Team-BHP - Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/148326-harley-davidson-iron-883-beauty-beast-2.html)

Congratulations AC genius on getting the Ironman 883. Owning a Harley has been a dream and I am very close to living my dream. Your write up makes me feel like running to the Harley showroom and getting a amber whisky with screaming eagles right now. Too bad the wallet does not permit me to do so right away!
Enjoy your ride!
Regards,
Ashok

Hello gentlemen, my alter ego was travelling so please excluse my inactivity over the last couple of days. I do appreciate your thoughts and now I am seriously considering the back rest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubz (Post 3379488)
This is one thing I am keen to try on!

DK sir - The funny look is because there are no end cans. The one's with end-cans do look a stunner.

Regarding note - Don't think you will be surprised to know it is indeed subdued compared to the earlier models with SE.

Fuelpak - Harley folks don't speak too high about. They talk more about Supertuner (may be marketing bias)

there is something called XiED by DK Customs (US) which changes the closed loop fuel mixture on your Iron engine from the stock 14.6:1 to 13.8:1 making it run richer. (The caveat to this - you may end up losing engine warranty though) :) (Harley bond!)

My personal opinion - if Warranty is high on anyone's agenda - Stick to what comes out of Harley stealers!

With respect to the exhaust sound, let me share my thought process. I did some field research (Spending several days online and 1 full day in the HD workshop during service!). By way of disclaimer, I was only considering a slip-on at this stage considering the budget at hand. The 2 obvious choices were Screamin Eagles and Vance and Hines. My comparison is as follows -

a. Looks - The 2014 Vance and Hines slash cuts were aesthetically the obvious choice and scored over the 2014 Screamin Eagles for me. Between the 2013 vs 2014 model on the SEs, I personally found them on similar league in fit and finish.

b. Cost - Both the 2014 models from these manufacturers were comparable on the cost front. I had a quote from a local importer on the V&H which was coming to some 40K+. Now in US there is a substantial difference so if you are importing yourself it may change the equation substantially for you.

c. Sound - This is the real subjective part of the bargain and more people you speak to the more divergent views you will get. One consistent feedback was that the SEs were better suited to the 883 motor than the V&H ones. At idle both the 2013 and 2014 SEs are nearly the same loud and not materially different from stock. If I recall correctly, the figure stands at about 87 Db. V&H are much louder across the spectrum.

I did compare the sound between the 2013 and 2014 Screamin Eagle models at the workshop. On comparison they definetly sound distinct with the bass notes placed differently across the RPMs. I have to confess the the 2013 model sounds more peaky at lower RPMs. I understand you can't fit the older models to the 2014 Iron as the fittings have changed so I did not have an option here unless somebody confirms otherwise.

d. Warranty - To me this was the game changer. I understand there have been some legal proceeedings post which Harley officially stopped selling V&Hs. Any modifications outside of the Harley ecosystem leads to warranty being void. I personally thought it was too soon and with limited gain to go beyong.

Happy to hear your thoughts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3382182)
Hello gentlemen, my alter ego was travelling so please excluse my inactivity over the last couple of days. I do appreciate your thoughts and now I am seriously considering the back rest.

With respect to the exhaust sound, let me share my thought process. I did some field research (Spending several days online and 1 full day in the HD workshop during service!). By way of disclaimer, I was only considering a slip-on at this stage considering the budget at hand. The 2 obvious choices were Screamin Eagles and Vance and Hines. My comparison is as follows -

a. Looks - The 2014 Vance and Hines slash cuts were aesthetically the obvious choice and scored over the 2014 Screamin Eagles for me. Between the 2013 vs 2014 model on the SEs, I personally found them on similar league in fit and finish.

b. Cost - Both the 2014 models from these manufacturers were comparable on the cost front. I had a quote from a local importer on the V&H which was coming to some 40K+. Now in US there is a substantial difference so if you are importing yourself it may change the equation substantially for you.

c. Sound - This is the real subjective part of the bargain and more people you speak to the more divergent views you will get. One consistent feedback was that the SEs were better suited to the 883 motor than the V&H ones. At idle both the 2013 and 2014 SEs are nearly the same loud and not materially different from stock. If I recall correctly, the figure stands at about 87 Db. V&H are much louder across the spectrum.

I did compare the sound between the 2013 and 2014 Screamin Eagle models at the workshop. On comparison they definetly sound distinct with the bass notes placed differently across the RPMs. I have to confess the the 2013 model sounds more peaky at lower RPMs. I understand you can't fit the older models to the 2014 Iron as the fittings have changed so I did not have an option here unless somebody confirms otherwise.

d. Warranty - To me this was the game changer. I understand there have been some legal proceeedings post which Harley officially stopped selling V&Hs. Any modifications outside of the Harley ecosystem leads to warranty being void. I personally thought it was too soon and with limited gain to go beyong.

Happy to hear your thoughts...

Good analysis!

Warranty is the game changer here. Having said that, one of my HD buddies got V&H installed on his 2014 Iron at the HD showroom/service. They even installed a SE stage 1 air cleaner. Little did they advice him on changing AFR or about fuel enrichment nor about warranty. The poor bloke still thinks he is covered under warranty. Young guy, tried telling him, but he didn't seem to quite get it.

While I am almost over the top to go for a FFE upgrade, this warranty thing is pulling me back.

so my only option is to go with SE or keep quiet till I am out of warranty. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashphil (Post 3380362)
Congratulations AC genius on getting the Ironman 883. Owning a Harley has been a dream and I am very close to living my dream. Your write up makes me feel like running to the Harley showroom and getting a amber whisky with screaming eagles right now. Too bad the wallet does not permit me to do so right away!
Enjoy your ride!
Regards,
Ashok

Thank you Ashok and glad you liked my write-up. I can connect with your situation very well my friend as I had been standing on that diving board for the longest time. The indecisions ranged from financial to what image I wanted to carry! Don’t wait on your dream for life is too short.

I have to confess that the final push came from my better half. Had it not been for my wife’s support to this Biker Ego, I would still be day dreaming instead of living my dream.

Folks, here I am signing in again. Been a while and a lovely 721 KM on the meter. Most of this in the last couple of weeks has been short rides around the city and around. Major itch for a longish ride and I am tempted to pick the next one with Capital Chapter to Agra or Nainital.

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-img_20140314_074523.jpg

The bike continues to be charm. The only continued hassle has been the extra attention when you park around town. The other day I had parked at Cyber Hub in Gurgaon and boy did it get some eyes and the some rather unwarranted hands! I actually had to pay a guard to cover my ride...another one for the Harley tax lol: Have any of you faced this challenge?

Still looking for the right protective jacket. Didn't like any available at Harley showroom in my size. Any suggestions on good all weather jackets welcome.

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-img_20140314_074545.jpg
Beast posing in the basement.

Will have a video with exhaust sound loaded soon. Happy riding :)

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-hog.jpg

Recently I had some queries regarding the HOG membership and benefits. Thought of sharing some details covering the Capital Chapter. Check with your local chapter for more details.

For the uninitiated - You become an international HOG member automatically when you pick any new ride from the HD stable. Membership is linked to the vehicle identification number(VIN). Additionally, you need to prescribe to a local chapter for their events, invitations, goodies and rides.

I am sharing some details for the Capital Chapter. I know Himalayan and Capital are under the same ownership but there maybe some variations.

1. The Annual Fee for the Capital Chapter Membership is Rs.2,250/- ( including 12.36% Service Tax )

2. You need to fill and submit the form to confirm membership and get the card. The membership is effective for 1 year and needs to be renewed.

3. Facebook page and event emails with be for member only. This additionally applies to the patches and flags. The Capital Chapter Membership benefits will also include access to Partner Tie Ups through the membership card.

Beyond the fine print the comraderie is superb and this is a great networking experience:)

Nice to see you enjoying your ride. Plan to come for the Capital HOG ride to Nainital on the 18th to the 20th of April. Six of us from the Mutineers Motorcycling Club, Meerut will be joining in on our HOGs. Yes, you can become a Capital Chapter Member but we can join their ride anyways and we are getting regular invites and details from them. We have formed our own HOG group in Meerut with 12 members till date.

Also your query regarding parking challenge, Yes, that's a obvious Harley tax you have to pay. But most of the places we venture to are by now acclimatised to our presence and give us special preference anyways like my local club runs for tennis, or Khatauli restaurants, or some of the movie halls I go to. But parking in the local markets is a real pain.

Regarding the custom exhausts, you can go through my ownership thread. I have fitted SE's on my bike myself and also fitted a V&H straight shots on a friends Fat Bob at my residence. For the 883 look no further than the SE's.

Here's a current look at my 883XL after removing the pillion (for the time being). Hope you don't mind the photo -
Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-harley-superlow-pillion-removed_1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3395084)
Nice to see you enjoying your ride. Plan to come for the Capital HOG ride to Nainital on the 18th to the 20th of April. Six of us from the Mutineers Motorcycling Club, Meerut will be joining in on our HOGs. Yes, you can become a Capital Chapter Member but we can join their ride

Thanks Dkaile for your inputs. You are right that presently the Capital Chapter is open for all HD owners but I spoke to their customer care and they confirmed that this will become restricted shortly to signed(read paid up) members only. I think the final timeline is sometime in May if I recall correctly.

You are welcome to post your picture here:). Sportsters look hot in solo configuration. I have been an avid follower of your thread and aware of your upgrades. I have done the 2014 SE upgrade myself as shared in my previous posts. Still missing ends caps which I am tempted to keep as such as I kind of like the minimalistic side profile.

I am really tempted by the Nainital ride so let see hopefully I'll catch you there. Happy riding!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3394987)

1. The Annual Fee for the Capital Chapter Membership is Rs.2,250/- ( including 12.36% Service Tax )

Isn't this after the first year of membership that is included at purchase of the new bike?

Shubz this is exactly what I thought untill the invite email from the Capital guys. Seems you are entitled to the International HOG membership and for which you would have received the card, booklet, patch and pin. From what I hear individual chapters can have their limited paid membership. Per a FAQ sheet the use of this fund will be for -

1. Chapter fund can be used to fund the chapter patch and rocker along with the HOG card for the members

2. To execute the annual chapter meet offsite

3. To fund primary officer travel to annual HOT training

4. For any initiative that all primary officers and sponsoring dealer collectively agree will benefit the dealership

I believe this is still in the roll out process. You may want to speak to your dealer if there are similar plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius
The bike continues to be charm. The only continued hassle has been the extra attention when you park around town. The other day I had parked at Cyber Hub in Gurgaon and boy did it get some eyes and the some rather unwarranted hands! I actually had to pay a guard to cover my ride...another one for the Harley tax lol: Have any of you faced this challenge?

Still looking for the right protective jacket. Didn't like any available at Harley showroom in my size. Any suggestions on good all weather jackets welcome.

Congrats on the Bike man... The Iron in this shade looks superb and i think better than the matte black... Full onl Attention Grabber!!

Yeah these are some of the hassles you gotto live with.. Everywhere you go kids want to touch and feel the bike, have to be extra careful while parking etc... Though for me the most irritating thing is the constant
"Head light is on" comments and weird signals people make to this effect while riding.. Now it has become so painful, dont even bother to reply anymore.. Once an Auto driver actually turned around and followed me till the traffic signal to tell me this.. Dint know if i wanted to laugh or cry :D

There are a host of Harley Jackets available man.. Dont even look beyond HD.. The choice is endless and most of it is absoluetly kikkass.. I got a Nylon Flames jacket and has been serving me well for the Bangalore weather.. Have attached the ebay link below which has all the Nylon Harley jackets available..These are good enough even for summers though might not be sufficient for the Chandigarh winter.. Check and get one that you like..I think most of this stuff can be shipped to India

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...Material=Nylon

Cheers!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3395707)
Shubz this is exactly what I thought untill the invite email from the Capital guys. Seems you are entitled to the International HOG membership and for which you would have received the card, booklet, patch and pin. From what I hear individual chapters can have their limited paid membership. Per a FAQ sheet the use of this fund will be for -

1. Chapter fund can be used to fund the chapter patch and rocker along with the HOG card for the members

2. To execute the annual chapter meet offsite

3. To fund primary officer travel to annual HOT training

4. For any initiative that all primary officers and sponsoring dealer collectively agree will benefit the dealership

I believe this is still in the roll out process. You may want to speak to your dealer if there are similar plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rashreddy (Post 3395732)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius

Congrats on the Bike man... The Iron in this shade looks superb and i think better than the matte black... Full onl Attention Grabber!!

Yeah these are some of the hassles you gotto live with.. Everywhere you go kids want to touch and feel the bike, have to be extra careful while parking etc... Though for me the most irritating thing is the constant
"Head light is on" comments and weird signals people make to this effect while riding.. Now it has become so painful, dont even bother to reply anymore.. Once an Auto driver actually turned around and followed me till the traffic signal to tell me this.. Dint know if i wanted to laugh or cry :D

There are a host of Harley Jackets available man.. Dont even look beyond HD.. The choice is endless and most of it is absoluetly kikkass.. I got a Nylon Flames jacket and has been serving me well for the Bangalore weather.. Have attached the ebay link below which has all the Nylon Harley jackets available..These are good enough even for summers though might not be sufficient for the Chandigarh winter.. Check and get one that you like..I think most of this stuff can be shipped to India

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...Material=Nylon

Cheers!!

Extra attention, Yes it does draw extra attention everywhere. One thing I avoid - park at malls, or random parking lots and get away from the bike.
Used to the weird sign language indicating light is on -- I either ignore or just nod in agreement.
I took it to office once and parked in an obscure corner - but when I returned sometime in between work, I was horrified to see the bike out of the slot and parked haphazardly, gear levers changed, switches tampered with. Thanked my stars that it wasn't dropped. I asked the security guy - who said loads of folks were posing against it, sitting on it etc. I despise those supposedly educated folks who don't know about the consequences to themselves and to the ~260 kilo vehicle if the vehicle tips over, over them. That was the first and last time I ever took it to office.

Regarding jackets: My strong recommendations:

1) Go for mesh or textile jacket from HD (it adds character) - some may disapprove of this coming from me. Leather is the best BUT - its heavy and it could dehydrate you in peak summer.
2) go for thermal liner + rain liner which can be used according to the weather conditions.
3) If they don't have it, request them to get it for you or ask for tentative dates of fresh stock arrival. Meanwhile - use a moderately priced jacket for the time being.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubz (Post 3395894)
[list][*] I got the Chapter Patch at the time of delivery

Shubz I don't know if you've been working out or its a natural consequence of wrestling with a 260 kg bike, but you seem to have put on some muscle. Good show bro! :thumbs up

Now a couple of sleeve tattoos ..... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3395998)
Shubz I don't know if you've been working out or its a natural consequence of wrestling with a 260 kg bike, but you seem to have put on some muscle. Good show bro! :thumbs up

Now a couple of sleeve tattoos ..... :D

Haha! Doc - the wrestling with the 260 kilo mass has only been since end of Dec till now and I don't think I could've put on mass in this time.

I have been hitting the gym from the time I put down the advance for my Amber Whiskey! If the results are seen, I am glad. clap:

I am sure you would know better as you have seen me (in pics) from the Duke days :)

Tattoos - They scare the s*** outta me!

Man I am absolutely going to hit the gym now. Promise!

Just hearing the above would make my kids roll on the floor, clutching their sides. So often (I think almost daily) do they hear me saying that! LOL