Team-BHP - Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/195248-emflux-one-electric-superbike-auto-expo-2018-a.html)

Big shoutout to khan_sultan for shooting these pictures & his coverage of the Auto Expo. Thanks for sharing, man!

Emflux Motors - a Bangalore-based start-up showcased its first electric superbike at the 2018 Auto Expo:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-1.jpg

It is called the Emflux One and it looks like any other superbike, except that it is powered by an electric motor:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-2.jpg

Here are the specifications:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-3.jpg

It is based around a tubular steel trellis frame and has a single sided tubular steel trellis swingarm. It has a wheelbase of 1,395 mm and the seat height is set at 810 mm. The kerb weight of the bike is 169 kg:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-4.jpg

Vertical LED tail lamp and offset rear monoshock:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-5.jpg

A similarly shaped LED headlight with an integrated LED DRL:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-13.jpg

The 6.8-inch touchscreen instrument panel runs on Emflux Learning OS V1.0 and has features like navigation, Bluetooth, WiFi and 4G connectivity:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-6.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-61.jpg

Conventional switchgear on the left handle bar...
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-10.jpg

...and a brake fluid reservoir on the right:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-11.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-12.jpg

Twin 300 mm discs with Brembo monoblock 4-piston radial calipers and 43 mm upside-down Ohlins forks. These can be upgraded to Ohlins Race and Track units with adjustable preload, damping and rebound:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-7.jpg

The bike rides on 17-inch, 5-spoke cast alloy wheels:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-8.jpg

It comes with a 220 mm rear disc brake with a Brembo fixed caliper. It has dual channel ABS:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-9.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-16.jpg

Liquid-cooled Emflux 3 Phase AC Induction electric motor fits snugly between the frame. Peak output is 80.4 BHP but is limited to 71 BHP. The motor produces a peak torque of 84 Nm (limited to 75 Nm). The company claims that the bike will accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 3.0 seconds and has a top speed of 200 km/h:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-14.jpg

9.7 kWh lithium-ion modular battery pack with integrated high power Samsung cells:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-17.jpg

It takes 36 minutes to re-charge the battery to 80% using the WARP Charger. Maximum range is 200 km on a single charge. Riding on the highway at 80 km/h, the battery will last for 150 km:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-15.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-18.jpg

Here are some of the components that make up the Emflux One electric superbike:

Motor Controller:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-19.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-24.jpg

Charger:
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-20.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-21.jpg

Battery Management System (BMS):
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-22.jpg
Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-23.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Auto Expo Section. Thanks for sharing!

Who would be the target customer?

Can't go touring. Range is just 150 km at 80kmph. But again, superbikes aren't made for touring.

Breakfast rides? Without an inline4 soundtrack and the accompanying goosebumps - not sure how many would be interested. Even if they are, the range might be seriously less at triple digit speeds.

The future is not here yet - Atleast when it comes to superbikes. Long way to go before this bike becomes production ready as well. This below is certainly crude even by budget bike standards -

Emflux One Electric Superbike @ Auto Expo 2018-9.jpg

^ Let’s cut them some slack, buddy. I remember on one of the earlier threads, people were worried that they are a fraud. But here they are, I guess they have a working prototype. I tend to encourage start-ups..maybe because I would like to be an entrepreneur someday too.

Let’s reserve our judgements till they start selling to the consumers and let the investors judge till then. I for one, despise using electric motor to power any vehicle. But we live in strange times...this will happen eventually. I’d prefer if it starts with us Indians.

Commendable effort even if its still at a prototype/concept stage.

I can't help but wonder about its on road price in India. As far as I can remember the Tesla 10kWh battery was around INR2.5L some time back, the front and rear Öhlins will not cost less than INR1.5L, that itself is a total of INR4L. And this is without factoring in import duties.

IMO the biggest challenge for them will be in finding a reasonable price point and willing buyers at that price point in India.

Not to mention the quandary owners will find themselves in with the most frequently asked question of super bikers on Indian roads - "kitna deti hai?" lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4353623)
^ Let’s cut them some slack, buddy.

I tend to encourage start-ups..maybe because I would like to be an entrepreneur someday too.

I'm not sure where I was too harsh on them. :eek:

The initial part of the post is about the market. There are riders and posers buying superbikes, and I'm not sure if an electric would appeal to either. Not being specific to Emflux, but yes - considering the specs and range they've mentioned. I hope I'm made to swallow my words if they do a Tesla out of the situation.

The second although specific to the bike - is a reality which they need to take note - and they would only be benefited from it. People would be cautios about spending on a two wheeler capable of doing triple speeds. And especially when it comes from a startup - they would need to be convinced extra on the level of engineering involved.

That said - I certainly do hope they go on and make this concept better. Who knows - something revolutionary happening in battery technologies could make it a viable product proposition in the market. :thumbs up

The price mentioned to me at the stall was ~6L for base version & ~10L for performance package (ohlins + extra goodies). They mentioned that they are targeting April 19 time-frame for launch and claimed that the bike is ~80% production ready.

For me, the motorcycle on first looks, did not seem like a professionally put up one. I am not talking of few rough edges here & there as one can understand that this is not production ready. It was in the overall feel of the bike that I am talking about. I sincerely hope that they make it look polished and they succeed.

Regarding the PCB, put on display, is it made by the company or imported?
Also would be interesting to know the source of the power electronics. The thyristors.
Also the capacitors, what kind of life they have.? To my knowledge the capacitors are unable to bear too much heat and generally fail first in any circuitry.
I guess these questions can be answered by the makers directly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4353623)
^ Let’s cut them some slack, buddy. I remember on one of the earlier threads, people were worried that they are a fraud. But here they are, I guess they have a working prototype. I tend to encourage start-ups..maybe because I would like to be an entrepreneur someday too.

Let’s reserve our judgements till they start selling to the consumers and let the investors judge till then. I for one, despise using electric motor to power any vehicle. But we live in strange times...this will happen eventually. I’d prefer if it starts with us Indians.

That swing arm is scary. Even by working prototype standards. Also the wiring for the "screen" which is basically a tablet as well as the electrical tape wrapping is concerning. Definitely needs to be refined/reviewed.

I work in the EV mobility industry and get/understand how they are dealing between a prototype to show and a prototype which can run quite well. I wouldn't say there a fraud , but more like they are still drumming up funding which is the goal of most start ups. Getting enough demand/interest to show high tier suppliers (Brembo, Ohlins, Pirelli) will let them access those parts but they are going to have to focus on there homegrown systems (BMS, Controller, Motor, Charger) to match systems from Bosch and Sevcon.

The whole world is going EV, not just India.

Powerdrift got a hold of their bike and looks like their prototype is being tested around the city. Have seen it at their office and the hats off to the team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWSV-zfdzs