinds. Options I am considering,

1. F650GS
2. KTM
3. Supermoto Husqvarna
4. Yamaha XJ6
Contact Anand from indiMotard Adventures. They sourced a few Husqy's for their customers some time back. They recently also opened a garage which takes care of vintage bike restoration and SBK service requirements too.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:56   #10
BHPian

Thanks aditya. This is one of the simplest and yet crisp websites that I have encountered.
Nice packages. I really liked the Boomerang Weekends deal. Will check with them.

Thanks again for the info. Is Anand the same guy from RDDreams?
Also, do they have valid imports for the bikes they provide?

~koli.
Old 7th May 2012, 16:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Anand the same guy from RDDreams? Also, do they have valid imports for the bikes they provide?
Not sure if this is the same Anand from RDD.

I rode with two guys who had bought the husqy's from indiMotard and they did mention the bikes were full duty paid and street legal.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:58   #12
BHPian

Well, as I expected, some changes to the list.

Options I am considering,
1. F650GS
2. KTM - Out (plainly because its out of Bajaj Partnerships - No offence meant - I just don't like Bajaj)
3. Supermoto Husqvarna
4. Yamaha XJ6
5. F800GS
6. Suzuki V-Storm

Also, is there a plan that BMW will launch the F800s in future?

~koli
Old 30th June 2012, 18:39   #13
BHPian

NC700 is getting fantastic reviews and excellent comments from owners in the UK. Have a look at this NC700 UK forum: http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/forum/7-nc700-talk/

I am half thinking of upgrading from my 03 Fazer 600 to an NC700 S (with ABS, without DCT), purely because it will make a brilliant commuter bike and save me about €10 on fuel every week. The only problem is that I can't justify running a brand new bike as a daily commuter thru salted roads, left to rust etc, and not to mention the lack of any substantial fairing, which is importantly as I do about 60 kms on motorways here at around 120-140 kmph.
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

So I took a test ride of NC700X. Liked the bike. I don't race and have no experience with sports bikes so cannot compare, but it felt quick, nimble and perfect for my needs. I was still leaning a little forward probably because of my shorter arms (compared to the target audience) but I didn't mind that.

the Suzuki guys won't let me test ride DR650 until I have actually bought it. will try another place today.

Now I need to also take a look at the BMW G650 before I make up my mind. Too bad they are not in Cincinnati.

weight wise I would still prefer DR650 which is the lightest (and cheapest) of the lot. if only it looked more street-like.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:16   #15
BHPian

Nice to see you got a chance to feel the ride. Did they have a simple test setup facility?

How was the suspension and on road grip? heard it to be on the very softer side for on road use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks