Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Yamaha will not launch any big bikes in India this year

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...is-year-421282.
There goes my dream of the BS6 R3 down the drains . I really don't understand why Yamaha wants to focus on the commuter segment, especially when they have some tempting products on sale globally.
Good luck on selling your hybrid Fascino's ,Yamaha.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 16:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yamaha will not launch any big bikes in India this year

Yamaha’s big bike operations have been dormant since the BS6 emission norms were implemented in India on April 1, 2020. Now, the company has revealed that it is not planning to launch any big bikes in India during this year. In fact, the company also has no intention to restart its big-bike operation anytime soon.

Yamaha is planning to focus on its existing 150-250cc motorcycles and the 125cc scooter platform. The company is also developing an electric scooter for the country. While it could explore options if the demand arises, we don't expect any CKD or CBU bikes from Yamaha this year.

Yamaha will not launch any big bikes in India this year-yamaha.jpg

Yamaha had big bikes like the R1, R1M, MT-09 and R3 in its product portfolio in India. While the first 3 were imported as CBUs, the R3 was assembled from CKD kits. All these bikes were pulled off the market when the country introduced BS6 emission norms and are not likely to return anytime soon. Bikes based on the company’s 700cc platform (Tenere 700 & R7) are also unlikely to be launched.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: Autocar India
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha will not launch any big bikes in India this year

Brilliant.. Looks like the current generation will have to continue listening to legendary stories of RX, RD's and R15's among the greatest bikes sold (in volumes) by Yamaha in India.
SnS_12 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:00   #4
BHPian

It’s disheartening to see what has become of the company that was once the pioneer of the premium motorcycle market in India. While I understand the business sentiment behind this move, what puzzles me is that it totally contradicts their corporate catchphrase – “The Call of the Blue” – which is centred around their racing heritage. They now only have one bike – the R15 - that fits the sentiment. The rest of their line-up is simply drawing from the resultant marketing mileage.

Yamaha will not launch any big bikes in India this year-call-blue.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Brilliant.. Looks like the current generation will have to continue listening to legendary stories of RX, RD's and R15's among the greatest bikes sold (in volumes) by Yamaha in India.
Sadly, yeah. Apart from Royal Enfield, Yamaha is the only other brand in India that enjoys a strong emotional recall. The market sentiment is shifting steadily towards mid-capacity premium motorcycles, a segment that Yamaha excels in globally. I hope the head honchos at Yamaha India realise that soon and cash in on it.

Last edited by Turbojc : 5th July 2021 at 18:07.
Turbojc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
a segment that Yamaha excels in globally. I hope the head honchos at Yamaha India realise that soon and cash in on it.
Highly unlikely Yamaha will listen to Indian customers. They are truly a weird bunch among the Japanese bike makers. They have made their own assumption that the Indian big bike market is not lucrative or profitable so they want to stick to the 100 - 150 cc and capture volume instead of margin.

I had multiple discussions with Yamaha on oem parts in 2019 until I foamed in my mouth and Yamaha said domo arigato but no thank you Mr. Roberto
no_fear is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 09:56   #6
BHPian

Expected move. Seen years of policy paralysis from Yamaha India with respect to Big bikes. The dealers were reluctant to order and sell big bikes and the service & spares availability with the A.S.S were rarer than horns on a donkey.

Its a chicken and egg story. They were the segment pioneers with the R1 and the MT but somewhere along the way lost the plot once the competition intensified. They just refused to put marketing or commercial monies behind this segment and that resulted in an absent go-to-market strategy (no clear dealerships, customer engagement or sales teams) while competition like Kawasaki and Triumph came and conquered. Shame really that profits from the commuter segment are what keeps companies running. What happened to the heart?

I so badly wanted to pick-up an R1 instead of the 10R in 2016 but dint because the pricing was atrocious to put it mildly. Glad I made the right choice!
narula123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like their sole focus is on the FZ family at the moment. They are really squeezing/milking that platform, akin to Bajaj with Pulsar. They even went and launched the FZ-X, a retro style on the FZ. Meanwhile there are bikes like the R15 and MT15 to hold the fort. But then the real aspirational set of 2 wheels from Yamaha have been the likes of the R1 , V Max, MT-10 etc. They need to put those kind of bikes back in the showrooms to regain that cool brand factor.

Last edited by TrackDay : 6th July 2021 at 11:38.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
They were the segment pioneers with the R1 and the MT but somewhere along the way lost the plot once the competition intensified. They just refused to put marketing or commercial monies behind this segment and that resulted in an absent go-to-market strategy (no clear dealerships, customer engagement or sales teams) while competition like Kawasaki and Triumph came and conquered.
Some years down the line when an ex Kawasaki India executive joins Yamaha India, might ask why the top management decided to discontinue the big bikes for India and might say something similar to the famous dialogue in Jurassic Park by Jeff Goldblum playing the character of Ian Malcolm "Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should"

Last edited by SnS_12 : 6th July 2021 at 12:07.
SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 15:00   #9
BHPian

Honestly, Yamaha's India stint is somewhat of a below average performance. There's a lack of focus. They don't even know what to launch.

I wouldn't blame Hero Motocorp for the same because they actually have bikes excelling in mileage and torque. At least that's something for someone.
Yamaha don't even know what message they wish to give. Their bikes don't excel at anything, neither mileage, nor practicality, nor value for money.

The only good products that actually reached somewhere are the Gladiator, R15 and FZ16, but they've all lost their USP with competition ushering in. YZF R1 was a niche product, it never touched the common biker, like KTM & Kawasaki did.

They could've actually got in an Indian-customised inline 2 or inline 4 600cc for a good deal. They had a lot of time for it, but they didn't. They could've had their own range of sprocket choices for gearing change on next service, various other performance accessories and parts to enhance the experience (which they did on the R15 by the way). Coupled with a good pricing(something around 3.5-4L in 2010 or so), the above bike could've done so well.
By the time YZF R3 came, it had nothing substantially new to offer, although let me tell you its a fantastic bike in isolation from the market, even better than a 390 in few matters like comfort/ ride quality, vibrations, etc.

They've lost lot of opportunities and all their expertise at creating petrol engines will eventually expire with next level of pollution norms (as if BS6 didn't damage the industry enough), and electric vehicles are closing the gap now.
Its torquey, its economical for now, and we've had a Rimac Nevera ruining other supercars' image in drag races, so we know its kind of the future now.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 7th July 2021 at 15:28.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 19:04   #10
RMN
BHPian

Disappointing. They dont deserve to blame the Indian consumer or Market while Kawasaki, Triumph & even a "premium" brand like Ducati does pretty well here. Yamaha is at this situation only because of their poor management. They has a better line up that Triumph and Kawasaki and yet they failed horribly.

I dont understand why they cant at least have 1 or 2 dealers across the country that can can bring then bikes on order and offer support.

Come to think of it, Kawasaki is the only Japanese brand that has a proper superbike presence and support in India.
RMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:53   #11
BHPian

A decade ago when i picked up the Ninja 250R, the crossplane R1 was such an aspirational bike. The engine, exhaust note, and the halo around that bike was just phenomenal.

Now Yamaha litre class bikes are rare sight, and Kawasaki really crushed the competition with their regular launches and superb pricing.
Sad to see a brand like yamaha limiting to just commuter bikes.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 02:37   #12

This is sad news, especially since the new MT09 has gotten stellar reviews.
Old 9th July 2021, 22:46   #13
BHPian

Damn, not even the Tenere 700? I was waiting for this desperately!
Old 16th July 2021, 12:11   #14
BHPian

Yamaha has been smultaneously the most aspired as well as the most disappointing brand while growing up.

Anyone who has grown up in the 80s and 90s would have heard the legend of Rx100 and Rd350. Then what Rossi did with Yamaha. Talent and chassis, and tyres, showing an obnoxiously fast Ducati with an incredible talented Stoner aboard can be defeated. Not to mention the best bike in an era can be let go of and yet be a champion. Yes, I am talking about the V5 powered Honda.

And yet, in the local market you had an R15, brilliant machine to learn your chops on, but beyond that nothing. For almost 20 years now, Yamaha's best machine has been the R15. Internationally it has gotten many goodies, not much here. It is still known as an enthusiast's brand. It has its fans. But Yamaha tries so hard to push them away as they grow up. Every other brand does the opposite, they want to keep the customers in the fold, Yamaha says "Good knowing you, now off you go."

I have seen some daft marketing guys, some being on the blunt side of the flat earth they reside on, but by god Yamaha boys take the cake. And throw it away.

Having said that, us customers are really a fickle lot too. Not many bought R3. Too expensive and this and that. So was the RD350 and even the Bullet, but people bought them. Not many bought the R3. And I don't know why. It is very cheap to maintain. Is bullet proof. And if you get good tires and upgrade the suspension, it is life-affirmingly good in the hills. You won't spend a penny on therapy if you ride a well sorted R3 in the hills twice or thrice a year. I should know. I do that.

Every bike lover should have one Yamaha in their garage.

And Yamaha would do really well if they themselves could resist from trying too hard to torpedoe its own ship.
forty6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6 View Post
Having said that, us customers are really a fickle lot too. Not many bought R3. Too expensive and this and that. So was the RD350 and even the Bullet, but people bought them. Not many bought the R3. And I don't know why. It is very cheap to maintain. Is bullet proof. And if you get good tires and upgrade the suspension, it is life-affirmingly good in the hills. You won't spend a penny on therapy if you ride a well sorted R3 in the hills twice or thrice a year. I should know. I do that.

Every bike lover should have one Yamaha in their garage.
And Yamaha would do really well if they themselves could resist from trying too hard to torpedoe its own ship.
While I would agree with most part of the message, we can't really compare the Bullet & RD350 pricing to the YZF R3.
Reasonably maintained RD's (the best we can get in this age) can be had for around 1-1.5 Lakhs, while the basic Bullet is also below the R3's pricing by a considerable margin, unless you mean the 650 twins.

And as far as R3 is concerned, the reason it was DOA is KTM. Upgrading the suspension is a good idea on R3, but a firm, controlling suspension and grippy come standard on the KTM.
And Value for money it surely was, at least on its launch. Do you know I got a Duke 390 on launch for Rs. 1.96 lakhs on road? Now, I admit R3 has its own merits like better bite in brakes (without ABS though), more comfortable, better frame, reliability, etc but the common public can't quantify all this.

But yes, I do agree that we customers are fickle minded. I remember many keyboard warriors complaining that we don't have a decent 600cc inline 4 (after Daytona 675 was discontinued), and Kawasaki responded by launching the ZX6R, and within few months it was down to 0 sales. What's the point in the end?

Most Viewed