Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 22:33   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What do you understand by your superbike papers?

All those who own superbikes have come around the question of clean papers..just wanted to start this thread to get more advice on how to confirm that the papers are clean and details of bill of entry,also questions on how much duty is paid for your bike?
As for mine it shows a duty of 1.85L on it.And my registration book reads Kwacker 400 with gears (import vehicle) and so on.So those who have more information on this subject please help the others who are planning to jump onto the sbk bandwagon.
Old 27th January 2007, 19:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

I received an RC book, on which the Transfer of Residence number (under which the bike was brought down) was mentioned, all other vehicle details like, cc, colour etc were mentioned as well.

Alongwith the RC i have an original copy of the bill of entry which mentions the amount of duty paid, i have the shipping compnay's bill, and a few other import documents which i dont recall names. will look up the file and add to the list.
Very often dealers/brokers/owners will tell you that the original bill of entry was submitted to the rto at the time of registration, but in most probability the bike will be a gray market one.

From what i have been told, the concerned authority generates thgree nos. of the bill of entry, one stays with them, one goes to the rto for registartion and one stays with the vehicle papers. I might just be wrong here though, but prospective buyers could always chek this up.

And its not too difficult to get one made, but i even have an orginal Yamaha key unlike the gray market pieces whihc might have maruti, bajaj, tata, blank keys that i have come across.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 27th January 2007 at 19:41.
Old 27th January 2007, 22:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Ice Mari and Scarlet - can you help Nitroxx please ?
Old 28th January 2007, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Ice Mari and Scarlet - can you help Nitroxx please ?
I guess you missed "and other bhpians".
Old 29th January 2007, 10:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

99.9% of import bikes in India are brought down via the "transfer of residence" clause, wherein an Indian living abroad for a certain period of time is allowed to bring back the vehicle he was using over there for a reduced some of duty.

Under TOR rules, the vehicle cannot be sold for 2 years from the time of registering it in India. Hence, the first instance is to verify the age of the bike and ensure it is more than 2 years since it has been brought into the country. Remember, it doesn't matter how old the bike it, it is the date of registration in India that is considered.

The second unspoken rule to look out for is where the bike has been registered. It is widely accepted that bikes imported and registered in Mumbai proper (MH-01/02) are considered the cleanest imports. Bikes with MP and KA plates are to be looked at very very closely.

Different states and cities have different ways to register vehicles. For example, Mumbai issues a proper RC book which includes all details about the vehicle as well as the import document numbers, bill of entry details, bill of lading number, passport details of the original importer etc. Also, the RC book keeps a record of the number of buyers.

However, many buyers of SBK's do not register the bikes on their name. They simply hold onto the transfer papers and ride the bike for a few months before selling it on to someone else. Make it a point to try and buy a bike from a person who has transfered it on their name.

The RC book will also make note of the declared value of the bike, the duty paid and all taxes paid.

For older bikes i.e. above about 5-7 years old, that's all you really need to worry about, as these bikes are now too old for the officials to really bother about. Also, chances are the bike's have already been through the system a few times between owners, so any problems would/should have come to light earlier.

I have bought, transfered to my name, and gone on to get an NOC from the RTO for an out of state sale on an Old Suzuki I had with no problems at all from the Mumbai Central RTO, all with the above mentioned paperwork.

Also, I bought my current bike, got it transfered to my name with no problems, again at the Mumbai Central RTO.

The MAIN thing to watch out for are bikes that are imported as parts, then assembled here. You will find that the RC book data would never correspond to the bike's data, such as engine/chassis numbers, make of the bike etc.
Old 29th January 2007, 23:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

RT: the last bit of the details being the same is very possible, even the BAGGAGE bikes i came across had the correct details (colour, cc, imported vehicle, etc) of the bike on the RC, so i guess they keypoint is the Passport details of the NRI, corresponding bill of entry number being mentioned on the RC book.

manson.
Old 4th February 2007, 12:05   #7
BHPian

so how long do i have to own the bike before i can import it under the TOR?
what wud be the duty on it? 20-30 %? and who decides the value of the import bike-the value on which the duty will be applied!?
Old 4th February 2007, 13:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

yikes!!!!!....confusing stuff..even if someone want to go in for one..he would have to think twice because of all these taxes,duty,registration and stuff...
Old 29th October 2007, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
so how long do i have to own the bike before i can import it under the TOR?
what wud be the duty on it? 20-30 %? and who decides the value of the import bike-the value on which the duty will be applied!?
You have to keep it for minimum one yr and pay duty in the range of 110%. No clue how they value the vehicle.
Old 30th October 2007, 14:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Under TOR rules, the vehicle cannot be sold for 2 years from the time of registering it in India. Hence, the first instance is to verify the age of the bike and ensure it is more than 2 years since it has been brought into the country. Remember, it doesn't matter how old the bike it, it is the date of registration in India that is considered.
So any bike bought down in 06 and 07 cant be bought by anyone else. And all the bikes that are 2007 made are illegal (unless it was imported as a single piece and not assembled here)? I have this query as I have seen quite a few "SBK dealers" selling 2007 bikes with 0 kms on the odo. Does that mean I cannot have a 2007 bike legally unless I import it by paying the complete duty?

Last edited by HellwratH : 30th October 2007 at 14:19.
Old 30th October 2007, 14:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you can legally import a bike at all. All the new bikes are shown as old Bikes & are brought in as TR.

@RTech: correct me if I am wrong
Old 30th October 2007, 15:10   #12
BHPian

If you donot own it for a year. TR rules donot apply. You need to get an import license permission to do it, and the bike cannot be more than 3 years old. You can bring in a new bike under TR, but no concessions...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks