Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 20:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle

Here are some other pictures. The parts have only the base colour on. The silver base coat.
Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle-basecoat1.jpg

This my firtst attempt to get the smoke put on and correcting it.
Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle-trial.jpg

Here the base goat is done and ready for the clear coat. As I was doing the clear coat, a dragon fly got stuck on the side. I had to carefully sand down that side and fill and touch up with silver. These parts are at home and had to be transported to the club 50 km away for painting.
Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle-basecoat.jpg

My fairing and seat cowl is ready for pinstriping
Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle-pinstriping.jpg

An old BMW dealer in the US gave me the recipe for the original smoke colour. In the Netherlands Teo Terwell specialized in restoring BMW motorcycles. He used only a black smoke and was over the moon when I told him I had the original green smoke recipe for the paint. He mixed the paint for me for the recipe. This transparent colour is adjusted by the number of layers.
Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle-teo.jpg

My old and new instruments. The old one in that state can still be rebuilt. I have kept all the old parts. This was the first bike with a cockpit.
Restoring my 1974 BMW R90S 900cc Motorcycle-speedo.jpgoat.
Indian2003 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 10:59   #17
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful to see this restoration and the initiative of taking up the painting yourself. The fade of black into silver is impressive. I believe you would have had to train you hand to follow the curves of the tank with the tank serving up as the only practice piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
There is a limit of 30 pictures and even then while writing captions and previewing, they turned to attachments. I have hundreds of pictures. I will try to post some of them here.
I type in the text first, then upload the pics and then insert them wherever they go in the text. Keeping them uploaded for long makes the link go away and it turns into the attachment you mention.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 17:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Wonderful to see this restoration and the initiative of taking up the painting yourself. The fade of black into silver is impressive. I believe you would have had to train you hand to follow the curves of the tank with the tank serving up as the only practice piece?
I did my tank first but i practiced the shading on a piece of cardboard. I did this just before I painted the tank. The rest of the parts were much easier as I moved from the tank to the fairing and the tail with the same mix of colours.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks