Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 12:14   #1
BHPian

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true

Since the time I was 20 yrs I have always craved for a bike which was much powerful than the existing bikes in the indian market made by indian companies for the general public [talking about the general 100cc - 250cc] bikes. During my 20ies I owned a kinetic honda then a RX-100, then the first generation CBZ which helped me get through my teenage years.

Post this when I was 25 yrs, I moved to 4 wheelers while sacrificing my 2 wheeler passion for the greater cause of my safety while riding a bike, pollution and various other reasons which normal parents think. I have been using my dad’s Activa for any weekend work in general but apart from that I was totally away from 2 wheelers.

I am currently 32 yrs and there hasn’t been a time in my life where I have told myself and to my family when I see a sports bike, tourer bike or a crusier ‘I wish I had a bike in my life’. From last October, I have been actively looking for a bike for myself.

First came Duke 200 - Thought it looked awesome with amazing specs at a throwaway price but then I wanted a bike much bigger in CC so dropped this from my list.

Ninja 650 - When it got launched, I loved the bike and read great reviews about it though it never had the sports look and was more a tourer. However when a close friend of mine bought this and I saw the bike in flesh, I really did not like the empty space between the front fairing and felt it looked like a Fazer when seated on it.

Then came Duke 390 during Sep - Oct last year - Much better version of Duke 200 with more power and some calling it ‘psycho’ in terms of it pickup and engine power. A thought crossed my mind to take up this bike as a daily commute one and then get a bigger weekend getaway bike but then I was shown the reality by my wife that riding 60 kms to and fro on a bike to is a big NO NO due to safety, chaotic and crazy Hyderabad traffic.

Oct last year I finally decided to check out HD though I always felt I was never a person for cruisers and HD kind of bikes and I even have a cousin of mine who is completely into HD and its brotherhood. I went to the HD showroom and checked out Superlow - Liked its looked and chrome but GC was a major issue and as I checked out other models I realised GC is an issue in their entire stable of HD in general. I decided to test drive Iron 883 which my cousin already owns.

Iron 883 - Test drive was a complete circle of KBR park and the bike was loaded with screaming eagles and other accessories. The bike felt good to ride with the good riding posture and torque but the number of vibrations on the bike just turned me off.

48 - Though I did not test drive this bike, I loved its muscular looks and fat tires of Michelin but coming back to practicality where a 7.5 ltr tank capacity was just not good [peanut tank].

Street Bob - Loved this bike, the engine and its looks and was offered a 2012 Dec bike which was practically new for a 1lac cheaper which I was tempted to jump on. But somehow I held back and decided to have a look at Triumph when it launches during the year.

Triumph - Decemeber came and during this time period I had done some internet search and forum reading on Triumph Street and Speed triple. I felt and mentally made my mind up that I would pick either of these depending on the price it gets launched. D-day and Triumph announced its price and I made my mind up to pick Street triple and was ready to book it even without doing a test drive. Somehow sanity prevailed and I decided to wait for test drive and then book for the same. During Jan 2014, 2nd week I got a call from Triumph showroom that Street triple along with Bonneville is available for test drive. That saturday I immediately rushed to the showroom and took a test drive of Street while I saw mobike008 there for a test drive of Bonneville. I never considered Bonneville as its looks reminded me of Bullet.

Street Triple - Amazing street bike with its aggressive looks had me fallen in love with it. I even decided I would take the white color as the green reminded me of Ninja and Black of a Fazer. I faced multiple initial kick off problems with me unable to take the bike off in first gear. After some extra acceleration I managed to get it moving and boy o boy what power. It literally pulled me back multiple times when I accelerated and found the bike to be very powerful but I had tough time taking a u-turn and towards the end of the test drive I found my palms sore and paining [in matter of 5-10 mins]. I kept saying to myself that this is cause of the huge gap I have had in riding a bike and went away. Couple of weeks later I again take a test drive of the bike and this time wearing riding gear including gloves to see if this solved my problem. Unfortunately post this I still had my palms sore and at multiple instances of the test drive I felt I just want to end this ride and reach the showroom. Post this it was pretty clear that the bike had very aggressive stance which was not at all comfortable for me and thus I made my mind to part ways with this beauty.

Bonneville - During my second test drive of Street triple, I managed to take a test drive of Bonneville too. Found the bike to be extremely comfortable and agile with plenty of power at the twist of your palm. While initially I did not like how it resembled a bullet I still wanted to give it a second test drive but this time I got my wife along to have it with me so that I could get her opinion on it too. The second time the test drive bike was a white and blue combination Bonneville which I instantly feel in love. The color combination somehow made the bike look beautiful and very elegant and my wife too instantly concurred with my opinion and gave me her go ahead. The next few days I paid the booking amount of 50k for a blue and white color Bonneville and the showroom just had one piece left. What was left to do now was to wait till April first week [new financial year] and then approach Central Bank of India for taking loan and doing all the paper work.

I have been reading Mobike008 two threads on Bonneville vs Iron 883 and his ownership thread regularly and based on that I took the bike on my wife name which helped me save around 31k while I decided to take the bike insurance from the showroom itself. During March last week I was informed by the showroom that there might be a hike in bike price and it would be beneficial for me to pick the bike ASAP. This false information got me to take the bike before April itself as I am yet to see any price hike information.

D-day - 2nd April 2014: I picked the bike with my son wife and mom as planned as my son has been one of the persons who has been most excited. All formalities were finished and I was given the bike with T\C and would receive T\R on 7th April. During the delivery, I happened to see the test drive Bonneville with arrow exhausts + its mufflers removed [think this is what you call it]. The exhaust sounded loud for sure but it was in cellar so would need to check it once on the road. Coming back to my bike, I picked a helmet for myself from there since I did not have one and had my kid sit on the back while holding me with the promise of going to a helmet shop right now and buying him one too.

I have managed to take the bike to my office in Hi-tec city on Friday which is 60kms to and fro, the engine does get hot in the insane stop and go traffic of ours and while it is still manageable I believe I would truly enjoy this bike on open roads.

Positives of this bike:

- Simple yet elegant looks especially in white and blue color combination.
- Not to heavy on my pocket.
- Amazing stability and very easy to control.
- Agile and has good power whenever you need it.
- Decent GC which takes the bike over most of city speed breakers.
- Suspension is comfortable to go over bumps to a certain extend.
- Adjustable clutch and front brake.
- Retro looks.

Negatives:

- I stay army cantonment area and to reach my home I have 10-12 speed breaking in a spam of 2 kms. Though the bike goes over most of them but there are couple of nasty ones for which I just have to literally stop on it.
- Exhaust is quite muted. Wish it had a little bit more sound but I am sure there are tweaks and workaround which would help out.
- No tachometer on the bike and no fuel gauge (plan to get a tachometer on my

I have completed close to 100kms till now and have been riding the bike between 60-70 km speed till now while I am definitely tempted to speed it up but haven’t really got that chance yet. Maybe once I tag up with other Triumph owners for a weekend ride.

Few pics which I clicked of my bike:
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-bike-ready-delivery-showroom.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-sideview-bike.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-007-tc.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-backview.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-helmet1.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-helmet2.jpg  

Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true-helmet3.jpg  

sanketdesai82 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 12:47   #2
BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the purchase!

The bike looks awesome! What is the OTR price you have paid?
Old 7th April 2014, 12:48   #3
BHPian

Thanks @bulletboy76

Paid approx 6.6 lakh on road since I took the bike on my wife's name so ended up with 9% lifetax.

Last edited by sanketdesai82 : 7th April 2014 at 12:49. Reason: forgot to thank
Old 7th April 2014, 13:34   #4
BHPian

Congratulations! You have got one of the best retro looking bike available in the world.Triumph Bonneville is one that's made for the riders ease of use. A practical bike! Wish you many miles of safe and happy riding on your bonny!
Old 7th April 2014, 13:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Sanket. So finally it has happened-Delivery of your Bonnie !!!

Which part of city you stay in Hyderabad since you mentioned Cantonment? Sainikpuri/Yapral? My bonnie has hit a speed breaker maybe twice till date and that too with a pillion on board and culprit is the speedbreaker which is right outside my apartment

Some pointers and queries :-

1. You can certainly increase the speed and easily breach 100kmph speeds and little more as well. However, keep in mind that trick is to vary the engine rpm and not ride at constant speeds

2. Get yourself a proper riding jacket, gloves, pants and shoes. Iam in the process of acquiring these one after other

3. How much did that helmet cost you? Iam unable to make out the brand name. Please highlight

4. You neednt worry of the bike being on T/C or T/R as long as you have all documents ( Invoice, DC and Registration forms in place)

Look forward to seeing your ride in person this Sunday during the Triumph Ride !!!

P.S: Those pictures dont do justice. Please share some high quality images soon
Old 7th April 2014, 13:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and Welcome to the Club

Hi Sanket.

Welcome to the "Club"

The Bike looks beautiful and hope will give you miles and miles of "uncomplicated fun".

Hope you had a chance to go over the manual and I would say please follwo all the usual "running in process" and machine will respond with relability in the long run.

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
Old 7th April 2014, 14:12   #7
vcx
BHPian

Wow, one more Bonnie , congrats sanketdesai82 and the color does look good.

Very good view on your TD of other bikes.

Wishing happy miles & smiles!

Quick query: For availing lower registration % , would one be able to get the same benefit if he/she sells his current vehicle registered on his name and transfers the registration ?
Old 7th April 2014, 14:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Quick query: For availing lower registration % , would one be able to get the same benefit if he/she sells his current vehicle registered on his name and transfers the registration ?
This benefit is ONLY for "First Time" owners of a vehicle !!!

And, selling and transfer ownership wouldnt avail you this benefit.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sanket, a lovely machine and a great colour too. This is the same colour that i would have gotten for myself. Please do ride safe and as Mobike008 has mentioned, please do get proper riding gear. As far as the muted sound goes, give it some time..it should get a bit louder and even then if you feel its muted then go in for the Arrows exhaust from the dealership. Wishing you happy miles ahead
Old 7th April 2014, 15:01   #10
BHPian

Wow one more Bonneville in Hyd.
Congrats on your purchase Sanket, as mentioned by fellow riders please ensure correct running in procedures.
I must say, Its literally raining Triumphs in Hyderabad, The wait is getting tiring up here in Mumbai.
Congrats once again and ride safe.
Cheers!
Old 7th April 2014, 16:44   #11
vcx
BHPian

Sanketdesai82 how much did zox's dot certified helmet cost? And where did you buy this?
Old 7th April 2014, 17:50   #12
BHPian

Congratulations Sanket on you new ride and here's wishing you miles and miles of quality time with her! Ride safe

Cheers,
Ankit
Old 7th April 2014, 21:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations Sanket and wishing you years of happiness with the bike. The heat from the engine should reduce once it has been properly broken in.
Old 8th April 2014, 12:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sanket. Bike looks beautiful in white. I'm a sucker for white bikes (and cars).
Old 8th April 2014, 13:02   #15
BHPian

Congrats Sanket on a lovely machine. I am sure this will give you loads & loads of fun. A great stress reliever......

Wish you many miles of enjoyable biking with her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks