Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 19:15   #1
BHPian

BMW Motorrad unveils the autonomous driving BMW R 1200 GS

Autonomous cars are the trend among manufacturers now, but we haven't heard much about such tech in two wheelers. Two wheeler manufacturers have been trying a number of different technologies on their rides to make them safer. A self riding motorcycle may not be too far away. We have seen similar efforts from Honda and Yamaha before.

Quote:
Dubbed the ConnectedRide self-driving motorcycle, the new concept showcased is based on the BMW R 1200 GS and according to the German brand, it is a test bed for improving rider safety. According to BMW, the autonomous bike has been developed with a purpose of helping engineers integrate safety systems with a human rider efficiently. It still wants the rider to be in control of the motorcycle and says that the safety system will warn, inform or intervene directly depending on the emergency situation.
Quote:
it seems that the autonomous BMW R 1200 GS has a steering actuator motor while clutch, throttle and gear inputs are handled by a sensor. What we know is that there are no fancy sensors or adaptive steering head to balance the motorcycle. The BMW system goes with a simpler approach and tries to mimic how a human rider balances a bike. It’s a spooky sight to see a motorcycle balance itself and ride around a corner all on its own, and the party trick is the side stand which is automatically deployed once the motorcycle is about to halt.
Source:ACI
Flyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 14:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

BMW Motorrad unveils Autonomous R1200 GS

BMW Motorrad's first autonomous motorbike was presented last week at the BMW Motorrad Techday 2018.

BMW Motorrad claims that the aim of the prototype is to gather additional knowledge with regards driving dynamics in order to detect dangerous situations early on and thus support the driver with appropriate safety systems while turning at intersections or when braking suddenly, for example.

Quote:
With this forward-thinking development, BMW Motorrad, as a driver for technical innovations in the field of motorcycling, is by no means aiming for a completely independent motorbike. Rather, the underlying technology should serve as a platform for development of future systems and functions to make motorcycling even safer, more comfortable and increase the riding pleasure.
Read the full press release here -

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...as?language=en

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2018 at 15:15. Reason: Removing youtube URL (repetition). Thanks.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 19:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW Motorrad unveils the autonomous driving BMW R 1200 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Autonomous cars are the trend among manufacturers now, but we haven't heard much about such tech in two wheelers.
Great news. Apart from improving safety, the autonomous tech can reduce driver fatigue especially in case of people who do touring on their 2-wheels. Generally, in a car, say for example one can do 500 km without getting tired, the same reduces to 300 km on motorbikes.

This news reminds of Honda's concept self-balancing bike. Though not autonomous, such a tech could reduce driver fatigue as well:
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 22:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

I can see BMW motorcycles becoming all the rage with the younger generation.

I can envision hundreds of them riding along blissfully, with their thumbs and fingers flying across the screens of their I-phones busily texting out the latest gossip to their friends while their motorcycle safely propels them down the road.

Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in having ABS on a motorcycle because it can help to prevent a front tyre skid and the crash that usually follows such an occurrence but, a self stabilizing motorcycle? Who needs it?
ArizonaJim is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 01:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in having ABS on a motorcycle because it can help to prevent a front tyre skid and the crash that usually follows such an occurrence but, a self stabilizing motorcycle? Who needs it?
Agree with you.

Sometimes the innovations seem to be made just for the sake of them or to create a sensation in market. If one can't balance a bike, why to attempt riding it?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks