Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:32   #1
BHPian

KTM to build Husqvarna at Chakan

Link to Source

Mods please move this to a relevant thread, if exists. Didn't come across one.

Quote:
Austrian sports motorcycle maker KTM Sportmotorcycles AG today said it plans to manufacture Husqvarna bikes at partner Bajaj Auto’s (BAL) Chakan facility in the next two years. Stefan Pierer, chief executive officer, KTM Sportmotorcycles AG said, “Our current focus is KTM bikes, but in the next two years you will see the Husqvarna bikes coming from the Chakan plant.” Pierer said that he is looking to extend KTM’s current ties with Bajaj to Husqvarna. They will also be looking at locally manufacturing Huskys, starting with a shared platform based on the KTM Duke series.

Sweden-based Husqvarna is one of the oldest motorcycle brands in the world and it brought out its first motorcycle in 1903, as a subsidiary of the Husqvarna armament firm. Today, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Austrian sportsbike manufacturers KTM, which acquired it earlier this year from BMW.
The picture of the Nuda 900R is used for illustrative purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM to build Husqvarna at Chakan-husqvarnanuda900rreceivesthegooddesignaward53995_1.jpg  

dreamseller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:50   #2
gemi_kk

re: KTM to build Husqvarna at Chakan

KTM getting its sister brands to India ? Nothing new.

Hmm.. I see it as follows.
Every year, atleast once, i ponder on what would be the future of Bajaj.

- The initial Pulsar grabbed some volumes. Next what? They cant grab Hero's share.
This was my thought at that point of time.

- After ~2 years, The upgraded models came. They were able to sizzle customers with new features. They were successful in grabbing more market share.
But what was i thinking at that time? They definitely cant grab anything more than this.

- After ~2 more years, the 200 and 220 came out. they really sizzled the market for sure. These bikes were successful in converting some regular bikers to premium bikers at minimal cost.
I used to think that, Bajaj cant grab any more. Market is completly Exhausted. This will be the end. And this didnt end there....

- The Avenger was continiously updated with their latest engines. The 180, and then the 200, and then the 220 Oil cooled. Even though it was a market dud, it was never ignored.

- The discover was launched with a dozen of options. Even if a regular commuter visits Bajaj showroom with an intention of upgrading in near future, He would definitely find the best match meeting his requiremets in Bajaj showroom. 100CC, 110CC, 125CC, 150CC. WIth or without power start. With or without Alloys. and the icing on cake is, all of them were readily available off the shelf. I am pretty sure that no other manufacturer will be capable of maintaining such a diversified portfolio.
I was thinking, Bajaj has no Upward movement now. They are entering Hero's (or 100 CC) area. they will be beaten to death here.. but i was proven wrong again. Discover was able to beat Hero's splendor sales in some months. Boy!!

Later, KTM was bought by bajaj, only 49% i think.
Started exclusive outlets for KTM. Duke 200 & 399 launches.
Now, upgrading pulsars to Sports bikes standards.
They launched Pulsars with new(KTM) new engines.
And now, they are getting another brand of KTM to india.

I must agree that my opinion about Bajaj has changed completly in a decade. I was proven wrong. Not once, but everytime.

I really appreciate the way the company moved in the past decade. They work well on their products. They do their homework and execute it properly. (Agreed that some products were not up to the mark but bajas was successful in making money out of everything.)

Comming to my first line. "KTM getting its sister brands to India?"
Its Not KTM, its pure Bajaj's Planning, management and a perfect execution.

Bajaj was Just a scooter making company. They never knew the dynamics of a bike, like Yamaha knew. They never had any expertise on engines like Honda has. They launched their first home made bike in 2002 (Pulsar) And after ~11 years. They are still launching bikes which can sizzle customers.

Wish you all the best. Bajaj.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 22nd November 2013 at 14:55. Reason: Adding value
  (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: KTM to build Husqvarna at Chakan

Huskies are amazing bikes, I rode a Nuda 900R and was seriously thinking of picking it up, unfortunately they didn't have ABS on the bike. Cant wait to see if they launch some models in India.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: KTM to build Husqvarna at Chakan

Austrian motorcycle manufacturer, KTM Sportmotorcycle AG is set to manufacture and launch Husqvarna bikes in India in two years.

Link to News Article

KTM to build Husqvarna at Chakan-husqvarnalogo.jpg
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 19:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Bajaj,always have a deep respect to those guys.They sure know how to hit the sweet spot.I had a 220 for a good 3 long trouble free years,unfortunately had to sell it after marriage owing to pillion comfort.Crossing my fingers for the 690 to come.
Old 25th November 2013, 19:48   #6
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
KTM getting its sister brands to India ? Nothing new.

Hmm.. I see it as follows.
Every year, atleast once, i ponder on what would be the future of Bajaj.

- The initial Pulsar grabbed some volumes. Next what? They cant grab Hero's share.
This was my thought at that point of time.

- After ~2 years, The upgraded models came. They were able to sizzle customers with new features. They were successful in grabbing more market share.
But what was i thinking at that time? They definitely cant grab anything more than this.

- After ~2 more years, the 200 and 220 came out. they really sizzled the market for sure. These bikes were successful in converting some regular bikers to premium bikers at minimal cost.
I used to think that, Bajaj cant grab any more. Market is completly Exhausted. This will be the end. And this didnt end there....

- The Avenger was continiously updated with their latest engines. The 180, and then the 200, and then the 220 Oil cooled. Even though it was a market dud, it was never ignored.

- The discover was launched with a dozen of options. Even if a regular commuter visits Bajaj showroom with an intention of upgrading in near future, He would definitely find the best match meeting his requiremets in Bajaj showroom. 100CC, 110CC, 125CC, 150CC. WIth or without power start. With or without Alloys. and the icing on cake is, all of them were readily available off the shelf. I am pretty sure that no other manufacturer will be capable of maintaining such a diversified portfolio.
I was thinking, Bajaj has no Upward movement now. They are entering Hero's (or 100 CC) area. they will be beaten to death here.. but i was proven wrong again. Discover was able to beat Hero's splendor sales in some months. Boy!!

Later, KTM was bought by bajaj, only 49% i think.
Started exclusive outlets for KTM. Duke 200 & 399 launches.
Now, upgrading pulsars to Sports bikes standards.
They launched Pulsars with new(KTM) new engines.
And now, they are getting another brand of KTM to india.

I must agree that my opinion about Bajaj has changed completly in a decade. I was proven wrong. Not once, but everytime.

I really appreciate the way the company moved in the past decade. They work well on their products. They do their homework and execute it properly. (Agreed that some products were not up to the mark but bajas was successful in making money out of everything.)

Comming to my first line. "KTM getting its sister brands to India?"
Its Not KTM, its pure Bajaj's Planning, management and a perfect execution.

Bajaj was Just a scooter making company. They never knew the dynamics of a bike, like Yamaha knew. They never had any expertise on engines like Honda has. They launched their first home made bike in 2002 (Pulsar) And after ~11 years. They are still launching bikes which can sizzle customers.

Wish you all the best. Bajaj.
So true. All respect to Bajaj and their commitment.

You forgot Kawasaki though. The Ninja 250R, Ninja 650 always have had a following. Now more so with the Ninja ZX14R and the super awesome Ninja ZX10R. Way to go Bajaj !!
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 11:38   #7
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
So true. All respect to Bajaj and their commitment.

You forgot Kawasaki though. The Ninja 250R, Ninja 650 always have had a following. Now more so with the Ninja ZX14R and the super awesome Ninja ZX10R. Way to go Bajaj !!
Thanks for reminding me of Kawasaki.

I didn't add it intentionally. Because of the following reasons.
- Kawasaki havent helped bajaj in gaining any significant market share.
- Bajaj in turn helped kawasaki by assembling and selling their CKD/PKD products.
- Bajaj hardly has any control over Kawasaki operations/decisions. They just do what Kawasaki says. Bajaj takes some margin for the work done. Its more like a labor job where Bajaj does what their counter part says.

As bajaj has
- No Control
- No ownership
- No decision making power.
i thought, its wise not to mention about Kawasaki in that post.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 26th November 2013 at 11:41. Reason: Adding content.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks