Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Vikram Pawah appointed MD of Harley-Davidson India

Vikram Pawah has been appointed as the Managing Director of Harley-Davidson India. He has replaced Anoop Prakash, who moved to the company's Canada operations.

Vikram Pawah appointed MD of Harley-Davidson India-vikram-pawah-managing-director-harleydavidson-india.jpg

In his new role, Pawah will manage Harley-Davidson India's leadership team, which is responsible for in-country sales, dealer network management, marketing, service and operations activities to expand the company’s presence in the country.

Pawah brings more than 24 years of experience, of which 21 were with Honda in India and Australia. His most recent role was assistant vice president and operating head - sales with Honda Cars India Ltd, where he led the sales operations across India and the export markets for product and accessories. Prior to Honda, he worked with Jay Engineering Works Ltd. and Fun Foods India Pvt. Ltd.

Pawah holds a Master of Business Administration degree from the Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia, a post-graduate diploma in Business Management from the Institute of Management Studies in Delhi and a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) degree from MLN College, Delhi University.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vikram Pawah appointed MD of Harley-Davidson India

Smart guy, but he has big shoes to fill! Anoop Prakash did a fab job of establishing Harley in India. In fact, he was the face of Harley Davidson here (few corporate CEOs ever achieve that distinction).

He's going to have to trade in his suit for a leather jacket, denims & boots . Would be interesting to know how he adapts to Harley's culture....coming from a very formal Japanese company.

Challenges up ahead too. From Business Standard:

Quote:
Harley Davidson sold 4,641 bikes in the year ended March 31, 2015, up 141 per cent from the previous year. In the April-August period of the current year, volumes declined by eight per cent to 1,684 units.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with GTO.

Anoop did a fantastic job in setting up Harley in India in 2009 and within such a short span, Harley has now become one of the most sought after cult motorcycle for people of all ages in India

With introduction of new Dark Custom 2016 models, Iam sure Harley's sale will continue to spiral upwards

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd September 2015 at 12:53. Reason: forgot to complete the sentence :)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with GTO here, anyone who has interacted with Anoop Prakash only has great things to say about him. I hope the brand continues to grown amidst all the competition. Hope to buy a Harley when I turn 40 for sure.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Smart guy, but he has big shoes to fill! Anoop Prakash did a fab job of establishing Harley in India. In fact, he was the face of Harley Davidson here (few corporate CEOs ever achieve that distinction).
While I agree with GTO and others here to a certain extent about the guy at the top making a difference, I feel it does not apply completely to a company which is a motorcycling legend like Harley Davidson. I do not agree with Mobike008's idea at all. HD was already a cult much before it was launched in India to the target audience here. HD's launch in India made it easy for people with the money.

In India people who are into bikes and particularly want to buy a cruiser, would straight away think of Harley Davidson, period. There are brands like Indian, Victory etc, but top of mind recall would be HD, pure and simple. A lot of people buy a HD to get into the brotherhood. It is not the person leading the team that matters as much as the already existing brand equity of Harley Davidson! This was not created by anybody in India.

The breed that buys HD, is buying the brand created since decades. For these people nothing else will do, it's all HEART!

Before the Street, it was difficult for a lot of aspiring people to buy in, simply because of the cost involved. The increase in sales is reflecting this point in my opinion. The new Dark Custom range with increased comfort, better braking, more power, contests like h-d/testrideandwin (India) etc is a company feeling the heat with customers maturing and thinking beyond the brand worldwide. Still, for a person with HD on their mind, it makes no difference at all.

Please do not misunderstand me here guys, I am not disrespecting Mr. Anoop Prakash or Mr. Vikram Pawah. HD has the rare distinction of being the bike brand that literally sells itself. This is the power of the already existing brand, not an individual.

Do let me know your point of view to the above.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I do not agree with Mobike008's idea at all. HD was already a cult much before it was launched in India to the target audience here. HD's launch in India made it easy for people with the money.
What I meant of Harley becoming a cult motorcycle in India was based on buyers experiencing this brand for themselves ( not just hearsay about knowing that Harley is a cult brand globally)

From 2009 to 2015, Harley has made significant strides by creating HOG chapters all over our country, participating in full force at IBW etc which gave the owners the real feel of "Harley Brand" & "Harley Brotherhood"

That's what Harley says right, you are not buying a bike; but, your buying into a lifestyle
Old 24th September 2015, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What I meant of Harley becoming a cult motorcycle in India was based on buyers experiencing this brand for themselves ( not just hearsay about knowing that Harley is a cult brand globally)
From 2009 to 2015, Harley has made significant strides by creating HOG chapters all over our country, participating in full force at IBW etc which gave the owners the real feel of "Harley Brand" & "Harley Brotherhood"
The target audience of HD is not your average joe who buys a Hero Honda Splendor, with starting prices (at launch) being around INR 9 lacs (Honda City territory). This strata of people would already know what they are buying into and why. Perhaps a section would also have had a touch and feel of the HD experience abroad.

Likewise, creating HOG chapters etc etc is standard operating procedure for HD anywhere in the world - nothing new.

My point was/is launching HD and heading it operationally would not be as challenging as perhaps an obscure brand of motorcycles at these kind of prices.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers
Cyborg
Old 25th September 2015, 01:51   #8
BANNED

Have a lot of respect for Anoop Prakash. He is a true blue Marine and his "Semper Fi" attitude has shown through.

Most people might dismiss his work as trivial, and credit the brand for it's success, but not me.

Credit is due when it is deserving, and Mr. Prakash has earned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
My point was/is launching HD and heading it operationally would not be as challenging as perhaps an obscure brand of motorcycles at these kind of prices.

Cheers
Cyborg
Don't think price and name brand recognition are sufficient. Ducati comes to mind.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 19:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Don't think price and name brand recognition are sufficient. Ducati comes to mind.
I am with you on heart/cojones being a vital ingredient for success Gthang. As mentioned earlier, no disrespect to Mr. Anoop Prakash at all.

Ducati suffered a massive setback to its reputation in India, as you being an owner of the Diavel would know more than most. Due to that kind of negativity, it's hardly fair to compare it to brand HD.

Cheers

P.S. - LOVED the Diavel after a test ride
Old 25th September 2015, 19:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's what Harley says right, you are not buying a bike; but, your buying into a lifestyle
This I agree to wholeheartedly. The Harley brotherhood is to be experienced to be believed. The bikes are good, not great, and I say so as an owner of one. But it's the whole brotherhood and the cult that defines a Harley. It's more about the overall experience than the bike itself. Harley Davidson is perhaps the best marketing company on earth that happens to make motorcycles :P
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 08:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Harley Davidson is perhaps the best marketing company on earth that happens to make motorcycles :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
It's more about the overall experience than the bike itself
Exactly. That was my whole point. Reading about how HOGS operate world wide and how its such a cult brand is so different from experiencing it on your own. And, now the Indian motorcyclists are glued into this experience and that's super important for H-D sales for future and Anoop Prakash made that experience possible during his stint as head of H-D

Having just a brand name doesn't sell superbikes in volumes. Examples galore : BMW, Ducati and Kawasaki with Triumph being an exception as they have been fairly successful and trying to create an eco-system like H-D in India
Old 29th September 2015, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly. That was my whole point. Reading about how HOGS operate world wide and how its such a cult brand is so different from experiencing it on your own. And, now the Indian motorcyclists are glued into this experience and that's super important for H-D sales for future and Anoop Prakash made that experience possible during his stint as head of H-D

Having just a brand name doesn't sell superbikes in volumes. Examples galore : BMW, Ducati and Kawasaki with Triumph being an exception as they have been fairly successful and trying to create an eco-system like H-D in India
None of them are as popular as HD with masses. Yes a enthusiast may know them. As far as my experience goes, people who know nothing about bikes will still scream harley davidson when they see a bike which looks similar, none of the brands has that kind of brand recognition. This has helped a lot in sales and the affordable models from HD pushed it further.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 11:38   #13
BHPian

After reading various opinions, I feel compelled to present my minority 'outofthebox' views on this topic:

Firstly, there can be no doubt that the first MD has done a fantastic job building brand HD in India. The numbers speak for themselves. But the prevailing winds to his sail were provided by the following factors:
a)HD & (some) Triumph products are definitely a natural 'upgrade' to a nation nurtured on an overdose of Royal Enfields, aided by a near complete vacuum of other types of bikes the rest of the world prefers to ride.

b) HD entry was timed with a rise in disposable incomes and complete apathy of established Japanese manufacturers to this segment.
c) IMHO, HD is to motorcycles what Bose is to music systems & both have seen success in India. Make what you will of that statement - this is just my 'minority' opinion.

Secondly, I don't think HD ever was or ever will be a superbike manufacturer, so comparisons with the Honda, Kawasaki & Ducati's of this world are a tad unfair.

Last but not the least, as of now India is a level playing field and a time to make hay while the sun shines for all >200cc manufacturers. But this is only till someone in Indian government wakes up and implements proper bike licensing laws comparable to international standards. There will surely be a rapid drop in sales once such a system is implemented properly.
Old 29th September 2015, 11:52   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
After reading various opinions, I feel compelled to present my minority 'outofthebox' views on this topic:

For a "balanced" view, one must look at the story behind the story as well.

If it wasn't for HD pushing the Indian Govt. to change import laws, this level playing field would never have existed.

It wasn't just "Harleys for Mangoes", it was "Superbikes for Mangoes". Bet you never read that headline before.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks