Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2006, 16:46   #1
BHPian

Imported bike production year

Hey guys,

Is there anyway of determining what year an importted bike was manufactured through the chassis number? or any other method?

Recently, while hunting for a SBK i received 2 conflicting dates of manufacture of the vehicle from 2 different sources. Since, year of make for second hand SBK's is an important component in its pricing; is there anyway it can be officially determined so that no one gets taken for a ride and the fair value of the vehicle can be determined.

In my case I was fortunate the 2 parties contacted me independantly so I was able to spot the guy was trying to fool buyers. Do note that the difference in quoted price was about 1 lakh because one claimed the bike was 4 years younger.
Old 14th June 2006, 16:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

well one option is the vin number that is unique for each bike.
what i often did to figure out the year of manafacture is look up www.bikepics.com, has snaps of each bike yearwise. there are some crap posts here and there but i'm sure you can figure it out. sometime the tiniest differences can be figured by looking at those snaps.

manson.
Old 14th June 2006, 16:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there anyway of determining what year an importted bike was manufactured through the chassis number? or any other method?
Yes, you can find out a bikes age from its chassis number. Most manufacturers official websites allow you to do this. Thats what I did before buying my bike.

Or, if its a popular model, you can get it off one of their forums.

Also, usually there are clues to different models, as unlike India, there were alwyas changes in model years abroad. Some small (colours, graphics,), some large (fairings, suspension, brakes).

Its essential to study the model history of a bike you are planning on looking at.
Old 14th June 2006, 17:02   #4
BHPian

Thanks Manson.

I did check out Bike Pics before checking out this vehicle. But, as in most cases, the vehicle had been tampered with - new fairings, seat, tail light etc etc. so it was a little difficult to reach any conclusion.
Old 14th June 2006, 17:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Which bike are you or your friend looking at? And what year is it supposed to be as per the seller?
Old 14th June 2006, 17:28   #6
BHPian

I dont want to make that public. Ill PM you.
Old 14th June 2006, 17:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

We're not trying to steal your sale here...but if you need help, you'll have to tell us what bike it is? Keep the other details off the board.
Old 14th June 2006, 17:32   #8
BHPian

CBR 400 RR.
I have already rejected the offer btw.
Old 14th June 2006, 18:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikantans04
I did check out Bike Pics before checking out this vehicle. But, as in most cases, the vehicle had been tampered with - new fairings, seat, tail light etc etc. so it was a little difficult to reach any conclusion.
i would try and stay away from a bike with too many changes, unless its offered at a mouth watering price.
btw, did the yellow 400 have a karizma's tailight. I did vaguely see an inline four revving from far away one, yellow colour bike et all, but rtech told me it was an old hurricane.

manson.
Old 14th June 2006, 18:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

I think he was refering to the bikes on bikepics.com having to many changes.

And yes, that yellow one IS a hurricane 600 See it quite often around here.
Old 16th June 2006, 15:10   #11

One way is to check the year stamp on things like brake lines, headlights, indicators, rims, etc.

The oldest date would be closest to the YOM of the bike.

Other options are as mentioned before VIN and chassis verification though it might be difficult.
Old 17th June 2006, 10:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Rtech]Yes, you can find out a bikes age from its chassis number. /quote]

Vehicle Identification Number [VIN] is used extensively abroad .. I'd second this point abt trying to use the chassis number and trying on the forums for that bike.
Another point may be to use the year of manufacture as seen on the tyres, to compare with other details given by the seller. Of course, this will work only if it had original tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks