Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2016, 01:27   #1
BHPian

My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy

After a long wait coupled with immense patience, I had the opportunity to attend the Triumph Tiger Training Academy today along with good friend and fellow bhpian outofthebox.

Braving the early morning fog and chill, we reached the venue (Surajkund, NCR) at around 9:20 AM in the morning. Triumph India had arranged for delicious breakfast and beverages free of cost for all the participants.

Before I begin, I would like to clarify that this was not a competition. This was a get-together of bikers from different backgrounds who had immense interest in off roading and a desire to make full use of perhaps the best off roader available in India - The Triumph Tiger 800.

We were given our registration forms and having filled them up we received our Triumph Tiger Training Academy wrist bands. The excitement was building up as every moment passed.

Our instructor/trainer for the day was Mr. Vijay Parmar, the creator and organiser of the Raid De Himalaya and unarguably a legend in the motorcycling community of our country. A soft spoken man of 56, he played the role of guide beautifully by inscribing the principle of "Unlearn/Re-learn" into our minds right from the moment he spoke.

He first began with basic motorcycling techniques, skills and lingos. We then proceeded to the basics of off-roading, it's intricacies and also explored the relationship between a rider and his motorcycle. This was something amazing - because I had only felt these things within myself before and never had someone discuss about these emotions with me. I felt at home.

We then proceeded onto the features and grandeur of the Triumph Tiger 800, a dominating, masculine and intimidating piece of machinery that surely sent shivers down the spines of mine. It's the tallest bike one can find to ride.

And that's something which is very, very difficult.

We were taught various riding postures, how to approach a corner on gravel, how to ascend and descend steep inclines among other things. These topics further boosted my confidence and made me welcome the challenge in hand with open arms.

Post that, we were taken to a walk of the entire trail which had some scary inclines and slopes with absolutely no trace of a spot where you tyre could hold grip. The trail was well chosen with a balance of straights, curves and rocky trails.

Meanwhile, all participants had to undergo the cone riding test, which was basically a test of balance and alertness. It set the mood just before we hit the trail. I did the first go of the cone test on a Tiger XCx and came back later on a XRx.

Shortly thereafter, I set out on the trail on a Tiger XRx and boy - was it fun to crush those fears in my mind. I took to the inclines and slopes like fish to water. The Tiger inspired confidence and security even in the gravest of situations. Did have some wheel skids and fishtails at a couple of places, but my 6'4 frame ensured I didn't eat the dust. There were a couple of falls - by the seasoned Tiger owners too. It was anything but easy.

At one point, my Tiger stalled at a steep incline of almost 70 degrees leaving no way out for me. I gathered my strength and my courage, hit the crank, gave it a light blip and boom - the Tiger took me to the summit. I would be well within my rights to say that today has changed my perceptions on the Triumph Tiger, at least when it comes to riding on non-tarmacs.

Post the mentally and physically exhausting trail conquest, we took some much needed rest and refreshments after which we set off for home, at around 3 PM or so.

It goes without saying that Triumph conducted this even beautifully and gave me the opportunity to meet someone as reputed as Mr. Parmar. We even exchanged numbers! I got to know a host of people owning a host of bikes who came into the event with nothing but passion within their hearts and determination in their minds.

We shall be receiving our official Triumph certificates soon.

As I type this, I strongly feel that this event has made me shed away my inhibitions about off roading. It has made me a stronger, skilled, more mature, wiser and an intelligent motorcyclist. Knowledge is best used when it's spread and I hope to do so every time I meet a fellow enthusiast.

1. The Cone Test.
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-1.jpg

2. outofthebox getting in the mood.
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-2.jpg

3. The Wristband.
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-3.jpg

4. Ascend Quick.
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-5.jpg

5. Descend Quicker.
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-4.jpg

6. Point of no return.
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-6.jpg

7. For the ride!
My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy-7.jpg

Last edited by barcalad : 24th January 2016 at 01:32.
barcalad is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 06:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy

Awesome! Did you guys shoot any go pro videos?
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 12:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Awesome! Did you guys shoot any go pro videos?
We did shoot a video via outofthebox's Garmin Virb. It kind of came out well too - the only issue being it has no audio.

In videos like these, where the pull of the throttle and the smacking of rocks against the bike is pure music, it would be foolish to upload one without any audio. Hence.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Our instructor/trainer for the day was Mr. Vijay Parmar, the creator and organiser of the Raid De Himalaya and unarguably a legend in the motorcycling community of our country. A soft spoken man of 56, he played the role of guide beautifully by inscribing the principle of "Unlearn/Re-learn" into our minds right from the moment he spoke.

He first began with basic motorcycling techniques, skills and lingos. We then proceeded to the basics of off-roading, it's intricacies and also explored the relationship between a rider and his motorcycle. This was something amazing - because I had only felt these things within myself before and never had someone discuss about these emotions with me. I felt at home.

We were taught various riding postures, how to approach a corner on gravel, how to ascend and descend steep inclines among other things. These topics further boosted my confidence and made me welcome the challenge in hand with open arms.
barcalad mate thanks a lot for sharing your experiences about one of the best ADV tourers available in India The Triumph Tiger. Learning the techniques while doing off roading from a veteran is more than one could ask for. Given the fact that Triumph Tiger is nose/front heavy it would be really great if you could share the different techniques in detail used while going off road. I would be indebted to you as I am an ADV tourer enthusiast.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 11:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
barcalad mate thanks a lot for sharing your experiences about one of the best ADV tourers available in India The Triumph Tiger. Learning the techniques while doing off roading from a veteran is more than one could ask for. Given the fact that Triumph Tiger is nose/front heavy it would be really great if you could share the different techniques in detail used while going off road. I would be indebted to you as I am an ADV tourer enthusiast.
But, of course, mate! Let me describe the posture used for steep ascends and descends.

While ascending, the first and foremost thing is to grip the tank with your knees. That being done, you are to bring forward your body weight somewhat above the tank. The hands are not to be bent while holding the handles and your chin should line up exactly above the central symmetry of the windscreen. You have to always look up, that is - towards the horizon/summit and not on anything else. Throttle should be given in a measured way (that comes with practice. I myself stalled on an incline).

While descending, bring your body weight slightly backwards, somewhere in the area where the rider seat ends/pillion seat begins. Stand up, knees tightly gripping the tank. You need to stand on the pegs to have an eagle's view of the gravel ahead. After reaching the summit, keep 30 seconds to plan your descent. This is not a race. Again, mark your reference point on the slope so as to avoid riding over big stones and end up crashing. Once you've decided your imaginary route, keep your handle straight, come what may. Any twist or turn of the handle after catching speed can be fatal. Rely heavily on engine braking and in case of an emergency - use both the brakes slightly. In most cases, the engine braking will see you through.

While approaching corners, always keep your weight concentrated on one foot peg. You may stand up on the pegs if you're confident, but if you're of short height, sit down. It will help you balance the bike in case things go south. The idea of negotiating a corner is minimum turn/maximum weight. Your weight combined with the weight of the bike with minimal turning of the handle should see you through the corner. Don't worry about the stones. The Tiger gobbles stones and rocks for breakfast.

Other things such as keeping the bike on off road mode, reducing both tyre pressures drastically (I rode on 22/24), and adjusting the suspension are some other tips for taking the Tiger to territories that are but a dream for other motorcycles. Hope that helped!
barcalad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 11:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice report and good to know it can tackle these type of terrain easily

Now I regret not attending the training despite several follow up calls by the Triumph Team here in Hyderabad
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 12:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, of course, mate! Let me describe the posture used for steep ascends and descends.
Thanks a ton mate for your valuable explanation and description. I have done some fair share of offroading and your inputs give some sort of a Dejavu. As I have rode on such trails and fell a couple of times but not very badly as I was able to hold my composure and also that I was at crawling speeds. I will make a note of your inputs and practice them.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant stuff Ayush, thanks for sharing it with us. How much do you think your height helped you manage the bike well, knowing that this isnt a puny bike, just curious.
Offroad is your kind of terrain as well, so I am sure you would have had a whale of a time
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Brilliant stuff Ayush, thanks for sharing it with us. How much do you think your height helped you manage the bike well, knowing that this isnt a puny bike, just curious.
Offroad is your kind of terrain as well, so I am sure you would have had a whale of a time
Thanks, Samarth bhai.

Well, my height was a very crucial factor in this entire escapade. For starters, it helped me control the bike and balance it on the trail - particularly during the ascends and descends.
For instance, the place where I stalled my bike and the precarious angle I found myself in - I would have surely eaten the dust because it all happened in a jiffy. My legs helped me balance myself immediately and the bike from leaning over, although it did toast my thighs until I regained composure as the entire 230 kgs of the bike and my weight came on them. I remember that once I climbed that summit - my face had gone all red and I was breathing heavily. The track marshals (who offered help at that point but I refused) freaked out and asked me to take a breather. It was epic.

Most of the falls that happened there were only because the riders didn't go both legs down at the right time or probably fell short of length.

Yep, indeed. A major con of my height is that I can't knee down on a corner on a Kwacker (like you ). Hence, off-roading on a super tall bike is a major relief.

Last edited by barcalad : 25th January 2016 at 14:22.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 19:14   #10
BHPian

Re: My experience at the Triumph Tiger Training Academy

For those present at IBW, the Tiger Training Academy is being held there. Not sure of timings. Go for it. Worth your time!
Old 25th February 2016, 20:03   #11
BHPian

Great report barcalad! thanks for sharing. It's good to know that bike manufacturers are taking these kind of initiatives.

Just a quick question - apologies if I missed this out in your post - is this training open to only triumph bike owners or to anyone who is willing to pay? Are non triumph bikes allowed?
anandpkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 18:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
Just a quick question - apologies if I missed this out in your post - is this training open to only triumph bike owners or to anyone who is willing to pay? Are non triumph bikes allowed?
Immensely sorry for the super late reply to your query. I just happened to read it.

It's open to both Triumph as well as Non-Triumph owners. However, it's worth nothing that Triumph owners are given first preference and only if some slots are empty, Non-Triumph owners are welcome.

This event was free of cost so the question of paying doesn't arise. Non-Triumph bikes are not allowed in the training area/trail although you're allowed to park at the designated spot with other Triumph bikes.

Hope this helped.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 04:54   #13
BANNED

@barcalad. Thanks for a wonderful overview. This is a great way to let the big bike owners know that they don't just own a poser. That their bike isn't as fragile as they think and that it can do more than just cruise on the highways.

However, I still think that the Indian market needs to evolve as we're taking the upside-down approach to adventure riding.

Before taking a 250kg adventure bike on a trail, I think we should try out and learn with a lighter, enduro bike, which is a lot more nimble off-road. A lighter weight would mean that the enthusiastic riders don't have to wait for their friends to find time. Since enduros are super light, you can dare to venture into the wilderness on your own as it's a lot easier to just pick up a 150kg enduro and even push/pull it out of a tricky situation even if the rider lacks the skills to do it with the feet on the pegs. You can't even think off taking the tiger off-road by yourself unless you've spent some time in the saddle honing your skills on a less-intimidating machine.

I'd understand if Triumph didn't let other bikes try the trail because a lighter bike with 1/10th the horsepower (with the right tyres and a moderately experienced pair of hands) could do what the tigers usually do at the training academy.

Hell, I don't think many Tiger/GS owners would even think of going where I have taken my Honda Navi in past. And I haven't ever had to call for help even when I get stuck. I'm far from an experienced rider. I think my Navi could get me through the trail you guys did with the Tiger, even if it means I have to push it across the finish line. You can't do that (I mean pushing) with a Tiger.

Quote:
At one point, my Tiger stalled at a steep incline of almost 70 degrees leaving no way out for me. I gathered my strength and my courage, hit the crank, gave it a light blip and boom - the Tiger took me to the summit.
All inclines feel like 70-degrees steep when you're drained out. I've been there. I'd urge you to pull out a protractor and see what 70 degree looks like. It'd be near impossible to even walk a 70-degree incline, let alone stop and get the motorcycle moving again.

Trust me, it would've looked a lot more doable if you were on a CRF250 or even an Impulse or Navi.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 31st March 2018 at 05:04.
MaheshY1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
However, I still think that the Indian market needs to evolve as we're taking the upside-down approach to adventure riding.

Before taking a 250kg adventure bike on a trail, I think we should try out and learn with a lighter, enduro bike, which is a lot more nimble off-road.
I have been fortunate to take a spin on my friend's Tiger and can say it's a brilliant machine. But I agree with your thoughts here, we've taken an top down approach to ADVs.

It is always best to go from the smallest to the biggest. However since my friend had a chance to attend this training course too, he says he's far more confident with his machine now. Kudos to Triumph for organizing this. Hoping to join him on the next Tiger Training session.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks