Team-BHP - 2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/215304-2020-aprilia-rs-660-unveiled.html)

What a looker, Can a bike look better then this!

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-2020apriliars6603.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-2020apriliars6605.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-2020apriliars6606.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-2020apriliars6609.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-2020apriliars6602.jpg

Quote:

Created around a totally new technical base, defined by the 660 parallel twin, Aprilia promise a new generation of lightweight, high-performance bikes that are sophisticated in design.

A return to the mid-sized engine, supported by the electronics and technology of the Aprilia Racing department.

The first born in this brand-new generation of Aprilia bikes is RS 660.

The light-is-right concept is behind the RS 660 project and can be summed up by its excellent weight/power ratio that makes for enjoyable riding, whether relaxed or more sports-orientated: 169 kg plus 100 HP is what Aprilia sees as the perfect formula for enjoyment on the road.
Link

I've spent all night last night tossing, turning and dreaming about this bike. I spent most of the day today scouring the interwebs for more information and pictures. If it rides well, It's one of those bikes that I'm always going hanker after.

Honestly I am just a little bit disappointed. The chassis and swing-arm looked MUCH better on last years concept version. Perhaps it was because of the shiny metallic look they had making it look just as special as the RSV4. This muted silver finish and the plastic pieces along the body work looks a bit cheap to be honest. Hope the quality is better in final production units as this is one bike that I am eager to test as the itch to upgrade from my RC390 has finally begun.

Somewhere between all the excitement from day 1 of the EICMA show that had

- the return of the sharpened Blade, potentially back to the top of the litre class throne
- the anti-climatic Adventure 390 that left most enthusiasts puzzled as to how KTM could have misread what they wanted
- the new Z900 that looks nicer than before and is so much more well equipped
- the F900 twins from BMW that people want to know more about
- the awfully ugly Ducati DesertX Concept and garishly coloured Supermoto that were unforgettable for all the wrong reasons

Aprilia launched the RS 660 and though it got lost in the shuffle, I couldnt be happier. The Triumph Daytona 765 strategy seems to quite a bit of a hit and miss with only the limited edition versions going on sale now with the regular version coming in later. Most of the other 600s are old bikes that are periodically updated, the ZX6R is some breath of fresh air in the segment. The Aprilia bring a much needed dose of excitement and steals the thunder from the Daytona 765 that was supposed to be the big dog in this niche segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4688479)
The Aprilia bring a much needed dose of excitement and steals the thunder from the Daytona 765 that was supposed to be the big dog in this niche segment.

In indian market context the biggest problem i see with Aprilia(if they get it to india) is the cost and after sales service, triumph is pretty well established. If both the bikes have to go head on head, or let's say the new RS, triumph might still emerge as the leader.

Also as you pointed above, watch out for the new Z900, if kawasaki does not get too greedy, and let's say price it agressively, it is going to bring in a lot of numbers.

Don't find the Aprilia exceptional in terms of design, but it is a good looking motorcycle nevertheless.

The good news is that some confidence seems to be returning to the middle-weight sports segment. The Kawasaki and the ageing Yamaha seemed to be the only dying options left in the segment - but Aprilia and Triumph will hopefully rekindle failing customer interests.

There is also the more practical Tuono 660 unveiled along with the RS 660, although as a concept (Looks production-ready though! :D)

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-apriliatuono660concept.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-apriliatuono660concept-2.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-apriliatuono660concept-1.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-apriliatuono660concept-3.jpg

169 kgs and 100hp..yikes! That's like 2 and1/2 rc390s crammed into the space of one!! But 14 big ones..Are they having a laugh?

Looks decent in my opinion. I personally like how the new CBR 650 looks vs this. The Aprilia should be fast thanks to that amazing 100bhp for 169 kilos and will have some really good electronic suite in there. I am assuming they will price this stupidly high plus their after sales and service in India is pretty skeleton which doesnt help matters. I for one am hoping against hope that they keep this sub-10 lacs and let it fight it out with the CBR650, Z900 and the ZX6R. That should make for some interesting fireworks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheK (Post 4688493)
In indian market context the biggest problem i see with Aprilia(if they get it to india) is the cost and after sales service, triumph is pretty well established. If both the bikes have to go head on head, or let's say the new RS, triumph might still emerge as the leader.

Also as you pointed above, watch out for the new Z900, if kawasaki does not get too greedy, and let's say price it agressively, it is going to bring in a lot of numbers.

In terms of direct fully faired rivals in India, the RS 660 (if launched) will only compete head on with the Kawasaki ZX6R. Schumi from PowerDrift has confirmed (on their new EICMA video featuring the limited edition Daytona 765) that Triumph has said there will be no standard version of the Daytona 765 platform. :Frustrati

If we bring in naked middleweight motorcycles, yes there are a lot of options but if and when the new Tuono 660 gets launched, it should be a good alternative for Indian buyers. Yes, it might lose a few horses to the other bikes but let's see how the numbers on paper translate to the on road experience.

While we are discussing the Indian context - don't forget the fact that its a parallel twin. :D

Aprillia finds it mega difficult to sell RSV4 & Tuono .. and you think this beauty has a chance to get buyers in India. :D

With ZX-10R pricing - middle class bikes dont stand a chance unless they come via CKD route which is beyond Aprillia.

What a gorgeous motorcycle! Really wish Aprilia bring this to India - this can be a potent do-it-all machine.
For those worried about service/support - I have an Aprilia and a Triumph and I get my Aprilia parts atleast twice as fast as my Triumph parts. The only glitch is to find a reliable garage you can trust with part replacements and for those of us in cities like Bangalore, there are plenty of options. Aprilia does fly down technicians for service as well if you're picky about it.

I am not too convinced about the looks of this bike. The styling looks too busy, with a lot happening, combine this with the paint scheme and it becomes an eye sore. Compare this to the likes of the Ducati panigale and the Daytona- clean, sharp looking bikes. I guess looks are subjective and I can totally get how some people would like the bike.

To add to this its a twin cylinder when the competitions are 3 and 4 cylinder powerbanks.
Also, even if this comes to India, it will be priced silly enough to put it out of contention, other than for the die hard Aprilia fan boys ofcourse.

Cheerio!:)

Aprilia RS 660 middleweight supersport motorcycle appears to be ready to go into production.It was spotted testing on the road in Italy, alongside a CBR650R.

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-smartselect_20200505192151_chrome.jpg

2020 Aprilia RS 660 unveiled-smartselect_20200505192406_chrome.jpg

Source : Autocar India