Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 19:02   #1
BHPian

Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched

Mod Note: BHPian iamahunter's Kawasaki Versys 650 Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The 2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 is launched in India with just INR 10,000/- premium over BS4 version. It gets a new colour (Candy Lime Green) along with sportier graphics. It looses on the digital display with Bluetooth connectivity that the new Ninja 650 and Z650 BS6 get but it is still one of the most capable all-rounders out there in the middle weight category. It has lost 3 PS power in the transition from BS4 (69 PS) to BS6 (66 PS) as per Rushlane report. The torque figure remains the same at 61 Nm at 7000rpm

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...n-india/39412/
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched-temp.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched-2021kawasakiversys650.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 29th March 2022 at 10:59. Reason: Adding link to ownership review
camitesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 19:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched

Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched-versyscolor.jpg

Zero updates other than BS6 compliance and the new colour scheme. Those halogen headlamps, especially, looks extremely outdated now.

That said - the bike is old now and the next generation may be under development internationally, so nothing much can be expected till then. I'd rather pick one used now - since there are many such good condition bikes in the used market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 19:11   #3
BHPian

From the official Kawasaki site (LINK)

Highlights of the new MY21 Versys 650 are:

649cc parallel twin engine (Cleaner Emissions)
Large volume fuel tank (21Litres)
Inverted front fork
Petal brake discs
Adjustable windscreen
Wide handlebar
Offset laydown single-shock with remote preload adjuster
17” wheels
Sharp sporty styling
Gear Indicator

In my opinion, it has to be the laziest upgrade ever considering the other 650 models got considerable visual, design and performance changes. They ought to be kidding when boasting about "wide handlebar", "Gear indicator" and "sharp sporty styling" as highlights. As CrazyDriver mentioned - best to pick up a used one (if in the market for a Versys) else, it's 'game set match' to the Suzuki Vstrom in this category!

Last edited by TheVaas : 11th August 2020 at 19:14. Reason: Corrected the formatting.
TheVaas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:48   #4
BHPian

I don't really care about the lack of the TFT screen as the old console had almost everything you would want and it was very reliable. But come on halogen lights should have gone out in 2017. Having them on a 9 lakh bike in 2020 is plain stupid. Shocking that Kawasaki were so slack on a bike that actually sells in decent numbers.

Since even the US model lacks the new features I guess Kawasaki India had their hand tied. So it looks like Kawasaki themselves were sleeping on this which is very strange considering how popular the Versys is around the world.
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 08:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
I . So it looks like Kawasaki themselves were sleeping on this which is very strange considering how popular the Versys is around the world.
Was popular. This bike is being taken to the dhobi by bikes like the 790 adventure as well as the Tenere 700. The Versys is an almost end of life cycle product, expect something that combines the KLR and the Versys to come out in 2021/22. Something that takes on the T700. That is afterall the hottest market at the moment.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:40   #6
BHPian

Agreed it's an outdated nearly end of life cycle product but it is still a great option at the price point IMHO. There was already close to INR 1 lakh of difference between Versys 650 and Vstrom 650 in their BS4 avatars (without considering the crazy Kawasaki discounts which we see often as compared to Suzuki) and the price difference can only be reasonably expected to increase once the Vstrom launches. Unless Suzuki also decides to go the Kawasaki way and change nothing but engine dynamics to meet BS6 norms.

Like some one said here, the only real problem i was expecting Kawasaki to fix was the Headlights (can be fixed with aftermarket options as most owners do) and not cut down the power or increase the weight drastically. And Kawasaki disappointed in most of these areas. True, Kawasaki globally have been lazy with this one which kind of points a major update is due soon in 2021-22. But in the meanwhile, they wouldn't want to be without a mid-segment affordable adventure bike in their portfolio when this is one of the most interesting segment off lately. Hence I feel this is just a stop gap arrangement to keep the Versys brand name floating around and continue churning decent profits on an old product while they're at it.

Kawasaki Versys 650 in its BS6 version claims to do nothing better than its BS4 counterpart However, it still is the excellent and comfortable highway tourer for two with bullet proof reliability and decent Kawasaki after sales service to back with. For someone looking at new Ninja 650 BS6 for touring purpose, I'd rather suggest new Versys 650 with a price gap now much less at ~50k ex showroom unless that someone is really a fan of that gorgeous TFT instrument panel and LED headlights (call me old school but I'm not). All in all, the sales should speak for itself. Let's wait and watch.
camitesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Kawasaki is offering a limited time ₹30,000 discount on Versys 650. With the latest discount, the price for the Versys 650 BS 6 has come down to Rs 6.49 lakh from Rs 6.79 lakh.

The latest discount is being offered in the form of a voucher which can be used to either get free accessories or a direct cash discount of ₹30,000. Also, what's to be noted is that the discount voucher is available only till November 30, or till the existing stock lasts.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...187714929.html
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 23:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kawasaki is offering a limited time ₹30,000 discount on Versys 650. With the latest discount, the price for the Versys 650 BS 6 has come down to Rs 6.49 lakh from Rs 6.79 lakh
Nice, I like the Kawasaki vouchers since they are usable against bike cost and not just accessories. Possibly this is just beginning of the usual Kawasaki discounts as we near the year end and the voucher values may eventually go up. Last year the Kawasaki vouchers around year end on Versys 650 was exactly double this. Cross posting this picture from new superbike price thread for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched-screenshot_20191201135213_downloader-instagram.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 02:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Nice, I like the Kawasaki vouchers since they are usable against bike cost and not just accessories...Last year the Kawasaki vouchers around year end on Versys 650 was exactly double this.
Well I don't know how this voucher system works in other cities, but in Mumbai it was for OTR price and not ex-showroom (which is what IKM posters usually mention). Anzen clearly told me that the 65k discount was on OTR and not ex-showroom. The OTR included things like PPF coating, riding jacket and frame sliders (aka accessories) - which when one deducted was the entire voucher price

The Thane dealership also told me the discount is on OTR but they didn't have such 'exotic add-ons' like PPF coating etc. hence their pricing was lesser than Anzen. Also, they were offering the discount voucher either on the bike or on accessories or a cash back type of scheme. At the end of the day, I guess it's upto the dealership to figure how they want to 'cash' in on the vouchers.
TheVaas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Was popular. This bike is being taken to the dhobi by bikes like the 790 adventure as well as the Tenere 700. The Versys is an almost end of life cycle product, expect something that combines the KLR and the Versys to come out in 2021/22. Something that takes on the T700. That is afterall the hottest market at the moment.
Possible reveal on 23rd Nov among the new Kawa lineup (teasers showed a couple of bikes with suggestive cues). That said, the new V1000 was recently showcased and hardly has any difference from the outgoing model so I do have my reservations if the V650 will get replaced/axed. The new Tenere class product may just exist parallel to the Versys lineup.

Last edited by narula123 : 22nd October 2020 at 12:12.
Old 13th November 2020, 00:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys - I believe this is the 3rd refresh / facelift since Versys was launched in 2016 or so? What has changed in these versions?

If someone picks a 2016 model (pre-owned) Vs a 2020 model, what will the 2016 version lack (or gain)?
Old 13th November 2020, 01:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If someone picks a 2016 model (pre-owned) Vs a 2020 model, what will the 2016 version lack (or gain)?
2016 version will lack 'Gear shift indicator' and 'newer decal/stickers' but will have more power/torque figures as compared to the 2020 BS6 version. Rest all specs remain the same for both
TheVaas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 02:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'd rather pick one used now - since there are many such good condition bikes in the used market.
Where is this used market you speak off?
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
There's a versys India whatsapp group. You can request crazy driver to send you leads directly from owners out there. He is a part of the group. Good luck
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 09:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Olx has listings too. From what I understand, you'll need to have contacts in some bike /riding groups to know abt any availability of the machine.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks