Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2016, 20:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Harley-Davidson pays fine for selling modification that increases emissions

Now a American bike manufacturer sued for installing defeat device in the US.. The US government is suing Harley-Davidson for violating federal air pollution laws. Stock tanked 8% today.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson Inc.’s “Screamin’ Eagle” after-market engine tuners are emissions-control defeat devices, the U.S. government alleged in a lawsuit accusing the motorcycle maker of violating federal air pollution laws.
The Milwaukee-based company sold more than 339,000 of those devices from 2008 to 2015, according to a complaint filed Thursday at a U.S. court in Washington. The government seeks a court order barring the company from making, selling or installing the tuners on bikes certified as emissions compliant, plus financial penalties
Article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...defeat-devices

Last edited by SnS_12 : 18th August 2016 at 20:31.
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 23:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Harley-Davidson pays fine for selling modification that increases emissions

Aug 18, 2016
Harley-Davidson agreed less than an hour ago to pay a 15 million (US) dollar fee to avoid litigation on the Screamin' Eagle, emission violation allegations.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/harley-d...rge-1471534284
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 12:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Harley-Davidson pays fine for selling modification that increases emissions

Just to clarify, this is NOT the same as VW selling millions of factory cars that cheat the emissions test.

Rather, Harley was selling a mod that increased the emissions. That's no different than any of us who have gotten a remap or diesel powerbox. Of course, a company like Harley should ensure that its official line of mods meet all regulations, but again, this isn't comparable to VW's fraud. When Mercedes sells an after-market exhaust (as an example), it ensures that the mod is compliant with all local laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Harley-Davidson agreed less than an hour ago to pay a 15 million (US) dollar fee to avoid litigation on the Screamin' Eagle, emission violation allegations.
More than litigation, I think Harley quickly paid off the fine so that the issue dies down in the press. No one will discuss it for more than a week (unlike VW's scam which still generates headlines).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 17:10   #4

Don't they sell these accessories abroad labeled -non street legal-. They are labeled as Closed Track only I think.

My Vance and Hines exhaust on that 1600cc engine doesn't adhere to the decibel limit, I'm sure of it.
aahlawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 10:55   #5
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson pays fine for selling modification that increases emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahlawat View Post
Don't they sell these accessories abroad labeled -non street legal-. They are labeled as Closed Track only I think.

My Vance and Hines exhaust on that 1600cc engine doesn't adhere to the decibel limit, I'm sure of it.
V&H is a separate company. I believe they mark some of their pipes as not street legal.

However IIRC HD does not mark any of their accessories as not street legal. Moreover it's not the exhausts that is under scrutiny, it's the fuel tuner that is fitted to change the engine tuning (Like the V&H fuelpak). The retuned bikes tend to violate the emission norms as they generally run richer than a factory tune.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks