Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 13:42   #1
BHPian

Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs

The Speed Twin is the latest addition to the Bonneville family, and it uses the 1200 cc engine of the Thruxton R, with 96 HP on tap.

Quote:
The legendary Speed Twin is back, returning as the newest member of Triumph‘s 1200cc Bonneville lineup. The new 2019 Triumph Speed Twin slots into the line by combining the Thruxton‘s performance with the Bonneville T120‘s more comfortable riding position.

The original Speed Twin was introduced in 1938, helping establish the long tradition of British parallel-Twins, setting benchmarks with its lightweight chassis and an engine that out-powered the Singles of the era. The 2019 Triumph Speed Twin seeks to recapture the original’s glory as a modern, high-performance roadster.

The new Triumph Speed Twin is powered by the high-power version of the 1200cc 8-valve parallel-Twin Bonneville engine with similar tuning as the Thruxton R. For the Speed Twin, Triumph added a new magnesium cam cover, new mass-optimized engine covers and revised the clutch assembly. The result is a claimed 5.5-pound weight savings compared to the Thruxton engine. Triumph claims a peak output of 96 hp at 6750 rpm and 83 lb-ft of torque at 4950 rpm.
Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs-12041819802019triumphspeedtwindd2psfront34korosired.jpg

Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs-12041819892019triumphspeedtwindd2psrear34korosired.jpg

Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs-12041819942019triumphspeedtwindd2psrhskorosired.jpg

Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs-12041831972019triumphspeedtwin7j9a0175.jpg

Full specifications, and lots more hi-resolution pictures are available on the source link below.
Also, NDTV reports that it will be launched in India in mid-2019, with a price tag of around 10-11 lakhs.

Source

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 5th December 2018 at 13:48.
Joxster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 00:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs

I saw this the other day, I can't tell if I like it or not. I see it as a modern interpretation of the Bonneville, but somehow it doesn't strike a chord in me. I mean if I wanted modern, why wouldn't I get a Speed Triple? And if I wanted the classic British bike shape, why not a real Bonneville?

I had the same thoughts after riding an XSR. It rides great, its an excellent bike, but what is it trying to be? Or rather, what does it fulfill in me - the need for classic, or the need for sporty? Of course thats very subjective but to me it comes across as a bit of a "neither here nor there" vehicle.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 11th December 2018 at 00:21.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I saw this the other day, I can't tell if I like it or not. I see it as a modern interpretation of the Bonneville, but somehow it doesn't strike a chord in me. I mean if I wanted modern, why wouldn't I get a Speed Triple? And if I wanted the classic British bike shape, why not a real Bonneville?
You mean a Bonneville T120?
Old 31st December 2018, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Looks great to me atleast.

Neo Retro bikes are a real thing right now with almost all manufacturers placing their bets on this segment, for me the best looking bike in this category were the Z 900 RS and the New Thruxton, but it beats both of them hollow in the looks department .

Just wish the forks were USD though
Old 19th January 2019, 23:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Reviews -

ZigWheels -

NDTV carandbike -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 01:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

International reviews start pouring in now -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 15:51   #7
BHPian

Triumph Speed Twin launched in India at Rs 9.46 lakh ex-showroom Pan India!
It is 50k cheaper than Bonneville 120.

Source: http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/l...-india-launch/

Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs-edbe1a23dcf16e3923b353e6cb6354b41.jpeg
timuseravan is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 17:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

I really love this motorcycle, amongst all the options in the Classic Bike genre from Triumph and other manufacturers, I believe this one has it all.
1. Great looks
2. Decently powerful
3. Mod cons in terms of ABS, riding modes, etc
4. Superbly turned out clocks, to name a few.

It's a pity this bike is out of reach for a majority of aficionados.
OT: If I ever get the RE Interceptor 650, I'd try my best to make it look like the Speed Twin
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 19:09   #9
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed Twin unveiled. EDIT: Launched @ 9.46 lakhs

I had a 15 min test ride today on Speed Twin .

My very short review:
  1. The bike looks fantastic in person - even better than the photos.
  2. Everything screams quality. The fit and finish is excellent and entire bike is put together extremely well.
  3. The riding position is comfortable and yet sporty. You are slightly leaned over and foot pegs are slightly rearset. But overall I felt much more comfortable than the Street Twin or Street Scrambler. The seat is also nicely padded.
  4. I could not really test the suspension but it seems good enough.
  5. The gear shifts are super smooth. This despite the bike having just 150km on the ODO and being used for test rides the entire day.
  6. The engine is super torquey and smooth. However the sport mode feels jerky. Maybe it is the test bike or maybe needs better tuning.
  7. The only real con was the extreme heat. Offcourse it is around 40 degrees here but bike is going to be hard to ride in Indian summers.
The OTR is around ₹12 lakh for single color and and around ₹12.40 for twin color.
For anyone considering the Street, I would seriously recommend saving up the 2lakh more for Speed Twin. It is a far far superior bike.

Another point to note: Triumph no longer charges handling fees. However they now have "Documentation Charges" of ₹20k

Last edited by timuseravan : 28th April 2019 at 19:10.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 21:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I really love this motorcycle, amongst all the options in the Classic Bike genre from Triumph and other manufacturers, I believe this one has it all.
Person preference ofcourse, I will still pick the Kawasaki z900RS every single time over anything from the Triumph range of classics. If i want a bike that looks classic but goes like a bomb, this is where its at.
Old 28th April 2019, 22:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Person preference ofcourse, I will still pick the Kawasaki z900RS every single time over anything from the Triumph range of classics. If i want a bike that looks classic but goes like a bomb, this is where its at.
That bike was killed on arrival in India with that obscene senseless pricing
Old 28th April 2019, 22:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
That bike was killed on arrival in India with that obscene senseless pricing
I know. Doesn't take away the fact the the bike is just the epitome of brilliant.
Old 28th April 2019, 22:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know. Doesn't take away the fact the the bike is just the epitome of brilliant.
9.5L vs 15.7L ex-showroom. They arent even in same league for pricing. Besides you really should test ride the Speed twin once - i had a chance to ride the Thruxton once (same engine but heavier) and it goes like a locomotive on wheels. While Z900RS has more top end power - the torque in that 1200cc Triumph engine is quite something else.
Old 29th April 2019, 06:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The looks are good, but otherwise its the same Z900 in different clothing. Good bike in its own right, nothing outstanding. And surely, does not justify a 6 lakh premium on ex-showroom over its own sibling. Given a choice, it would be the speed twin for me anyday. Maybe its a Bonnie bias speaking for me
Old 29th November 2019, 12:25   #15
BHPian

I upgraded from a Street Twin after about 3 years of usage to the Speed Twin in September. I personally love the neo-retro genre of bikes. The Bonneville T120/T100s do not strike a chord with me basically because of the bling (Read Chrome).

My thoughts on the speed twin

PROS

1. Super nimble and light on its feet. It's about 2 kgs lighter than the street twin but somehow feels even lighter. I think it's to do with the handlebar which is wider giving it more leverage.
2. Oodles of torque - You can literally ride the wave of torque without needing to change the gears.
3. Fit and finish - Triumph has been doing a great job in this department and the speed twin is no exception.
4. Comfortable - Strikes a neat balance between the committed riding stance of the Thruxton and the laid back one on the Street twin. There is a slight lean but its really comfortable. My wife commented that the seat cushion is more comfortable than the street twin as well. I am not so sure about that since my bum is sort of numb by now.

CONS

1. Heats up more than the street twin. Not as comfortable to ride in the city wearing regular clothes.
2. Mileage - It's a function of how you ride but sport mode + trigger happy right hand can empty the tank in no time.
3. Snatchy throttle - It's not as bad as it was when I first rode it; I guess one gets used to it. I need to check with Triumph if there is a software update coming in sometime soon to address it.
motorotor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks