Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 16:32   #1
BHPian

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle

The French manufacturer had in July announced their all electric motorcycle christened the Wattman, coming in streamliner and production cruiser variants.

The production version comes with a liquid-cooled permanent magnet motor. It delivers 150kW of peak power between 7500rpm and 10,500rpm and 200Nm of peak torque between 0rpm and 6000rpm. It claims to accelerate from 0-100kmph in 3.4 seconds and has a top speed of 170kmph. It gets electronic rider aids like multiple ride modes, traction control and ABS. The road going Wattman gets a 12.8kWh lithium-ion battery pack that offers a range of 180km. Voxan claims the battery pack can charge up to 80 per cent in under 30 minutes using a level-two fast charger. It can also be charged using a conventional home socket.

The streamliner is a tad more exciting. It has the same Mercedes-Benz EQ permanent magnet motor as the Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team. This motor has been tweaked to produce 270kW of power, linked to the rear wheel via a direct-drive transmission with a timing belt. The 15.9kWh battery pack alone weighs 140kg of the 336kg of the total weight of the motorcycle. The bike gets a dual swingarm up front, linked to a central shock absorber and an offset handlebar. For the best possible performance, the 17-inch wheels are shod with Michelin Power RS+ tyres on both ends.

The Wattman achieved an average top speed of 366.94 km/h, making it the fastest electric motorcycle in the world. This record was previously held by Mobitec EV-02A that achieved a top speed of 329 km/h. In one of the runs it reached 408 km/h shattering the record of the H2R's 400km/h, piloted by Turkish rider Kenan Sofuoglu. A total of

records were set by the motorcycle, piloted by former MotoGP rider Max Biaggi.

Commenting on the historic achievement, Max Biaggi said, “When Gildo Pastor, President of the Venturi Group, approached me about this project, I was curious, very motivated, and at the same time a little uncertain. Having said that, right after our first meeting, I quickly realised that, like Gildo, his teams were driven by an incredible belief and determination. They told me 'we came close to 600 km / h (373 mph) on four wheels, and now we want to flirt with 400 km / h (249 mph) on two wheels, nothing's going to stop us!' These records make me a happy man! I'm proud of the team and delighted to bring these titles back to Monaco! ”.

Voxan intends to achieve and average speed of 400km/h by the end of 2022.

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-photo20201102171723retouche769e.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-voxan_2952.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-voxan_4424.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-voxan_2124.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-voxan_2541.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-screenshot-20201118-162735.png

Disclaimer: Images and their copyright belong to their respective owners (Venturi most likely).

Sources:
adwaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 22:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle

It is really nice to see the French company Voxan brand make a return to public attention, though it is in a most unexpected way. It was in the late 90s that I read about them in Auto India for the first time, Alan Cathcart was probably the author of the review. To my recollection, Voxan was trying to replicate the Triumph business model of having different bikes with the same platforms. They were nicely styled and different enough from the rest of the pack, it is a real shame that they never really clicked and went mainstream.

Here is a good link if anyone wants to read up on the company and its launches. Voxan - Oddbike.com

Some pics of their bikes over the years, courtesy the interwebs. As a young kid at that time, I really loved the half faired Cafe Racer model.

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-voxancaferacer04.jpg
Cafe Racer model

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-330673080_2fb5eb2446.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-8907352.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-unnamed.jpg
Street Scrambler model

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-1image.jpg

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-dz0704.jpg
Boxer VB1 model

The Voxan Wattman is the world's fastest electric motorcycle-dz0703.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed