Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 20:32   #16
BHPian

Re: The Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Congrats on the lovely bike, and great write-up too!

Regarding the muffler grounding out on speedbumps, can you determine where exactly it hits ? The end can is such that it rises up closer to the rear wheel, so that should help the clearance, unless the suspension sags a lot with rider(s) on board.
Old 19th November 2014, 03:56   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on the N650, it is a pretty sweet bike to live with.

The brakes are the biggest downer on the bike. I suggest you upgrade the brake lines to steel braided brake lines (HEL Brake lines are the most preferred) and Brake pads (At least front ones to better aftermarket pads - EBC extreme pro brake pads are a good replacement option). This will give you some peace of mind

I have tried adjusting the pre-load on the rear suspension. Still the end can scrapes over speed breakers with pillion. Without pillion, its only those mammoth 3 stage speed breakers that cause trouble. Perhaps the bike prefers to be ridden without pillion!
Old 19th November 2014, 09:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the 650 and wishing you many happy and safe miles.

As you have rightly mentioned, the brakes on this bike lack feedback and bite. Many 650 owners have upgraded their brake systems satisfactorily by adding steel braided lines, aftermarket rotors, aftermarket brake pads, etc.

The headlight also is inadequate if you're going to be riding past sundown. You can either plonk in a set of bulbs from PIAA, Philips (Xtreme Vision), Ring Ultima or a HID kit from Morimoto.

All the best and hope to meet you on one of the rides or at Auto Service.
Old 24th November 2014, 18:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaspectre View Post
Congratulations on the N650, it is a pretty sweet bike to live with.

The brakes are the biggest downer on the bike.

Perhaps the bike prefers to be ridden without pillion!
Thanks. I have installed EBC extreme pro at Auto Center along with Sliders. Not done much after that but hopefully will have better anchors after they are bedded in.

As far as end can touching, thanks for the input. Will have to take them dead slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congratulations on the 650 and wishing you many happy and safe miles.

As you have rightly mentioned, the brakes on this bike lack feedback and bite.

The headlight also is inadequate.
All the best and hope to meet you on one of the rides or at Auto Service.
Thanks. I try not to travel at night thus the bulbs will remain stock. Have got myself full riding gear so am ready to meet on a Sunday morning ride with you guys.
So far done about 500 kms since I got her but I have a lot to learn before I am competent to exploit her great engine, stability and riding position.

After the service I find that the engine tends to cut off when I pull the clutch when in gear at low speeds (in traffic) her idle speed is 750 when hot. and 1500 when cold. Is this OK or should I adjust the idle/ clutch?

Also added Puig frame sliders and rear spools.

For a little bling, green rim tape
Old 25th November 2014, 08:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
After the service I find that the engine tends to cut off when I pull the clutch when in gear at low speeds (in traffic) her idle speed is 750 when hot. and 1500 when cold. Is this OK or should I adjust the idle/ clutch?
I guess the engine idle speed needs adjustment.

What is the idle speed when the engine is hot?

I also look forward to meeting you and your bike soon. Ride safe.
Old 25th November 2014, 10:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

here is a picture right after service. The Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20141123_114629.jpg
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 11:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here is a picture right after service.
Congrats on your new bike goandude. She looks mint. 3500 is not even infancy for these bomb-proof motors. Use her well and enjoy many thousands of safe kilometers on her.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 20:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats on the lovely bike, and great write-up too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congrats on your new bike goandude. She looks mint. 3500 is not even infancy for these bomb-proof motors.
Thanks guys.

Have you all felt the need of a paddock stand? I mean for cleaning the left lower side of the bike and cleaning and lubing the chain what do you guys use?

Checking out this forum, found n_aditya had worked on raising the side stand with wood and using a car jack to lift the bike for the same purpose http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2391697. But a proper paddock stand would be easy on the back. olx has a guy in selling for 4k and it looks good.

Any inputs?

Last edited by goandude : 27th November 2014 at 20:42.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you all felt the need of a paddock stand? I mean for cleaning the left lower side of the bike and cleaning and lubing the chain what do you guys use?
The car jack method works fine since it's only a few minutes job but nothing like a paddock stand for safety and ease of use.

With a car jack, it's too much of an effort - empty the boot, pull out the spare wheel and then the jack but propping up the bike with a paddock is super convenient.

I used the jack approach temporarily and then sourced a custom fabricated paddock from a friend which made chain maintenance very easy. Sadly, someone stole my paddock stand from my parking lot so I'm now just moving the bike front and back to clean and lube the chain (till the new custom fabricated paddock arrives). Very cumbersome and even more cumbersome to remove the jack from the car for reasons stated above.

4k sounds like a great buy. Go ahead and pick it up.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4k sounds like a great buy. Go ahead and pick it up.
Check this site. Here a great looking one for 3100/-
http://shop.redlineplus.in/7-garage-...d-4-wheel.html
It is available at that price in Pune but it costs 1000/- to ship.
Old 28th November 2014, 14:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check this site. Here a great looking one for 3100/-
http://shop.redlineplus.in/7-garage-...d-4-wheel.html
It is available at that price in Pune but it costs 1000/- to ship.
Thanks for the link. Looks like a well finished product and reasonably priced too. I'm considering ordering one for my bike, just need to read the fine print on warranty and returns.
Old 29th November 2014, 04:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Looks like a well finished product and reasonably priced too. I'm considering ordering one for my bike, just need to read the fine print on warranty and returns.
Hopefully getting one next week. Hand carried from Pune thro a friend. Can give a detailed report thereafter.
Old 5th December 2014, 20:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Got the paddock stand from redlineplus. Unfortunately one of the wheels were loose as it was of a wrong size. A call to Aditya of redline and he couriered the correct wheel to me in 26 hours. So now I am fully geared up for riding. All the bike papers are in order, all protective gear tried and tested for comfort, and all essential mods done.

Did Bangalore - Adigas Kolar last Sunday:- beautiful scenery + weather + bike = happiness.

Some pics
The Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20141205_165802.jpg

The Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20141130_082548.jpg
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Kawasaki Ninja owners Group had a get together at Hampi over the weekend. Took my Hornet for this ride and it was a learning experience.

Firstly, the 378 kms to Hospet via Hiriyur, Challekere and Bellary was beautiful, great surface and super curved at places. It was my first long group ride. I have done long rides before Goa, Pune etc but never in a big group. Only 2/3 bikes.

Secondly, meeting owners and seeing all the 650s there with all the mods was great. Fellow BHPians were there too, narula123, Sriku, Visaster.

Two Ninjas owners rode down from Delhi/Punjab more than 2000 kms

Riding in a group requires discipline. Most of us could ride for 1 1/2 hr to 2 hrs before stiffness sets in and a break is required.

The 650 is excellent for touring body posture, adequate power to accelerate out of nasty traffic situations, mileage of 28-29 kmpl gives a range of 340 odd before the reserve bar lights up.

A ride of this length, 7 hrs, is a proper test of your gear. Any minor discomfort, pressure point, or small irritant becomes a pain after some time and can get severe enough to distract for the road.

Also experienced my first episode of tankslapping. It was frightening but it fortunately died off with coming off the gas.

Riders gather for breakfast at Kamat, Dobbespet.The Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20150116_074519.jpg

My tank bag. It was more than adequate for a 2 night trip. The transparent pocket on top was too close to the the chest to be able to read easily.The Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20150111_102200.jpg

Some pics of the greenThe Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20150117_090535.jpgThe Green Hornet: My pre-worshipped Kawasaki Ninja 650R-img_20150117_090548.jpg

Last edited by goandude : 19th January 2015 at 10:25.
goandude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 12:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I have installed EBC extreme pro at Auto Center along with Sliders. Not done much after that but hopefully will have better anchors after they are bedded in.

Hey Leslie, nice to see so many Kawas together. Must have been fun.

Can I ask you how much you paid for the EBC pads?

Also, the issue with the engine cutting off, has it been sorted out for you? Happened twice for me when I bought the bike and once when I was bent over for a U-turn. Scary!! But it has reduced now though it still happens maybe once a week or so. Need to figure out what the issue is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks