Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 19:55   #31
BHPian

Re: 2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Yep, the Yoshi would be ideal. Suzuki USA even sells bikes with the Yoshi out-of-the-box. I'm as yet undecided on the exhaust and it so happens that I am out of Vitamin M as well - but we know that one cannot have a high revving Suzuki and resist the temptation to add a slip-on. So let's see.

I happened to hear the note of the SC Project on a bike in-person but it seemed to be too loud/raw for my taste. Yet to hear a Yoshi Alpha T in person, but from what I can make out with the YouTube videos, it sounds lovely.

PS: I am a fan of your GSX-R1000 thread and that amazing bike. It's amazing to read about all the goodies that you are adding to the machine!
Suzuki globally has some really good deals. I don't know why do they not extend these benefits here?

SC projects are loud, unless you want to be the attention, i'd ask you to stay away. In my personal opinion it's unnecessary accessory for the street.
Check Arrows as well. They have some really goo exhaust options too.

Glad you like the thread. I need to stop on the "goodies" bit
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:15   #32
BHPian

Thanks for such a nice review, I wanted to read through a review like this for a long time. I like the attention to detail about the aspects. This definitely helped me make up my mind, as I am also considering Suzuki GSX-S750 just like you. Thank You for this review.
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:58   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on your bike! Happy and Safe Riding!!!
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 11:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
We are in the same boat my friend, Just picked up a brand new Z900 and i am not a biker per se. It was a dream to own one and i finally bought it.
Congratulations, trumpcard! Z900 is a fantastic machine and your bike looks amazing. Hope you are having fun riding it. Is the colour scheme new for this year? I don't recollect having come across a Z900 with red alloys.

Please do write about your purchase experience and the bike. I'm as surprised as Crazy Driver was with the lack of even a single review of the Z900 on the forum. It is the most powerful bike in the sub-10 lac segment and deserves the attention to detail that only a written-review can provide. No amount of YouTube videos can satiate the heart like a nicely worded article does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
PS- Adding a few pics with no intentions of hijacking your thread
Please feel free. What good is a review thread if it doesn't start a conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Red is common, blue looks good - but neither schemes feel unique as your white and blue combo does!
Yep. Suzuki Motorcycles India deserves a pat on the back for having thought 'differently' to launch the bike in this colour - as opposed to the safe choices like red and blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Suzuki globally has some really good deals. I don't know why do they not extend these benefits here?

SC projects are loud, unless you want to be the attention, i'd ask you to stay away. In my personal opinion it's unnecessary accessory for the street.
Check Arrows as well. They have some really goo exhaust options too.

Glad you like the thread. I need to stop on the "goodies" bit
Yeah, aftermarket exhausts are available at such affordable rates in the US. I'm so not comfortable with paying 60k for a 523$ Yoshimura Alpha T Works Street. Charging 60k for what is essentially a 36k product in the US is just daylight robbery.

Please don't stop with the goodies. We need to continue drooling over them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
This definitely helped me make up my mind, as I am also considering Suzuki GSX-S750 just like you. Thank You for this review.
Hey, Sunsh!nes. Glad to know that you liked the thread. Do share which bike you're going ahead with and if possible, do write about your experience. Riding a premium motorcycle is about dreams coming true, more than anything else. Wishing you all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
Congratulations on your bike! Happy and Safe Riding!!!
Thanks!

Last edited by GoBlue : 27th June 2019 at 12:09.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, aftermarket exhausts are available at such affordable rates in the US. I'm so not comfortable with paying 60k for a 523$ Yoshimura Alpha T Works Street. Charging 60k for what is essentially a 36k product in the US is just daylight robbery.
Hey i would urge you to check with Bikegear.in, Mr Gupta - 9024901313. He's based in Rajasthan and have always bought everything for my motorcycle from him. He's pretty competitive with his pricing compared to other vendors here. You can give him my reference, Rahul from Bombay with the Suzuki.

The other option is Ultimate Auto Impex. They are the official dealers for Yoshimura in India. Tushar is the guy there. They have presence on FB, i seemed to have lost the number.

Hope this helps!!
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 15:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

GoBlue - do you want to do a quick ride on Saturday morning (Sunday doesn't work) if it doesn't rain? Maybe Lonavala for breakfast and back? I ride the bike you didn't test ride! �� And i would love to see your bike. PM me if it works for you.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 19:39   #37
Mik
BHPian

Congratulations!
I got one in March end (The Red one as I have this thing that gaddi toh laal hoti hai )
Do keep updating the thread so that the lazy bones like me get inspired and start modding/accessorizing the bike ;-)
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 11:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hey i would urge you to check with Bikegear.in, Mr Gupta - 9024901313...

...Hope this helps!!
Thanks a lot, Odeen12!

Got a reasonable deal and have placed the order for the Yoshi.

Will update when I receive the exhaust and get it installed. Thinking of getting the installation done from Slipstream, Pune. Could you please share the reference and number of the person to connect with? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
PM me if it works for you.
Have PM'ed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Congratulations!
I got one in March end (The Red one as I have this thing that gaddi toh laal hoti hai )
Do keep updating the thread so that the lazy bones like me get inspired and start modding/accessorizing the bike ;-)
Congrats to you too, Mik!

I think there are 4 of us S750 owners on the forum that I know of.

Please do share some pics of your ride for our viewing pleasure. How has your experience been so far?
GoBlue is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 11:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Odeen12!

Will update when I receive the exhaust and get it installed. Thinking of getting the installation done from Slipstream, Pune. Could you please share the reference and number of the person to connect with? Thanks!
Kunal Bhaskaran - 9881341144
Area: Viman Nagar
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 14:51   #40
BHPian

1st Service Report

The first service period was 1 month / 1000 km. As I had completed only 500 km after getting delivery, the 1st service was done after completion of 1 month, on 25th May, 2019.

The first service included an oil change / oil filter change.

The service cost was 6666. I had installed a lowering link accessory on the bike for which 1K INR was charged. Total cost came out to be 7666.

The service was done okay, and nothing out of the ordinary to report. Except that the oil used for the service was Motul 300v 15W50 whereas the user manual recommends 10W40. The user manual does mention that if 10W40 is not available, 15W50 may be used.

I came to know about this after the service, and upon checking with the dealer was informed that all the Suzuki super-bikes in Pune are being filled with 15W50. The reason given for preferring 15W50 over 10W40 was that as Pune climate is hot, with summer temperatures being 43-45 degrees, 15W50 is a better option. I would request the engine oil experts on the forum to share their opinion on this subject.

The next service would be at 6000 km / 6 months.

Accessories Installed

The following accessories have been installed on the bike so far:
1. Puig Frame sliders
2. Puig Front and Rear Axle sliders.
3. Evotech Radiator Guard
4. Voigt 30mm bar riser
5. Prospec Easy Clutch
6. Lowering links (lowers seat height from 820 mm to 780mm)

Accessories planned:
1. Yoshimura Alpha T Slip-on Exhaust
2. Puig Touring Windscreen
3. Denali D4 LED kit

I had got lowering links from Lust Racing (UK), which reduced the seat height by a solid 40mm. Before I could rejoice that I was finally able to flatfoot when on the bike, came a realization that this had affected the handling of the bike, and not in a good way. I was on a morning ride to Lonavla after the bike was lowered, and on a sharp right turn when I tried to get the bike to lean, it wouldn't dip in! It was a scary and terrible feeling at that moment when the bike just continued to go straight and toward the edge of the road. When I tried to course correct by applying the front brake it seemed to get even worse, probably as I was trying to turn and press the front brake at the same time! I then applied the rear brake after which the rear wheel slid sideways left and right about 4-5 times in continuous succession. And then finally the bike became controllable and slowed down enough to be able to navigate the turn.
This led me to realize that the lowering links had changed the weight distribution of the chassis and the bike's geometry had changed for the worse. Although I always knew that the links would affect the handling, I had no idea it would have this significant an impact. The very next weekend, went to the Suzuki workshop and reverted to the stock OEM links. Relieved to report that the handling characteristics in corners are back to normal. A very important lesson learnt that lowering links are a strict no-no for the GSX S750.

I have been informed that installation of the Easy Clutch and Yoshimura exhaust would result in the manufacturer warranty (2 years) being void. Upon asking more about this I was told that installation of any aftermarket part which affects the functionality of the motorcycle would result in the warranty being void. Protective aftermarket parts like frame/axle sliders etc. are okay.

I am not too worried about this as the warranty period itself is just 2 years and Suzuki does not offer extended warranty, unlike other brands (Honda, BMW etc).

Also, the Easy Clutch device is a must for this bike because from my perspective, the cable operated clutch-lever is too hard for use in traffic conditions. The highways in and around Pune city are choked with B2B traffic on weekdays as well as weekends and using the clutch lever in such conditions was causing intense pain in the palm/thumb area of the left hand.
The Easy Clutch has resulted in about 40% reduction in the clutch lever effort and it has become very light/smooth to operate. This improvement is worth more than losing sleep over not having 2 years of warranty.
As for the exhaust, I find it illogical that installing the Yoshimura Alpha T should void the warranty. Suzuki USA allows customers to option the Yoshimura Alpha T when placing an order for the bike.
Is this the same for other manufacturers - do Honda, Triumph, BMW and Ducati have a similar policy when it comes to warranty? Request owners to shed light on this aspect.

Ride report - experience with the bike so far

It has been 2.5 months of ownership, with the bike having been ridden for about 900 km. When I took delivery of the bike, it was peak summer season in Pune, followed by heavy rains. This has resulted in the rides being short and not as frequent as I would have liked.

However with each passing day I am getting more and more comfortable with the handling and power delivery of the 749cc Inline 4 engine. Have ridden in 2nd and 3rd gear at 10k RPM and I must say, the bike feels like a wild beast in that RPM range. The speeds at 10k in 2nd/3rd were simply unmentionable. It felt like was this the same bike when ridden below 6K RPM? I am in love with this character of the motorcycle and looking forward to explore the higher end of the RPM range in 4th/5th gear after the rainy season gets over and the roads remain dry. As of now I feel like I am able to utilize only 15%-20% of the engine's power.

In the meantime, getting the bike some much needed goodies and looking forward to the riding season with eager anticipation.

Concluding the post with some pictures to sum-up the ownership experience so far:

During a city ride.
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190622_184937988.jpg

Beautiful landscapes during the monsoons.
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190624_122649_920.jpg

Smooth empty roads.
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190624_094248183.jpg

All the gear, all the time..
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190629_134805748_hdr.jpg

A rather dirty bike after a city ride during heavy rain..
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190629_134945432_hdr.jpg

I'm lucky to have a washing place close to home..
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190630_202011259.jpg

Almost therapeutic to watch the bike getting washed..
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190630_202146037-1.jpg

As clean as a motorcycle can be..
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190630_202821903.jpg

During a group ride to Lonavla..
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190526_091356937_hdr.jpg

Last edited by GoBlue : 7th July 2019 at 14:58.
GoBlue is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 19:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Lowering the bike will almost always change the handling of the bike. There are a few combinations.
Normally, if you are a corner craver and are almost scrapping the pegs while cornering at stock height, lowering links are not for you.
Secondly, to ensure that the steering angle is not off, if you lower the rear, than you must slightly lower the front also.
If you only lower the rear, the bike would want to 'stand up' every time you take a corner with some speed and lean angle.
If you just lower the front, the front end might feel unstable during a corner but will turn better.
So you ll have to play with the amount of length that works for both the front and the rear.
Then there are combinations with pulling up the forks up front through the tripe clamp.
I recommend a custom seat from corbin/new image. It will lower the height since it is thinner compared to stock and would help in feet touching flat on the ground if that is what you looking to do.

A slip on will do nothing to your bike to void warranty. All it does is save weight and make some noise. Your service center is talking crap. Dealers in Delhi themselves install slip ons and simply charge for labor . Confront the service center on this.

Last edited by bigron : 7th July 2019 at 19:14.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 09:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
1st Service Report

The service was done okay, and nothing out of the ordinary to report. Except that the oil used for the service was Motul 300v 15W50 whereas the user manual recommends 10W40. The user manual does mention that if 10W40 is not available, 15W50 may be used.

I came to know about this after the service, and upon checking with the dealer was informed that all the Suzuki super-bikes in Pune are being filled with 15W50. The reason given for preferring 15W50 over 10W40 was that as Pune climate is hot, with summer temperatures being 43-45 degrees, 15W50 is a better option. I would request the engine oil experts on the forum to share their opinion on this subject.

It has been 2.5 months of ownership, with the bike having been ridden for about 900 km. When I took delivery of the bike, it was peak summer season in Pune, followed by heavy rains. This has resulted in the rides being short and not as frequent as I would have liked.
I am in love with this character of the motorcycle and looking forward to explore the higher end of the RPM range in 4th/5th gear after the rainy season gets over and the roads remain dry. As of now I feel like I am able to utilize only 15%-20% of the engine's power.
Ha ha I am not an engine oil expert, but let me share my thoughts about the engine oil. Most of the owner manuals suggest the default grade as 10W40. It must also be noted that all those owner manuals (not all, but some) recommend this default one for moderate/pleasant climatic conditions ONLY. The same owner manuals suggest to use higher grade engine oil if the ambient temperature is around 40 degree Celsius. I guess even GSX-750 owner manual must have given a chart on what oil grade to use based on the ambient temperature. You check the manual once again just to confirm on this. Even other wise, nothing wrong in having higher grade engine oil considering the traffic conditions in the cities/towns.

Considering our road conditions, touching 10K RPM in 4th/5th gear will be too risky (in my opinion ). Not saying one should not try that, but it must be done with lot of things/precautions (like road conditions, etc.,) taking into account. Hope you understand my point of view coming from a rider of average riding skill. The best is to test those limits on the tracks. Having said that, there is nothing to feel bad about using only 10% to 20% of the motorcycle power. In fact most of the riders end up doing that for safety reasons.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 10:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Except that the oil used for the service was Motul 300v 15W50 whereas the user manual recommends 10W40. The user manual does mention that if 10W40 is not available, 15W50 may be used.
I have a VStrom 650 which is a completely different engine so it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I was given the same logic but I did not buy it. The VStrom comes in factory filled with the Suzuki Ecstar 10w40. That wasn't readily available so I got the Amsoil SAE Synthetic Metric 10w40 and used that for the first service.

Again we have completely different bikes but I have ridden it through traffic jams in very hot temperatures with absolutely no issues. I'd rather believe what is written in the manual.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 12:00   #44
BHPian

It's absolutely rubbish when someone says a slip on will void warranty. That too, Yoshimura. Suzuki and Yoshi's have a long standing partnership. Like i have said this in the past, Suzuki service or their dealers know jack!!

Curious that now the warranty isn't void when the dealer suggests a different grade of oil, than what's stated in the manual?

A 15W-50 should be ok in the summers considering the slightly higher viscosity than a 40.
In the rains and winter i'd adhere to 10W-40.
A heavier oil means it will take longer to flow at cooler temps. Cold starts etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 20:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
A slip on will do nothing to your bike to void warranty. All it does is save weight and make some noise. Your service center is talking crap. Dealers in Delhi themselves install slip ons and simply charge for labor . Confront the service center on this.
Quote:
It's absolutely rubbish when someone says a slip on will void warranty. That too, Yoshimura. Suzuki and Yoshi's have a long standing partnership. Like i have said this in the past, Suzuki service or their dealers know jack!!*
Thanks for the inputs, guys.

The dealer is quoting this clause present in the warranty manual that any aftermarket parts which affect the functionality of the bike would void the warranty. Quoting from the warranty section -

"Warranty is not applicable to - Use of non-genuine parts (or) accessories not approved by SMIPL which affects the performance and reliability of the motorcycle"

To be fair to the dealer, they are bound by the policy defined by SMIPL (Suzuki Motorcycles India Pvt Ltd) and I can understand where they are coming from.

However, it's Suzuki, India that needs to have a reasonable position on this front which all dealers across the country can follow uniformly.

I'm checking if I can connect with somebody from SMIPL's management. If anyone has any contacts, please PM me. I'd be grateful.

The relevant section of the warranty manual for reference.
2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190708_093806570.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Ha ha I am not an engine oil expert, but let me share my thoughts about the engine oil. Most of the owner manuals suggest the default grade as 10W40. It must also be noted that all those owner manuals (not all, but some) recommend this default one for moderate/pleasant climatic conditions ONLY. The same owner manuals suggest to use higher grade engine oil if the ambient temperature is around 40 degree Celsius. I guess even GSX-750 owner manual must have given a chart on what oil grade to use based on the ambient temperature. You check the manual once again just to confirm on this. Even other wise, nothing wrong in having higher grade engine oil considering the traffic conditions in the cities/towns.
Quote:
Curious that now the warranty isn't void when the dealer suggests a different grade of oil, than what's stated in the manual?

A 15W-50 should be ok in the summers considering the slightly higher viscosity than a 40.
In the rains and winter i'd adhere to 10W-40.
A heavier oil means it will take longer to flow at cooler temps. Cold starts etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I have a VStrom 650 which is a completely different engine so it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I was given the same logic but I did not buy it. The VStrom comes in factory filled with the Suzuki Ecstar 10w40. That wasn't readily available so I got the Amsoil SAE Synthetic Metric 10w40 and used that for the first service.

Again we have completely different bikes but I have ridden it through traffic jams in very hot temperatures with absolutely no issues. I'd rather believe what is written in the manual.
Thank you all for your inputs. Please allow me to quote all of you together.

As shan_ned has mentioned, please find attached a snapshot of the oil recommendation section of the S750's user manual. It does mention 15W50 along with other combinations. The dealer's choice to fill 15W50 does seem to be as per the ambient temperature chart. If I am missing something, please let me know.

I must mention that the dealer has been fair enough to suggest that 10W40 may be filled during the next service so that I could check the difference. The next service would be done in October '19 and would be right before the winter season starts, so could be the right juncture to fill 10W40 as well as Odeen12 has mentioned.

I will check if I can feel any difference between both oil grades, however as per the dealer it could be very minor and easily missed. As mentioned by ranjitnair77, perhaps 10W40 itself may suffice throughout the year.

2019 Suzuki GSX-S750 : Ownership Review-img_20190709_193409154-1.jpg

Quote:
Considering our road conditions, touching 10K RPM in 4th/5th gear will be too risky (in my opinion ). Not saying one should not try that, but it must be done with lot of things/precautions (like road conditions, etc.,) taking into account. Hope you understand my point of view coming from a rider of average riding skill. The best is to test those limits on the tracks.
You are absolutely right. However to clarify, I meant exploring the higher end of the RPM range in 4th/5th - from 6k to 7k - as I am currently riding around 5k. The performance at 10k could be explosive and I definitely do not have the marbles to try that on public roads.

Quote:
Having said that, there is nothing to feel bad about using only 10% to 20% of the motorcycle power. In fact most of the riders end up doing that for safety reasons.
Totally, nothing to feel bad at all. Makes me wonder how a litre-class I4 would feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Lowering the bike will almost always change the handling of the bike. There are a few combinations...
I recommend a custom seat from corbin/new image. It will lower the height since it is thinner compared to stock and would help in feet touching flat on the ground if that is what you looking to do.
Yes, sir. Lesson learnt the hard way.

Thanks for the inputs. You are right, I simply want more of the sole to make contact with the earth, without sacrificing on the handling front. I did check out both corbin and new image. Also thinking of shaving some foam off the stock seat, but then that could void the warranty.

Last edited by GoBlue : 9th July 2019 at 21:06.

Most Viewed