Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are we missing something? Looks like the Benelli 502 twins are off to an excellent start - with over 150 bookings.

Source - ACI
I remember even BMW 310 twins getting truck loads of bookings. Lets wait and watch once test rides start etc on how many people actually take delivery.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 21:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are we missing something? Looks like the Benelli 502 twins are off to an excellent start - with over 150 bookings.

Source - ACI
its a decent bike isn't it, and unique too. Why would someone want to buy a GS anymore, when they can get a twin with bit more money thrown it.

I won't be surprised if some GS booking shifted to this.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 15:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

I saw the TRK502 at Lonavala 3 weeks ago and I can tell you that it has presence! The fit and finish including the plastics to me looked just fine and at par with most brands. The bike looked tall like a Multi but am 5'10 and felt at home. Feet touching the ground firmly enough to manage U-turns. But the bike is definitely heavy at stand still. Maybe the heft is not felt on the move. The bike also had the panniers and they were well made and seemed like a natural fit on the bike. The display is also good, legible and will do the job but if KTM can, not sure why others can't!

Am not sure how it holds up on long term use but I think it means business when you look at it. No wonder the initial bookings reflect the interest. Would be interesting to see how it fares against the trusted Versus some of which on our forum have done above 50k kms and still look young.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 24th March 2019 at 15:14.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 12:14   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a message from the Benelli sales person that the 502X would be on display over the weekend. It was the Bangalore test ride bike that had already gone for the media test rides (and likely dropped while it was there) and had covered 20,000 kms. Since I dont know how badly the bike has been abused, I'll restrict my observations for now.

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20190324_153211_hdr.jpg

Overall, the bike has a lot of presence indeed and that's a big battle won in the Indian market. Especially with the side panniers and top box. The switchgear is ok at best, I think its shared with the Benelli 600i. The mirrors are small and would probably need to be changed. The bike comes with a USB charging slot so you can charge your RAM mounted phone on the go. The rear suspension is adjustable. The seats are nice and comfortable but the clocks look functional and dated. Overall, you wont be blown away by the quality. But I really liked the feel of it, especially for a sub Rs 6.5 L on road price. There were other people who came in to check the motorcycle while I was there and they were comparing the 502 X, positively at times, to the Multistrada and GS 1200.

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20190324_153424_hdr.jpg

Though Benelli has followed the online booking system, the Cochin showroom has 9 bookings tagged to it. This from a company showroom that was closed for a while due to the DSK fiasco while the service centre kept running. Good job Benelli.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why adventure bikes have large upswept exhausts when most likely everyone would have panniers installed ? Can't they make the exhaust smaller like you see in some street bikes where it lies tucked under the gearbox ? Or does the large upswept end can helps in more relaxed highway driving ?
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:38   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I wonder why adventure bikes have large upswept exhausts when most likely everyone would have panniers installed ? Can't they make the exhaust smaller like you see in some street bikes where it lies tucked under the gearbox ? Or does the large upswept end can helps in more relaxed highway driving ?
Water wading. Adventure riding look. Macho. In that order of importance.

The longer pipe and beefier end can also helps with new emission regulations.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 06:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Water wading. Adventure riding look. Macho. In that order of importance.

The longer pipe and beefier end can also helps with new emission regulations.
Hey...I was watching some of the reviews on this bike and noticed that the road going touring version indeed has a tiny under body exhaust and the massive end can is only on the offroading variant. Good to see that attention to detail.

While most reviews appreciate this bike for what it offers at the said price, the high kerb weight is seen as a negative and possibly the more expensive Japanese models from Kawasaki and Suzuki are a safer bet.

This bike at its price point has really got me thinking about restarting biking.
Come to think of it, a dominar 400 at 1.8ex + max 50k for touring mods would probably do everything the benelli can I guess ..
Old 4th May 2019, 10:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey...I was watching some of the reviews on this bike and noticed that the road going touring version indeed has a tiny under body exhaust and the massive end can is only on the offroading variant. Good to see that attention to detail.

While most reviews appreciate this bike for what it offers at the said price, the high kerb weight is seen as a negative and possibly the more expensive Japanese models from Kawasaki and Suzuki are a safer bet.

This bike at its price point has really got me thinking about restarting biking.
Come to think of it, a dominar 400 at 1.8ex + max 50k for touring mods would probably do everything the benelli can I guess ..
Dominar 400 has already proven to be a worthy continent crosser - you can check out the run done by Candida Louis alone across SE Asia and Australia
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 18:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are getting back into motorcycling as a hobby, please think through your usage and budget and spend wisely. Insist on test rides and make an informed choice. Very often the bikes we tend to lean towards based on online reviews and owner feedback may not necessarily click with us on an emotional level when we actually test ride them.

The great thing for Indian motorcyclists is that there are so many options today at so many different price points and quite honestly its difficult to build a bad motorcycle. So yes, the Dominar can help you and me tour the length and breadth of the country. So can the similarly priced Himalayan. And the very nice TVS Apache 310RR. And the Royal Enfield Interceptor. And the Benelli TRK 502 which seems to be a capable machine as far as reviewer feedback goes. At the end of the day, given a budget of say below 5 lakhs, it is usually the rider and not the motorcycle that prevents more touring from happening.

In Cochin, the display bikes have come a few days ago and the test ride bikes should come shortly. The situation should be similar in other cities as well. Wish you all the best in your return to motorcycling!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 09:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was a day off in our UK offices, but not in our India offices. Since, all my stakeholders are based in the UK, I had the day pretty easy. Towards afternoon I got restless and left the office early to ride to the newly opened Benelli showroom in Noida Sector 63, which is about 20 kms. away from my workplace but a short walk from my home.
The showroom had 3 502's and 2 502X's apart from a few 600i's and 300's. Unfortunately they did not have either of the 502 for a Test Ride, and they said that the test ride bikes shall arrive by the 11th. So, I had a test ride (again) of the 600i, before coming back to the showroom for a thorough look at the 502 twins. Here are some impressions:

The Good
- P R E S E N C E: It's big, oozes quality and very well built. Good job Benelli!
- SOUND: Had a deep throaty hum. Not as good as the 600, but it's pretty nice. The 502X sounds way better than the 502 which has slightly lower bass.
- ERGONOMICS: Although I didn't drive the bike, the riding position, the switchgear locations, the handlebar etc. felt very natural. I was not happy with the riding position of the 600i, but this one is very nice.
- WINDSHIELD: The stock windshield is tall and of good quality which means that you'll be quite nicely ensconced from the wind blast, dust, insects etc.
- USB PORT: Very neatly integrated with a good quality waterproof cap.
- PEDALS: Have detachable rubber mounts and the underlying metal frame (for off-road use) were comfortable with my Alpinestars.
- LIGHTS: Although I saw the lights in the afternoon, inside their workshop, it looked quite bright and had sharp cut-offs. More on this when I get my test ride.
- LUGGAGE SYSTEM: Both stock 502's have luggage mounts that can take panniers and a top case. The mounts are very sturdy and double up as a guard in case you happen to drop the bike. The panniers being provided are aluminium, have a nice locking system and are of good quality.
- ACCESSORIES: There does not seem to be much that one would need to buy separately other than the panniers and top case, because most required accessories are already fitted on to the stock bikes.
- SERVICE INTERVAL & WARRANTY: Post first service it has a 6000 km Service interval and a 5 year unlimited kilometre warranty. Given that Benelli has had a couple of false starts in this market, I see this as a big confidence boosting measure in the target customer base.
- TYRES: The 502 comes with Pirelli Angels and the 502X has Metzeler.
- Switchable ABS: Both bikes have switchable rear ABS. The switch placement is great, but at a place where you're not going to be able to switch it off accidentally.
- Fuel Tank: 20 litres! Even at it's worst, I reckon it'll give you at least 300 kms. which more than suffices for most.

The Bad
- WEIGHT: This is one heavy bike. It does not seem unmanageably heavy, but you'd want to remember this little fact in the back of your mind in tight spots.
- 502X TUBES: Lovely 19 inch spoke wheels but Tube tyres. :(
- 502X Seat Height: The 502 is a comfortable seat for me at 175 cms. But the 502X at approx. 15-20 mm more means that I am tip-toeing whenever stationary. Do keep the bike weight in perspective when digesting this.

To conclude, I would want to bring back the 600i test ride into the discussion. As before, I found the 600i too high strung for my tastes. The bike begs to be ridden at near it's red-line for you to have fun. In low to mid rpm's the bike is fairly linear but unexciting.
Now, I know that this is a 4 cyl. 600 and the TRK's are 500 dual, so the 'bore x stroke' ratios will be different with probably more torque on the lower end for the latter.
We all have concerns about the 47 ps on offer and how it suffices (or not) for a bike of the weight range of the TRK's. The problem will be further exacerbated if the low to mid range response of the bike is unexciting, akin to the 600i.
I don't expect these twins to be wicked fast, but I would like them to have decent torque levels in low and mid ranges and be able to cruise at 120-130 kmph at mid revs, leaving at least 3000 rpm for quick overtakes or the occasional fatigue-busting sprints. The initial proposition from Benelli looks mouth-watering and so is the price given it's overall build quality and stock spec, just that it has to have the Go. The pricing just shy of 6 lacs gets you a fabulously built motorcycle with good ergonomics, a lot of stock fittings and accessories, great range, decent service intervals, and outstanding warranty. Yes there are glitches, but none that is a deal breaker so far. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by roy_libran : 7th May 2019 at 09:28.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 11:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
We all have concerns about the 47 ps on offer and how it suffices (or not) for a bike of the weight range of the TRK's.........
Continuation....

Yesterday afternoon, me, my wife, and a friend who owns a ZX14R & Triumph Rocket arrived at Benelli for a test ride. I brought my friend along because he has extensive experience on bikes like the Daddy GS, Versys 1000 and Multistrada Enduro.
And we all took turns riding the TRK502. The 'X' variant isn't available for a test ride yet.

First my friend went for a spin and came back smiling.
Then me and my wife went together for a longish test ride, and I took the 502 through dense traffic, weaving through gullies, competing with all sorts of things on the road, then to an open highway where we could stretch legs, some broken sections and mild dry off-road - all in the 41 degrees Celsius of a Delhi afternoon!

Later we all sat in the customer lounge and exchanged notes. Here's a quick summary:
  1. Comfort - Supremely comfortable seating for both rider and pillion over any kind of surface. The X, as per internet reviews is a tad better, but the 502 itself is brilliant. The seats are just the right amount of supple and firm. My wife was happy as a plum too.
  2. Ergonomics - Pretty spot on with no strain anywhere or any unnatural angles. Overall a very relaxed posture that one can easily hold for hours at end. Same goes for the Pillion, although one has to climb up a bit because the bikes are tall.
  3. Handling in city - We were both very surprised to find that the 235 kg+ bike is adequately flickable and changes course without much bother. The suspension offers just the right level of support and there isn't significant pitching or yawing when braking or accelerating. Overall a very composed and mature ride. I was able to weave through city traffic with a pillion on this 235 kg behemoth. Flat-footing it wasn't a problem either for the meagre 174 cm me!
  4. Handling at speed - On the highway, riding 2-up, we were comfortable at up to 120 kmph. The bike was easy to switch lanes with, braking was acceptably good, and movements were well controlled. However, turning needs to be a bit more carefully done because the weight shows up on the turns. You can't be braking too late on this bike.
  5. Braking - Again acceptable level of bite under normal braking and even hard braking. I know these brakes may not be the best spec out there, but do a decent job of stopping the bike fairly quickly, despite the weight. A full set of brake pads will cost about 12000 bucks.
  6. Acceleration - This is where both me and my friend were initially sceptical but came away fairly surprised. Mind you he rides ferocious machines and he had rock-bottom expectations to start with. However, even he agreed that the linear nature of the motor along with the smooth gearbox makes the TRK a fairly competent motorcycle, either ridden singly or with pillion, upto about 120 kmph. The acceleration is linear, very controlled, but you don't feel any lag. My other ride is a RC390 which is a lot more manic, but I wouldn't be unhappy with the acceleration this bike offers, especially when I factor in the suspension and comfort. It is after 120 kmph that the vibes creep up to significant levels and the weight starts dragging the performance down. I wouldn't much enjoy riding this bike over the 130 mark.
  7. Vibration - As I said earlier, till about 120 kmph there is no significant vibration anywhere. After 120 the footpegs and the seat starts conveying the vibes and beyond 135 you are at irritating levels.
  8. Broken Road - Even the 502 handles broken roads and potholes with aplomb. My wife isn't much of a motorcycle person, but she also agreed that she hardly felt anything on the pillion seat. Control was acceptable as well even with the 17 inch wheels. I can only assume that the 502X with it's 19 inch wheels might be even better here.
  9. Off Road - We just did some mild dry offroading which involved going up and down some mud hillocks of around 80% gradient. The trail was quite rocky with loose mud. The suspension never bottomed out and we didn't feel any discomfort or control issues. Again I can only assume that the 502X shall be a lot better with the off-road oriented tyres, 19 inch wheels, longer travel suspension, greater GC etc.
OVERALL - We all agreed that Benelli is actually giving a LOT OF BIKE for the money. You get a bike that almost has the personality of a Multistrada, a lot of practically useful stuff, a solid build, and an acceptable engine for a relaxed tourer - did I mention that the gearbox is butter smooth?
True that there is also a lot of plastic on the bike, which might (will?) start to buzz or rattle, and that it isn't a machine that is much happy beyond 130 kmph.
So, apart from the weight and a bit of late vibrations, what is the problem? Well - the price I guess.

The 502 is 6.1 on road, and for someone looking for a road focussed tourer that is better than the Himalayan or Baby GS, this is a very good product offering and should definitely be in consideration. Just the comfort is going to blow you away, everything else is just icing on the cake.

But the 502X is 6.6 on road, and this is within striking distance of the 'lesser said the better' Versys 650. For a few grands more you get significantly more power (& cruisability), a much more refined motor, adjustable front forks, a yearly service interval, although you are losing out on the factory fitted accessories, the looks, spoke wheels, center stand and 5 yr. unlimited km warranty. Better service and lower depreciation of the Versys are also factors to keep in mind.
For most tourers then the Versys would remain a vastly better proposition than the 502X, but the 502 at 6.1 on road is quite a tempting motorcycle.

Guys - Don't just judge these two motorcyles based on internet reviews alone. Go and ride these; you WILL BE SURPRISED.

Last edited by roy_libran : 28th May 2019 at 11:33.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:02   #42
BHPian

Hi mods, is the official review of Benelli TRK 502 and 502X in progress? When can we expect it? Eagerly waiting for the in depth review.
Old 19th August 2019, 17:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Hi mods, is the official review of Benelli TRK 502 and 502X in progress? When can we expect it? Eagerly waiting for the in depth review.

Team BHP has hardly ever officially reviewed a motorcycle, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up. That being said, detailed views shared by team-bhpians too will help interested customers to decide.
Old 29th January 2021, 12:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Benelli has upgraded the TRK 502 to a BS6-compliant avatar, and it now gets:

- 47.5PS, 46Nm, 500cc twin-cylinder motor (same as before)
- New, more comfortable seats
- Revised ergos and graphics
- White and orange backlight for the instrument cluster.
- Reinforced aluminium-frame knuckle guards
- New handlebar grips
- Redesigned mirrors

With these changes, the TRK 502 has become more affordable by about Rs 30,000; now costs Rs 4.79 lakh (ex-showroom).

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20210129_120434.jpg

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20210129_121213.jpg

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20210129_121235.jpg

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20210129_121240.jpg

Benelli TRK 502X caught testing in India. Edit: Launched @ 5 lakhs-20210129_121417.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 12:31   #45
BHPian

More affordable? I did a double take. Surprised they managed to reduce the price while adding some new goodies as well. This puts a comfortable distance between this bike and the more powerful Versys as a highway tourer. But the ktm adventure 390 is surely a far more VFM option at a significantly lower price.

That said the TRK has some insane road presence which is a big plus for the Indian market and the slightly cheaper price sweetens the deal.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks