Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 21:02   #1
BHPian

So, what do Bulleteers think of this retro single - Yamaha SR400?

Your pictures have been re-uploaded via the Team-BHP Attachment System. Please upload pictures ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System. To know how to, click here

Source : http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/01/2...400-for-japan/

Yamaha Produces 35th Anniversary Edition SR400 for Japan

22/01/2013 | By: Dennis Chung

Yamaha
is celebrating the 35th anniversary of its SR series with a special edition model in Japan. Produced in limited numbers, the 35th Anniversary Edition Yamaha SR400 offers an exclusive leaf green metallic color, special badging and, in an unusual gesture, a lower price than the base model.

The original SR500 was introduced in 1978 as a street-focused version of the Yamaha XT500. At the time, the SR500 was marketed as something of a throwback with its 499cc single-cylinder engine while multi-cylinder bikes were the norm. Once offered in multiple markets, the SR in recent years has been almost exclusively sold in Japan as the SR400, with a shorter stroke to take advantage of the country’s 400cc licensing laws. The SR400 was produced through 2008 and then re-introduced in 2010 with a fuel injection system replacing the previous model’s carburetor.

Despite the addition of fuel injection, the SR400 remains a simple motorcycle that remains true to its roots. The current model uses a 399cc engine claiming 30hp at 7500rpm and 23 ft-lb. at 6250 rpm. The SR400 features a double-cradle frame, five-speed transmission, a kick starter, telescopic forks and a rear drum brake accompanying its front disc brake. Yamaha claims a dry weight of 383 pounds, and fuel economy of 96.4 mpg.

The anniversary model has a leaf green metallic color with white striping and gold Yamaha logos and a two-tone brown seat. The side cover and analog instrument gauges bear subtle badging identifying it as an anniversary edition model.

Perhaps the most intriguing selling point is the price. At 510,000 yen (US$5746), the anniversary edition is actually priced lower than the 550,000 yen (US$6197) price of the base model which is offered in pearl white or black.

Yamaha will only produce 1000 units of the anniversary edition SR400 between Feb. 14 and Aug. 31. At its lower price point and limited edition rarity, it’ll likely sell out fast.

[Source: Yamaha]

Source : http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/17...ied-in-the-us/

Spied in the U.S.: 2012 Yamaha SR400 Manufacturer plate on a Japanese-market SR400 Single in Southern California.

December 17, 2012 By Jeff Allen 44 Comments
Photographer : Yamaha Japan

There are a few key elements that come into play when I select a location for a CW photo shoot: a twisty road, clean surface, eye-pleasing scenery and low traffic levels. It would appear motorcycle manufacturers search for the same qualities on their evaluation loops.

At least it sure looked that way when I was snapping photos recently on a secluded backroad for an upcoming story. A brand-new-looking, cream-white Yamaha SR400 cruised by and, whaddya know, it was fitted with a manufacturer plate! Because my camera was sitting on a tripod across the street, I was unable to get that rolling “spy” shot my boss surely wanted, but the bike looked just like the one in the picture above lifted from Yamaha Japan’s website.

I guess Honda, with its new CB1100, is not the only Japanese manufacturer that thinks buyers are looking to shop retro. And what’s more retro than the kickstarter on this super-cool Japanese-market 400?!
Manufacturers bring lots of bikes sold in other markets to the U.S. to test. I wonder if Yamaha might be thinking about bringing the SR400 stateside. What do you think? Is there a market in America for a retro-style 400cc Single?

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2013 at 14:27.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 21:54   #2
BHPian

re: So, what do Bulleteers think of this retro single - Yamaha SR400?

It looks like a cross between the RD350 and the RE 350!

It would have some fans if priced right! Let's say around 1,80000 or below the 2L mark.

I love the positive flick that Yam gears demand. You know you have clicked and moved the gear - not the guessing game of many bikes which seem to be modern!

I hope the new bike has modern structurals - for carving the curves and managing the vibes though.

While I love the demands of a Bullet (like a mistress) and its attention seeking nature, I wouldn't mind a retro chic with the reliability of modern tech.
Old 24th January 2013, 22:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonya View Post
It looks like a cross between the RD350 and the RE 350!

It would have some fans if priced right! Let's say around 1,80000 or below the 2L mark.

I love the positive flick that Yam gears demand. You know you have clicked and moved the gear - not the guessing game of many bikes which seem to be modern!

I hope the new bike has modern structurals - for carving the curves and managing the vibes though.

While I love the demands of a Bullet (like a mistress) and its attention seeking nature, I wouldn't mind a retro chic with the reliability of modern tech.
All said and done .but it is a jap bike,in our Bullet owners words it is a PLASTIC bike. Most of the fitments looks to be of plastic..Bullet toh Bullet hi hai. No one can beat a Bullet.
Old 25th January 2013, 06:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
All said and done .but it is a jap bike,in our Bullet owners words it is a PLASTIC bike. Most of the fitments looks to be of plastic..Bullet toh Bullet hi hai. No one can beat a Bullet.
Wo to sahi. The early jap bikes imitated the Brits (for they were the rulers) and hence a copy of the DNA perhaps?

Even if you explore the Bullet lineage (especially the mini Bullet) you will find relatives in Czechoslovakia and probably some other Euro countries through the Villiers route I guess.

Agree with you about the plastics, I swapped my plastic mirrors on the Bullet that I owned long ago with chrome ones from the market, but couldn't do much about the indicators though!

How can a mistress be replaced for those who are extra passionate?

PS: I am a monogamist
Old 25th January 2013, 07:27   #5
BHPian

Yamaha and other manufacturers need to know that even today people will line up to buy a no nonsense 250-350cc old school bike. There is a huge potential for bringing back bikes which rode well without problems.

Also not every biker is a die hard touring freak who wishes to ride a heavy, unreliable and plain jane 350cc which appear to be aping harleys of today just to survive in the market.

Probably Yamaha's adage "someday you will own a Rd" can be replicated in these categories.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 12:39   #6
BHPian

This is kind of bike that I would like to use for daily commutes and highway runs. Clean looks, no-nonsense gadgets/tools large capacity single. Having ridden Thunderbird for last 10+ years I just love the torque. Sure there are 180-225 cc bikes in market that are faster and refined than the 350 cc breed of Enfields but once you are accustomed to the torque you will not want to go back to the 150's or 200's.
Old 25th January 2013, 13:19   #7
BHPian

I love this bike!! In a word I'd describe it as 'PERFECT'. Beautiful classic bare minimum functional design, single cyl, enough power, and completely uncomplicated! This would be riot to drive I think. Wish I would get one in dark grey with red pinstriping! Would go nuts!!

I just hope it sounds good too. Most single cyl bikes except our RE sound really bad.

P.S. - Though I'm madly in love with my TBTS and very passionate about riding it, my insides are shouting that i may very easily sell my TBTS if I get a chance to buy this bike.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 25th January 2013 at 13:23.
Old 25th January 2013, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Undrpowered and overpriced old school bike. I would rather buy a Bullet. At least its a true classic and has the thump and feel no Jap bike can replicate.

For everything else, I would rather buy a KTM 390 Adventure (hope Bajaj is reading this).
Old 27th January 2013, 09:20   #9
BANNED

Re: So, what do Bulleteers think of this retro single - Yamaha SR400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Undrpowered and overpriced old school bike. I would rather buy a Bullet. At least its a true classic and has the thump and feel no Jap bike can replicate.

For everything else, I would rather buy a KTM 390 Adventure (hope Bajaj is reading this).
Underpowered?? as compared to a bullet! thats some news.
Even bullet dnst have that old school thump now, its more like Phuss phuss.
Been riding a bull ever since i was riding anything at all,(1980 350 std)
Japs cant replicate a lot of things, i guess replication is not on there agenda, Bullet might get a lot of old school feel to it, but grinding brakes, problematic chain & sproket , born to leak attitude and overheating at will are just some of the things you would never find with japs.

RE has very recently adopted the stance of selling there bikes as classic bikes, they know they would not survive otherwise.

Simplistic looks and work horse stance for this bike, i am loving it already.
Old 27th January 2013, 19:23   #10
BHPian

Wow ! Quite a few positive reactions.

And what do you think about this video on the SR400 ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 28th January 2013, 12:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Underpowered?? as compared to a bullet! thats some news.
Yes, absolutely.

In comparison to other alternatives available to us today in India - Bulleteers and non-Bulleteers alike, though the OP only mentioned Bulleteers specifically.

To underpowered, please add "overweight" too, at 190+ kilos.

If at all I were in the market for an old school standard that looks like a classic, I would go for the Bullet rather than a plastic Jap.

When you are comparing such bikes, 27 bhp (of the Classic 500) versus 30 bhp (of this Yam) is not really much of a talking point is it?

And both are overpriced. When you see what are the alternatives available.

If not for the "classic" touch and feel, why would I spend over 3 lacs on a 30 bhp bike with 1970s technology weighing in at close to 200 kilos, when I can get 2013 technology machines that handle, move, stop, and go better, weigh more than 50 kilos less, and have upwards of 40 bhp on tap?
Old 28th January 2013, 12:37   #12
BHPian

The SR400 and SR500 are EXTREMELY popular bikes in parts of Asia, Australasia and even North America with legions of diehard fans. They're known to be simple, fun bikes with lots of potential for customization - they've been turned into choppers, bobbers, cafe racers, trackers (street, flat, desert), and most other styles in-between with apparent ease by enthusiastic owners. I haven't ridden one yet but have seen them all over the place and they do look like honest, straightforward bikes that were designed 3-odd decades ago as an homage to the old British singles, but with Japanese attention to detail. Don't think I can really compare them to our RE Bullets. In the US (and other places too) I've seen these being snapped up by eager buyers whenever an old one comes up for sale (ebay, craigslist, etc.) There are magazines, web sites, forums, clubs, etc. dedicated to the SR all over the world. Really cool to see that they're being offered again, hopefully with the growing interest in bikes like the newly launched Honda CB1100, Triumph Bonneville series, Moto Guzzi V7, etc. Yamaha will see it fit to continue producing the SR, perhaps even bring out a revamped version of the old XS???
Old 28th January 2013, 16:10   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Yes, absolutely.

In comparison to other alternatives available to us today in India - Bulleteers and non-Bulleteers alike, though the OP only mentioned Bulleteers specifically.

To underpowered, please add "overweight" too, at 190+ kilos.

If at all I were in the market for an old school standard that looks like a classic, I would go for the Bullet rather than a plastic Jap.

When you are comparing such bikes, 27 bhp (of the Classic 500) versus 30 bhp (of this Yam) is not really much of a talking point is it?

And both are overpriced. When you see what are the alternatives available.

If not for the "classic" touch and feel, why would I spend over 3 lacs on a 30 bhp bike with 1970s technology weighing in at close to 200 kilos, when I can get 2013 technology machines that handle, move, stop, and go better, weigh more than 50 kilos less, and have upwards of 40 bhp on tap?
Hhmmm you are making sense. In 3 lc brakt there are some more bikes to b made available in 2013.
But i still would prefer this simple machine to bullet. May it wont make a wise decision, who cares anyway.
Old 28th January 2013, 16:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Hhmmm you are making sense. In 3 lc brakt there are some more bikes to b made available in 2013.
But i still would prefer this simple machine to bullet. May it wont make a wise decision, who cares anyway.
Don't get me wrong bro. The SR's were fantastic bikes. For their time.

If you gave me the same choice say even 5 years ago, I would take it.

But the game has moved on these past couple of years.

The Bullet at least still "looks" cool. The SR is too "Jap" for my taste honestly.

I would instead pick up a clean used CB500 from the 70s and re-furbish it.

48 bhp. 102 mph. Way better looking. And well possible in 3 Lacs if you have the contacts and knowhow.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 18:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Iqbal Sirji,
Can you elaborate more on "No one can beat a Bullet".
If you look at it the Bullet is an old school that got stuck in its age with no technological advancements. There only true innovative product is their TB 500 and if you look at it closely you might be surprised with amount of Plastics that has been used to spruce it up.
Till the late 1970's Jap bikes were metal only(RD 350/400) before they moved into plasticky world to give their consumers a better efficient bike which would be cheaper to maintain as well. (ex: Check out the cost of Yamaha FZ Colored Parts and you will know what am referring to).

Every bike has its own charm and any biker at heart will not attempt to pull down another bike.

PS: Am not writing this to spawn the traditional conflict of Bullet Vs Jap Bikes. Just making an attempt to draw parity. Apologies if this hurt you cause there was no intentions from my end to do likewise.
ku69rd is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks