Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 17:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Trident Design Prototype Unveiled

Triumph Motorcycles has revived the Trident name from its history, and which will be the most affordable and accessible Triumph motorcycle in the brand's current roadster line up.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171514_chrome.jpg

Triumph Trident production model will be unveiled in early 2021, engine expected to be 650 cc, inline three-cylinder.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171624_chrome.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171539_chrome.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171555_chrome.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171612_chrome.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171636_chrome.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200825171645_chrome.jpg

Quote:
The Triumph Trident will have an all-new steel main frame, as against the aluminium frame of the Triumph Street Triple models. The engine architecture will be derived from the Daytona 675, but Triumph says the engine has been developed completely from scratch, and will get some new components.

"The Trident design prototype marks the beginning of an exciting new chapter for Triumph, where the brief was all about fun, from the look to the ride. With its pure minimalist form, clean lines, Triumph design DNA and more than a hint of our Speed Triple's muscular poise, this gives the first exciting glimpse at the full Trident story to come. Ultimately our aim was to bring a new take on character and style, alongside the easy handling and quality Triumph is known for - at a price that's really competitive," said Steve Sargent, Chief Product Officer, Triumph Motorcycles
https://www.carandbike.com/news/triu...veiled-2284988
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 17:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Trident Design Prototype Unveiled

Is this something that can be produced in India using their partnership with Bajaj? But being a triple, I doubt if it would still be 'affordable' by our standards. Looks refreshing, except for that 'namesake' pillion seat
Old 25th August 2020, 18:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster

Triumph has revealed a design prototype of its upcoming Trident middleweight roadster at the London Design Museum.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-1.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-2.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-3.jpg

The Trident design prototype comes as a result of a 4-year development programme conducted at Triumph’s design facility in the UK. The Trident has been conceived and developed by the company’s design team at Hinckley with inputs from Rodolfo Frascoli - a Triumph fan who also had a hand in the design of the Tiger 900.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-4.jpg

The Trident features a new frame and the design prototype incorporates Triumph’s design DNA, with tank knee indents and cues from the Speed Triple. It has an upright riding position.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-5.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-6.jpg

The roadster will be powered by a triple cylinder engine. It will make its debut in 2021.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-7.jpg

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-8.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2020 at 18:19.
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 21:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Is this something that can be produced in India using their partnership with Bajaj? But being a triple, I doubt if it would still be 'affordable' by our standards. Looks refreshing, except for that 'namesake' pillion seat
Nope, this is not with the partnership with Bajaj, but yeah they could utilize the chakan plant and give Indians a cheap inline-3, which Triumph is definitely not going to do . Those with the Bajaj partnership will be sub 600cc bikes, and definitely not a triple.
Also it looks like the painter forgot the masking tapes.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 25th August 2020 at 21:40.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 23:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster

Looks like Triumph just blueprinted the 2014-2018 CB650F chassis and decided to chuck their engine into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-images-2.jpeg  

Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 07:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Nope, this is not with the partnership with Bajaj, but yeah they could utilize the chakan plant and give Indians a cheap inline-3, which Triumph is definitely not going to do . Those with the Bajaj partnership will be sub 600cc bikes, and definitely not a triple.
Also it looks like the painter forgot the masking tapes.
Hey who says it has to be cheap?! If I can get a 400 CC Triple with good equipment that revs to say 18K RPM, I'd be prepared to shell out 5-6L Ex Show room, hell maybe even a bit more. I'm eagerly waiting for the ZX25R. I'd definitely buy smaller capacity pocket rockets if I had the spare cash.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 07:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hey who says it has to be cheap?! If I can get a 400 CC Triple with good equipment that revs to say 18K RPM, I'd be prepared to shell out 5-6L Ex Show room, hell maybe even a bit more. I'm eagerly waiting for the ZX25R. I'd definitely buy smaller capacity pocket rockets if I had the spare cash.
The whole point of Triumph's Bajaj alliance was to make cheaper Triumph's if you did not know that already. The ZX25R is merely a second faster in 0-100 timings compared to the old CBR250RR(new one has more power and a quickshifter) and the Ninja 250 and just 2 seconds faster than the single cylinder Ninja 250SL (Source:https://www.iwanbanaran.com/2020/07/...akan-terkejut/), slower than a duke 390 and with a top speed of under 200kph and you want to shell out 6L ex-showroom or more for that. Well I say, good luck.

On topic, Triumph Trident nameplate revival and Indian launch would make it the cheapest triple on sale in India. I think it will slot right between the Z650(5.94L ex-showroom) and the Z900(7.99L ex-showroom). Hope a super sport with the same engine comes alive in the future.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 26th August 2020 at 08:06.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 08:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The whole point of Triumph's Bajaj alliance was to make cheaper Triumph's if you did not know that already.
I did know that, specifically it was to ensure that Triumph and Bajaj could both benefit from the astronomical sales of premium, low priced Classic style bikes in this country and elsewhere. Who syas it needs to stay in that domain though?

Quote:
The ZX25R is merely a second faster in 0-100 timings compared to the old CBR250RR(new one has more power and a quickshifter) and the Ninja 250 and just

2 seconds faster than the single cylinder Ninja 250SL
Slower than a duke 390
top speed of under 200kph and you want to shell out 6L ex-showroom or more for that.
Well I say, good luck.
It's not always about speed and mental acceleration. I'd like to be able to rev the pistons of a bike without breaking the sound barrier. Perhaps this though process is niche, but I'm sure there are several of us. Small capacity premium bikes with Proper Showa, Brembo, Striple RS build quality and fun little engines have a market.

Quote:
On topic, Triumph Trident nameplate revival and Indian launch would make it the cheapest triple on sale in India, whether you like it or not. I think it will slot right between the Z650(5.94L ex-showroom) and the Z900(7.99L ex-showroom). Hope a super sport with the same engine comes alive in the future.
I love it, I really hope it comes to India. Anything which gives enthusiasts options is most welcome by me. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this shapes up.

Last edited by imp! : 26th August 2020 at 08:20.
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 10:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I for one am very excited by this news of the new Triumph. For a few years now, Triumph has appeared to be a company in a state of stagnation and seemed to have lacked energy. There was nothing really new and exciting coming out of their stables (more of same old, same old) and the lack of a proper full fledged, easily available Daytona has really backfired on them.

And now, out of the blue, here is something that is more mainstream from Triumph and it should bring in good volumes for them. I dont think it will be a 650 though, the Triumph folks mentioned that it will compete with the 650s in the market. Something tells me that it will be the old 675 engine being pulled back in duty but with a lower state of power (dont want to bring back bad memories here ) of around 75 to 80 HP.

The combination of the easy seating position, wide pillion seat (needs to come with grab handles though), neo retro styling that I found a little BMWish and a low price should bode very well for Triumph. A quick glance over at the UK company websites shows that the Honda CB650R sells fof GBP 7,100 whereas the Triumph Street Triple S sells for GBP 10,500. If Triumph is able to bring in the Trident at around 70-75% of the pricing of the Street Triple S, it could do very well in India where their pricing is not perceived to be value for money.
neil.jericho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Lovely! I think honestly, Triumph doesn't need to focus on the 675 segment. IMHO if they focused on the 300 to 500 middle weight segment, striple or twin segment which is where most manufacturers extract the best shareholder return, I think Triumph will definitely have an arrow at their disposal.

This coupled with the EMEA markets, and the hearsay Bajaj collaboration, if all these bode in well, we can eventually see these bikes manufactured here and it can in fact be another KTM Bajaj demolition derby, which I would love to see.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 16th September 2020, 20:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Trident is expected to head towards the Indian market sometime in early 2021, expected by February/March.

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-smartselect_20200916202415_chrome.jpg

Quote:
The Trident will 'most likely' be placed as the entry-level product in the company's portfolio which will help Triumph to appeal to a larger set of audience and compete with rivals including the Kawasaki Z650. "We are looking at placing this motorcycle as the lowest priced product in our range," Shoeb Farooq, Business Head for Triumph Motorcycles India, told HT Auto. "Right now at around 7.45 lakh is where the Street Twin starts, so somewhere over there or slightly lower is what we are thinking about it. But specifically in terms of pricing we will have a better clarity by October or November. But we will be aggressive and give it a good entry price point.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...245209424.html
Old 17th September 2020, 00:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The comments from Triumph India on the pricing front do make for interesting reading given that the Trident is entering a very price conscious segment. A lot of potential buyers will be upgrading from say a CBR250 or a Ninja 300 etc and what I have seen is that many buyers in this segment go for finance options. The Z650's ex showroom price in India is Rs 5.94L. The Triumph Street Twin is a world away Rs 7.45L ex showroom. The Trident cannot succeed if Triumph decides to stick to the old script and be greedy while planning for a Rs 7L+ ex showroom price.

To me, Triumph has to get the pricing in the mid Rs 6L price range (ex showroom) for it to be a clear cut winner. Bear in mind that it is likely just going to be a Euro 5 version of the tried and tested 675 platform so there arent going to be too many R&D costs associated with the Trident. If it goes in the mid Rs 6L range, then it will be substantially differentiated in price and performance from the bigger 765 Triples to make all of them stand strong on their own merits.

A Rs 6.5L ex showroom price would make the Trident 73.5% of the current Street Triple R's ex showroom price of Rs 8.84L. In other words, you roughly will have to pay a third more of the Trident to get the 765 Triple R. That seems like sensible pricing to me and should drive a lot of buyers to Triumph showrooms while also stealing a lot of the sales from the Kawasaki dealerships.

However, all this I fear may be wishful thinking. A tiger (no pun intended) cannot change it's stripes and I strongly suspect that Triumph India will err on the side of over enthusiasm, and price the Trident at Rs 6.99L ex showroom as the introductory price.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 10:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

If I were in Triumph India strategy, looking to price Trident - I'd consider 5.99 as killer price for the bike. It'll serve as clear entry point to the brand, without compromising on what one expects from a Triumph bike. We've seen that premium customers have much higher percentage to upgrade within the brand than price conscious ones. So, it makes for good long term strategy as well.

At max, 6.49 so there is clear gap between Trident and Street Twin (even though they are very different bikes). 6.99 will make me stretch, and get the Street Triple instead, which defeats the entire purpose of this bike. I think the purpose is to have clear entry poi timro Triumph brand and not parallel option to Street Twin.

Well also have to wait for the global pricing, which I also expect to be competitive. Let's wait and watch! When is the global launch?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th September 2020 at 10:26.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
If I were in Triumph India strategy, looking to price Trident - I'd consider 5.99 as killer price for the bike. It'll serve as clear entry point to the brand, without compromising on what one expects from a Triumph bike. We've seen that premium customers have much higher percentage to upgrade within the brand than price conscious ones. So, it makes for good long term strategy as well.

At max, 6.49 so there is clear gap between Trident and Street Twin (even though they are very different bikes). 6.99 will make me stretch, and get the Street Triple instead, which defeats the entire purpose of this bike. I think the purpose is to have clear entry poi timro Triumph brand and not parallel option to Street Twin.

Well also have to wait for the global pricing, which I also expect to be competitive. Let's wait and watch! When is the global launch?
6l will be really pushing it for Triumph. Highly doubt it will undercut something like the Z650 which is a very simple bike with telescopic suspension setup, no riding modes and very limited electronic aids. I think 7l ex showroom is definitely more in line with what Triumph will charge considering even the very simple Street Twin is 7.5l in India.
Old 29th September 2020, 20:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Trident pre-production prototype ready for testing

Triumph reveals design prototype of upcoming Trident Roadster-20200929_202347.jpg

https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...566816258?s=19

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks