Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 17:07   #1
BHPian

Used Triumph Street Triple 675 - Buying advice?

Hi guys, I have a query on buying a used Striple 675

(1) How much do you think is a good price for a very well maintained used Jan 2016, Striple with about 7500 kms on the odo, with an arrow exhaust and a 2nd owner?

(2) Are there any serious service / parts related concerns that could make this buy go very sour?

Some quick responses could be very helpful as the bike in question may not be available for long.

I am not comfortable with the 765 because of its taller seat height, so please advice me on this 675 alone. Thanks in advance.
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 17:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Used Triumph Street Triple 675 - Buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
Hi guys, I have a query on buying a used Striple 675
Your best bet will be the local Triumph dealer or an independent dealer like

http://nsone.in

Triumph dealers will always be aware of the guys who want to upgrade/ move to a different segment and sometimes can even be cheaper than buying directly as they earn money from sales on the new bikes.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 17:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is absolutely no way for anyone to determine if you will have any problem with your prospective purchase down the line without taking it for a ride and visual inspection.
The engine is mostly solid. Issues have been seen with the rectifier and the rear suspension has been known to lose damping over time. Then there was that engine stuttering issue I am aware about. My point being , I can list other issues but then there is such a list for every bike available for sale in the market.
So caveat emptor!

Last edited by bigron : 17th May 2019 at 17:41.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 18:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

2 owners within 3 years?

You should get the vehicle at max 50% of the value. You wont be able to dispose the bike when you would like as you will be the 3rd owner.
Old 17th May 2019, 18:51   #5
BHPian

Spare parts or servicing shouldn't be an issue. But, you need to find why the average age per owner is less than 2years. It seems very odd to me.
mpp19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 18:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(1) How much do you think is a good price for a very well maintained used Jan 2016, Striple with about 7500 kms on the odo, with an arrow exhaust and a 2nd owner?

(2) Are there any serious service / parts related concerns that could make this buy go very sour?
1- 2016 bike you should be able to seal the deal at 5.25-6 depending on luck.

2- Mumbai service is very decent and parts as usual for most of these imported bikes means there will be delays for other major repairs than regular service. But street is pretty decent machine and reliable. Only issue is the stalling, which also can be taken care if you do throttle body clean up and balancing at about 5k kms.

Also check with service centre for the history.
Old 17th May 2019, 19:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

2- Mumbai service is very decent and parts as usual for most of these imported bikes means there will be delays for other major repairs than regular service. But street is pretty decent machine and reliable. Only issue is the stalling, which also can be taken care if you do throttle body clean up and balancing at about 5k kms.

Sorry new to this place, haven't read the whole thread, how does throttle body cleaning solve stalling? Doesn't ring any technical bells right away.
Is there a stalling problem in this motorbike?
Old 17th May 2019, 20:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Thabks for this Jaggu. Yhe is actually very well maintained, the owner has completed the 3 year (Rs. 26k) service, has 2 year insurance, etc. So he is unwilling to budge from a 6+ Lakh price despite being a 2nd owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
Spare parts or servicing shouldn't be an issue. But, you need to find why the average age per owner is less than 2years. It seems very odd to me.
The current owner claims that the first owner was a close friend and sold it to him with-in tje first year of purchase at 1500 kms becuase he was moving abroad. Plausible! But wants 6+ lakhs for it which is what is making me think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
2 owners within 3 years?

You should get the vehicle at max 50% of the value. You wont be able to dispose the bike when you would like as you will be the 3rd owner.
I definitely have this at the back of my head. But the owner is refusing to budge. Some conundrum, this!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th May 2019 at 20:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 17th May 2019, 20:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I definitely have this at the back of my head. But the owner is refusing to budge. Some conundrum, this!
If you are paying top buck, expect a top buck vehicle. A second owner vehicle may be well maintained, but will give you a 10 percent hit atleast when you try to sell it.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka panwar View Post
Sorry new to this place, haven't read the whole thread, how does throttle body cleaning solve stalling? Doesn't ring any technical bells right away.
Is there a stalling problem in this motorbike?
This is an issue with all Street Tripple 675, basically it needs frequent air filter cleaning due to the bad air quality we have in India. Dust accumulates and idle setting gets messed up, since the idler mechanism is not able to keep the minimal idle. Way around is to fit a manual controller and fix the issue for ever. Triumph themselves had made change to the maintenance schedule and use to offer new owner 2 years free air filter change and clean up. They even had an upgraded map, but not sure if it fixed the issue. I was running a different set up and had not faced the issue.

Quote:
Thabks for this Jaggu. Yhe is actually very well maintained, the owner has completed the 3 year (Rs. 26k) service, has 2 year insurance, etc. So he is unwilling to budge from a 6+ Lakh price despite being a 2nd owner!
Yes price is slightly higher. but this bike is definitely a hoot for city and occasional highway blasts. I would have retained if I had the money, one of the most rider oriented bike ever and am a huge fan even now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2019 at 12:24.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 15:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
This is an issue with all Street Tripple 675, basically it needs frequent air filter cleaning due to the bad air quality we have in India. Dust accumulates and idle setting gets messed up, since the idler mechanism is not able to keep the minimal idle. Way around is to fit a manual controller and fix the issue for ever. Triumph themselves had made change to the maintenance schedule and use to offer new owner 2 years free air filter change and clean up. They even had an upgraded map, but not sure if it fixed the issue. I was running a different set up and had not faced the issue.

Yes price is slightly higher. but this bike is definitely a hoot for city and occasional highway blasts. I would have retained if I had the money, one of the most rider oriented bike ever and am a huge fan even now.
Hello , thank you for the update on idle issue.
But dont you think with that amount of repeated dust accumulation into airfilter that it messes with idle settings (idle-when engine needs least quantity of air and fuel as it is on no load / lowest rpm) ,how will that engine behave normally at high rpm and high throttles.

Also it would throw in DTC code p0506 . IAC valve is servo motor controlled with travel of around 10mm ,it can constantly update itself using various sensor data inputs from ecu, it shouldn't be affected by simple dust accumulation.

May be they are doing something else to the bike in shadows of cleaning airfilter ,or possible they don't even know whats wrong and that's how the problem reoccurs after a while.
Old 20th May 2019, 11:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Triumph Street Triple 675 - Buying advice?

Quote:
Hello , thank you for the update on idle issue.
But dont you think with that amount of repeated dust accumulation into airfilter that it messes with idle settings (idle-when engine needs least quantity of air and fuel as it is on no load / lowest rpm) ,how will that engine behave normally at high rpm and high throttles.
No issues at higher rpm, when you go off the throttle the idle controller is supposed to kick in and keep the RPM above 800-1000 range. This sometimes does not happen.

Quote:
Also it would throw in DTC code p0506
Nope no error code was registered as far as I know.

Quote:
IAC valve is servo motor controlled with travel of around 10mm ,it can constantly update itself using various sensor data inputs from ecu, it shouldn't be affected by simple dust accumulation.
Yes the controller is unable the move the butterfly valve to keep the idle up when the gunk gets in.

Quote:
May be they are doing something else to the bike in shadows of cleaning airfilter ,or possible they don't even know whats wrong and that's how the problem reoccurs after a while.
I have witnessed the job at workshop, it is regular throttle body clean up. Then balancing using software and a cycle of adaptation.
Old 20th May 2019, 11:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

@handfull - The street triple is a superb bike, I had a chance to test drive it a few years ago. Was blown away by the handling, it is simply too nimble.
Just out of curiosity, is this bike with a dealer called bulletraja? Was browsing the classifieds on OLX and came across a similar bike.
He's also got a Z900 at 8.5L.
Old 20th May 2019, 17:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
No issues at higher rpm, when you go off the throttle the idle controller is supposed to kick in and keep the RPM above 800-1000 range.

I have witnessed the job at workshop, it is regular throttle body clean up. Then balancing using software and a cycle of adaptation.
Ah there it is. A soft reset ! Resets the map to factory settings - deletes the learned corrections ( that's all factory workshops are allowed to do on pollution controlled vehicles officially, their software does not allow any major changes to vehicle apart from idle rpm setting in some manufacturers) .
The vehicle will take some time to again learn , when it again applies learned values ,the problem would be popping up again. Else if there was no error code , why would work guys need to do absolutely anything on a laptop . Just clean and get it over with.
IAC values are also amongst things that are gradually learned ,along with fuel trim and spark timing.
1 Wrong value in any of the tables belonging to fuel injection , spark timing or IAC valve steps can cause such problem.
Old 20th May 2019, 18:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah there it is. A soft reset !
Error codes would be registered and seen before reset right?

Quote:
The vehicle will take some time to again learn , when it again applies learned values ,the problem would be popping up again. Else if there was no error code , why would work guys need to do absolutely anything on a laptop . Just clean and get it over with.
I can assure you there were no error codes recorded, i.e when the laptop is connected and checked. This was quite a puzzle to owners and technicians. Finally Triumph UK intervened and an India specific map was introduced.

Quote:
IAC values are also amongst things that are gradually learned ,along with fuel trim and spark timing.
1 Wrong value in any of the tables belonging to fuel injection , spark timing or IAC valve steps can cause such problem.
Agreed, for this Triumph had introduced an India specific map, as mentioned above, which many users went for. But unfortunately the issue was not fully resolved, is what I understand from the user groups.

Another angle is, this is specific to Indian bikes and stalling has never been registered (in such a big scale at least) in other countries. Again from the info we see on Triumph international forums. Which again points to dustier environment we have in India, as per Triumph reps. One more point to consider is, there were lesser issues reported for folks who use their bike only for weekend rides, which generally makes it less dirtier, being open highways and less of dusty city conditions.

Finally, (if I remember correct) the solution provided by Triumph officially was:

- update to india specific map
- free replacement of air filter, every 5k kms for 2 years. Usual service interval for Triumph bikes otherwise is 10k kms or every year.
- free throttle body clean up and balancing while replacing filters.

Now as far as finding solution from independent outfits goes, the new regulations that gave newer bikes from Europe a mandatory lock code made it very difficult to work on the ECU maps.

Edit- Just remembered there was a thread here by one of the owners lol Maybe we should continue there.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2019 at 18:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks