Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 09:04   #1
BHPian

My MV Agusta F4 1000R mini-review

After more than 4 weeks in limbo, my dealer called me up on November 22nd, just when I was boarding my flight for London. The bike had just arrived and was finally ready for pickup. So after thanksgiving, I hopped down to the dealer, and picked up the bike. After 400 miles of riding, I decided to sit down and write a mini-review on this animal.

The first thing that struck me about the bike was the rev-gauge that showed an ominous 17,000 rpm reading and no switches. MV says that the bike tops out at 13,000 rpm, so I wonder why the need to keep a rev-gauge upto 17,000 rpm. Guess, this is the new trend - apparently Yamaha has gone the same way. The 06 and 07 R1 have revs upto 16,000 rpm although they max out at 13,000.

The settings on the dashboard can be changed by pressing the start button after the bike engine is up and running. The settings toggle among trip a, trip b, current tripmeter, lap meters and a watch.

The deep throated burbling sound that comes out from the 4 Arrow tail-pipes is pure symphony. Ducati has its patented generator sound, Harley has its "potato-potato" noise, Yamaha its whine, and MV has its roar. The symphony from its exhaust is the same as a Ferrari, just less louder. No wonder, as Tamburini disassembled the exhaust system of a Ferrari to design the exhaust details of this beast.

The inline 4 cylinder has been reworked and has 8 more Hp compared to the S version, the wheels have forged Brembo rims, Brembo monobloc 320 mm disc brakes, and marzocchi forks. The massive 190 rear Pirelli tire ensures that no traction is sacrificed. MV probably has thrown everything from the factory floor of their racing division CRC on the bike. Warning tags, and a plethora of stickers make you feel like you are visiting a lion's cage.

The bike seems to follow my inner voice and goes in the direction that I point to. The seat and the mirrors are a joke, thanks to true Italian styling. The underseat exhausts make sure that you will be sterile and your nuts will be baked after an hours drive while you sit on the seat. You can only appreciate your elbows in the mirror. Forget looking out for cars on your side. The bike parts traffic like Moses parted the Red sea. The only thing you have to worry about are drivers who try to get a better look at the bike and come dangerously close to you.

The bike scores huge points in styling and generating raw emotions. It has been 8 years since the model has come out and no styling changes have been done. This is another icon of Massimo Tamburini like his 1994 Ducati 916. Having been an ardent Ducati fan and the owner of a 05 749, I must say that Ducati has a lot to learn from MV.

Quality is top notch. Everything reeks of style and an overdose of sex and oomph. If Ducati were Ferrari symbolizing style and grace, MV is Lamborghini glamorizing the bad boy attitude complete with 2 bimbos and a bag of coke.

The MV Agusta F4 1000 R has been declared the world's fastest production bike after claiming a top speed of 187.1 (301 lpmh) at the Bonnevile salt flats in Southern California. I know that a lot of bikers out here will still say that the Hayabusa is the fastest bike. Frankly, I dont care - it is pointless to talk about top speeds when the busa, the kwacker and the italians all achieve the same. Oodles of power and the unquenching need for speed.

I decided to post some pics that I took in front of my home. I have yet to go out and ride in the mountains and find out how this bad boy behaves, and I am sure that I will not be disappointed.

Meanwhile enjoy this pics.

Old 7th December 2006, 09:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, great review! I'm not an SBK fan myself (not at all a bike guy, actually), but your review has got me interested, at least to see what this beast looks like. The pics don't show. Could you put them up again?

Enjoy your bike. Ride safely.
Old 7th December 2006, 09:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there... but can't see no pics... also please post some numbers in terms of acceleration and top speeds achieved by you...

have fun and drive safe bro...
Old 7th December 2006, 20:52   #4
BHPian

great write up dude.Always liked the MV Aug roar...

could you post the pics cause i am not able to view it.

P.S Now is it better than s*x?
Old 7th December 2006, 21:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Bloody hell !! You lucky dog !! I am so jealous of you

Nice mini-review man.... what would be truly awesome for us guys would be for you to take a video of your bike in full flight and post the video here.... Only for the sound man..... I wouldnt mind downloading a 100 MB video file to experience the true MV Agusta roar...

I have not been fortunate enough to listen to one.... .
Old 7th December 2006, 21:25   #6
BHPian

awesome write up man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Quality is top notch. Everything reeks of style and an overdose of sex and oomph. If Ducati were Ferrari symbolizing style and grace, MV is Lamborghini glamorizing the bad boy attitude complete with 2 bimbos and a bag of coke.
i espacially liked this part.

it's nice that you live in cali(if i remember correctly) good weather all year round. do post a longer review when you've clocked some more miles, i like your writing.
have fun and safe riding.

P.S. still waiting allan?
Old 7th December 2006, 23:00   #7
BHPian

pics uploaded again

Sorry for the goof up regarding the pics.

I uploaded the images on photbucket. Hopefully this link should work

mv4avi - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 8th December 2006, 01:31   #8
BHPian

uploaded my bike pics on

mv4avi - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 8th December 2006, 06:58   #9
BHPian

Nice review man. I have always been a fan of the MV. Italians. Dont you love them?

When it comes to passion and character in a car or a bike no one can beat the Italians. I just love this bike.
Old 8th December 2006, 20:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just want to know is it really worth MSRP: $22,995 where all other litres like the R1, ZX-10R, CBR-1000RR can be had for less than $12000.

I know this is something similar to asking whether the Lambo Murci is worth the moolah paid ?
U already own a R1, so u may be the best person to answer this. Does it really offer so much that one pays double the price for it.

No doubt the styling is awesome and the 4 tails pipes are a killer. Brembos are big bonus. Any reason for not choosing the Black color. Its looks awesome for me at :
MV Agusta F4-1000 R
Old 8th December 2006, 22:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, true from the heart being a Biker I know. Though not much riding nowadays, but I have began to miss my CBR after I read your article, have to buy another soon ,
Italians make styke statements out of bikes which can perform too on a racetrack. Cheers!
I dream of owning an Augusta some day, but can't afford it right now.
Enjoyyy !
Old 8th December 2006, 23:23   #12
BHPian

can I justify buying an MV

Dipen,

The R1 is as good as the MV if not better. If you are looking from an economic point of view, there is no justification in buying an MV when you can get a new R1, ZX-10R and probably half of a GXR for the same price of an MV. All 3 bikes have 170+ HP, go upto nearly 300 kmph and handle like a dream. As I say myself, buying a MV is pleasing your emotions. You dont buy it to justify riding it from point a to point b, you buy it to please your soul.

I get my daily dose of adrenaline from riding the R1, and I have never even thought of parting from it. I guess its just the opinion of the person. At the end of the day, why do people buy supercars? The answer to that question lies with the person who made the purchase.

Now for the 2nd part, the black MV looks good in brochures. It looks sleek, but it fades out in front of the red/silver color combo. The black MV dulls out the contours and curves of the bike in general and makes it looks more like a stealth bomber rather than an Italian hotty. Just my opinion.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:05   #13
BHPian

i have not seen any change in the MV styling since its pics from 99 FastBikes mag, unlike jap and even dukes that have many changes.
do update me on this part.
Old 12th December 2006, 12:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

hey nofear congratulations on your decision to go in for the MV. It just shows how passionate you are about bikes.Ride safe and have lots of fun.
Cheers !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks