Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 12:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Scrambler Steve McQueen & Sandstorm launched in India

Triumph has launched two new special editions of the Scrambler, called the Steve McQueen and Sandstorm. The Street Scrambler 900 Sandstorm is priced at Rs. 9.65 lakh and the Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen costs Rs. 13.75 lakh (ex-showroom).

Street Scrambler Sandstorm:

Triumph Scrambler Steve McQueen & Sandstorm launched in India-triumph-street-scrambler-sand-storm.jpg

This limited edition bike celebrates the Triumph Scrambler desert rides from El Mirage to the Mojave, to Barstow and the Baja peninsula. It features a more rugged look and a special paint scheme - Matt Storm Grey with Ironstone accents on the tank and Matt Storm Grey high-level front mudguard. The bike also comes with accessories like LED tail light and number plate light, heavy-duty aluminium sump guard, headlight grille and rubber knee pads on the tank as standard.

The Street Scrambler Sandstorm is powered by a 900cc, twin-cylinder engine that develops 64 BHP and 80 Nm.

Only 775 Street Scrambler Sandstorm limited editions will be built worldwide.

Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen:

Triumph Scrambler Steve McQueen & Sandstorm launched in India-triumph-scrambler1200-stevemcqueen.jpg

This limited edition model celebrates one of the most famous movie stars of all time. The bike gets unique Steve McQueen branding on the tank and handlebar clamp, Competition Green custom paint scheme and a brown bench seat with stitched ribbing.

The Steve McQueen Edition comes with engine protection dresser bars and a laser-cut and pressed aluminium radiator guard with laser etched Triumph branding. The bike is pre-enabled for the MyTriumph connectivity system.

The bike also comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by Triumph CEO Nick Bloor and Chad McQueen - son of Steve McQueen.

The bike is powered by a 1200cc, parallel-twin engine that puts out 89 BHP @ 7,250 rpm and 110 Nm @ 4,500 rpm. The engine features a low inertia crank and a high compression cylinder head, along with a dedicated tune, specifically developed for this bike.

Production of the Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen is limited to 1,000 units.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 00:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler Steve McQueen & Sandstorm launched in India

I am surprised that nobody is talking about the sky high pricing of these variants. As such the scramblers were low selling models for Triumph India and at these prices, they will have a really tough time selling whatever stocks were brought to India.

Here are the ex showroom prices for comparison
Base Triumph Street Scrambler - Rs 8,55,000
Street Scrambler Sandstorm - Rs 9,65,000

Base Scrambler 1200 XC - Rs 10,73,000
Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen - Rs 13,75,000

Triumph seems to be taking lessons on pricing from the Big Wing Honda playbook!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am surprised that nobody is talking about the sky high pricing of these variants. As such the scramblers were low selling models for Triumph India and at these prices, they will have a really tough time selling whatever stocks were brought to India.

Here are the ex showroom prices for comparison
Base Triumph Street Scrambler - Rs 8,55,000
Street Scrambler Sandstorm - Rs 9,65,000

Base Scrambler 1200 XC - Rs 10,73,000
Scrambler 1200 Steve McQueen - Rs 13,75,000

Triumph seems to be taking lessons on pricing from the Big Wing Honda playbook!
I guess nobody is talking about them because very few people in India are interested in Scramblers to begin with

But yes the prices are a shocking jump up from what they used to be. I guess this is the BS6 effect and has been making everything feel like a ripoff lately.

Are you sure you are not comparing the BS4 prices with the new release prices? I don't think Triumph launched the standard Street Scrambler or Scrambler 1200 recently with BS6 pricing.
imranstael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 10:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am surprised that nobody is talking about the sky high pricing of these variants.
Tell me about it. First Ducati and now Triumph. Why are these manufacturers hiking prices by a few lacs just for the BS4 - BS6 conversion. What rocket science was needed for this conversion to justify the price hike?

Its already a very limited market for the scrambler and Triumph will kill any demand with this price hike.

There was a sweet olive green Street Scrambler on sale at NS One Delhi last year. I told my friend about that bike and his response was "only 64 hp". I am sure he will be regretting it now.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 11:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
But yes the prices are a shocking jump up from what they used to be. I guess this is the BS6 effect and has been making everything feel like a ripoff lately.

Are you sure you are not comparing the BS4 prices with the new release prices? I don't think Triumph launched the standard Street Scrambler or Scrambler 1200 recently with BS6 pricing.
Agree on the pricing front. To be honest, Triumph India has so many bikes on sale that I wasnt sure if they released the BS6 version or not. So I checked their website and pulled the pricing from there. I am going with the assumption that they arent listing BS4 bikes on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Its already a very limited market for the scrambler and Triumph will kill any demand with this price hike.
I will be surprised if Triumph India manages to sell at least 10 of these special edition bikes. In total.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 11:10   #6
BHPian

@ Neil,

In the words of Snoop Dogg - "Church brotha"

I saw a grand total of 2 Triumph Scramblers in Delhi. Both were put up for sale at NS One (used bike shop). Just goes to show how miserable the sales were for the BS4 model.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 16:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

What is the use case for buying a scrambler? I mean, unless you are really living on a coffee plantation kind of setting. My Electra 350 with a knobby rear tyre was scrambler enough to go all of Ladakh, Spiti, Sach and so much of Konkan hinterland back at the start of Y2K. I broke a few things (stay, pegs, bent gear lever, turn signals....) and still came back home riding. Fixing all that and some messed up electricals cost a measly 5k. Can you do that with these machines? They can be a joy to ride, but can you truly be so carefree as to derive that joy out of them? Especially when you get a new one at this mind-boggling price and know that on each fall, every part is going to cost you your purse and a long wait. Not me!

No one wonder people are lapping up the Impulse and praying for slightly more power in the future. That's good enough for most of us! And then there are the advs....

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd May 2021 at 06:06. Reason: Typos, spacing
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 19:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
What is the use case for buying a scrambler? I mean, unless you are really living on a coffee plantation kind of setting. My Electra 350 with a knobby rear tyre was scrambler enough to go all of Ladakh, Spiti, Sach and so much of Konkan hinterland back at the start of Y2K. I broke a few things (stay, pegs, bent gear lever, turn signals....) and still came back home riding. Fixing all that and some messed up electricals cost a measly 5k. Can you do that with these machines? They can be a joy to ride, but can you truly be so carefree as to derive that joy out of them? Especially when you get a new one at this mind-boggling price and know that on each fall, every part is going to cost you your purse and a long wait. Not me!

No one wonder people are lapping up the Impulse and praying for slightly more power in the future. That's good enough for most of us! And then there are the advs....
The simple answer: They are fun bikes!

Motorcycles in this category aren't bought for utility or necessity. I'm sure you had fun on your Electra350 with knobbies (which is essentially what a scrambler is).

Scramblers are classic bikes that are fun on road, fun offroad and look good doing it. Are they the most capable in either domain? Far from it. But people aren't looking for pure utility or capability all the time. Classic/Retro motorcycles wouldn't exist at all if that were the case!

As for whether one can be carefree or derive joy from riding one of these, considering the cost of repairs, well that is just a factor of how much money the rider has or can afford to spend on repairs.
You may think spending "a measly 5k" to fix your Electra is no problem, but there is a huge segment of our population that would consider 5k prohibitively expensive to spend on a leisure activity.

And just like that, there is a smaller but still considerable segment that wouldn't mind spending 2 times or 5 times as much on their own leisure activities.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd May 2021 at 06:07. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
The simple answer: They are fun bikes!

And just like that, there is a smaller but still considerable segment that wouldn't mind spending 2 times or 5 times as much on their own leisure activities.
We agree on the fun part. And that there are people who wouldn't mind spending on their leisure activities. Just that they aren't too many - probably 2 in delhi and a few more across India.
Anyway - if Triumph can keep them happy, no one is complaining. Good to have more of these launched at least.
The generic complaint is about how expensive these bikes have become for most and if you could buy only one, why would you buy a scrambler (and then get a better seat and fix a windscreen to it)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks