Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 21:13   #1

How much to import from US?

Simple guys, it's winder here in US; lots of bike are being repo; now on sale for dealer; my friend a dealer, can get 2003 suzuki 600 for around 3500 USD; nearly 1.5 lakhs or less with small damage to fenders;

is it possible to import to india? how much? any suggestion on import brokers in Mumbai?

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2006, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Importing a bike

Based on personal experience, I'd strongly suggest - Forget It. It's better to buy one through a dealer here. First of all you can only import it under a Transfer of Residence. You also should have owned it for a minimum of 1 year before the date of shipment. Then comes the horrendous duty - close to 120% on the depreciated value. They estimate the original price based on KBB or similar. Then for every quarter from manufacturing date they depreciate by a certain percentage to a maximum of 70%. Thus, to claim the maximum percentage the bike should be 7 years old! Then comes the shipping, handling, agent charges and if you end up with the wrong officials....

I really don't know how the latest bikes end up here and the price quoted is much lower than the above official rates but enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 3rd December 2006, 14:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpanicker View Post
Then comes the horrendous duty - close to 120% on the depreciated value.
seriously not worth that much..u might as well catch hold of a broker here and get some setting done...but still the duty is pretty heavy.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks