Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 15:38   #1
BHPian

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs

The Triumph Tiger Sport 660 was globally unveiled earlier this year. While the company is yet to share the details about the bike's arrival in India, Shoeb Farooq, Business Head, Triumph Motorcycles India has revealed that the brand is looking to locally assemble the upcoming Tiger Sport 660.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-tiger_sport_660__ba8i7810_pb.jpg

The Triumph Trident 660, which is the firm's entry-level motorcycle, is already being locally assembled for the Indian market. The British motorcycle manufacturer has plans to also make the Tiger Sport 660 locally.

The Triumph Tiger Sport 660 is powered by a 660cc, 12-valve, inline 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that produces 80 BHP @ 10,250 rpm and 64 Nm @ 6,250 rpm. This is the same motor that is also being used in the Trident 660.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-tiger_sport_660__ba17638_pb.jpg

In terms of features, the upcoming Tiger Sport 660 is equipped with a fully digital instrument cluster, full-LED lighting, and self-cancelling indicators. For the brakes, there is a pair of 310 mm rotors at the front and a single 255 mm rotor at the back.

The suspension setup on the Tiger Sport 660 consists of Showa 41 mm USD separate function cartridge forks at the front and a Showa mono-shock with remote hydraulic preload adjustment at the back.

Source: Express Drives

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by UtkarshC : 1st December 2021 at 15:42.
UtkarshC is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 16:35   #2
BHPian

re: Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs

With the triumph trident 660 already being assembled here through CKD, I don't think its going to be hard for them to assemble the tiger sport as well, both the bikes share majority of the parts. They will also have a price advantage as it will be a ckd.
Old 1st December 2021, 18:30   #3
BHPian

This might be the perfect leap into the Big (ADV) Bike bandwagon for me, a few years down the line. I might directly skip the 390 / 400 category with my next upgrade from the small capacity league. This is one bike I intend on following keenly, and I hope Triumph get the essentials bang on target.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 21:56   #4
BHPian

That's great news!
(I was not aware of Trident being assembled locally)

Now it completely makes sense to wait for my first middleweight Adv!

Hoping that the costs are kept well in control, this would be a one of the best option.
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Triumph India has started pre-bookings for the Tiger Sport 660 for a token amount Rs 50,000.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-smartselect_20211203170453_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 11:26   #6
BHPian

Great news indeed. Thanks for sharing. A pricing benefit definitely will be there. 3 months since I've sold my Himalayan BS4, the want for another dual sport has been tugging within. This info makes me wanna...but have to wait. Sigh!
Old 4th December 2021, 17:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Great news indeed. Thanks for sharing. A pricing benefit definitely will be there. 3 months since I've sold my Himalayan BS4, the want for another dual sport has been tugging within. This info makes me wanna...but have to wait. Sigh!
Howdy Sanjeev, so the Himalayan has been finally given the pitrupaksh eh. Been a while since we've had a chat of sort, glad to find you here. So, the itch has begun to upgrade to a better ADV, why don't you consider the KTM ADV, especially the 250, given it thoughts?

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 18:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
why don't you consider the KTM ADV, especially the 250, given it thoughts?
Hey there, VJ! The itch has definitely begun, yes and it's the D390 ADV that's also on my radar actually...but a waiting period is warranted unfortunately. DM you about that! TC!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 18:21   #9
BHPian

How good or bad are these at being a daily office commuter? Think , big guy, mad traffic, high ambient temperatures and tight lanes!

In other words what current bike might serve the above purpose?
Old 6th December 2021, 12:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I would caution potential buyers to not jump the gun as
- the Tiger Sport 660 hasnt been tested by the international and Indian media. How good will it be for touring? We cant say.
- no customer deliveries yet worldwide (at least to my knowledge)
- no prices have been announced yet for India
- irrespective of whether it was a CBU or CKD, the Trident 660 was not smartly priced by Triumph India. It is unlikely that the Tiger Sport 660 will be well priced either.

Despite having the widest range of big bikes on sale in India, an unrealistic premium pricing strategy has meant that Triumph's sales figures have been lagging. Unlike Honda or Suzuki, Triumph does not have an array of 100cc scooters to prop up their top line (no pun intended) or bottom line. I would expect an exshowroom price of Rs 8.25 L. ​

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
How good or bad are these at being a daily office commuter? Think , big guy, mad traffic, high ambient temperatures and tight lanes!

In other words what current bike might serve the above purpose?
A small big bike is the wrong segment of motorcycle for the usage that you specified. A KTM Adv250 would have been right for you but that is discontinued. Look at bikes like the Himalayan, CB300, GS310, Dominar 250 and many other bikes of a similar size and weight.
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I would expect an exshowroom price of Rs 8.25 L.
Hey Thanks, I just called Shaman Motors and he mentioned to me that the expected OTR Mum would be 11-11.5 Lacs. That's expensive no ? Considering the street version of 660 at 8.6 Lacs OTR.

If Triumph is pricing it this way then I am not going to blow my money on it. I might as well look for pre-owned Triumph. Any suggestions would help.

Cheers !!
spoth001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 19:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:

A small big bike is the wrong segment of motorcycle for the usage that you specified. A KTM Adv250 would have been right for you but that is discontinued. Look at bikes like the Himalayan, CB300, GS310, Dominar 250 and many other bikes of a similar size and weight.
Curious recommendations! CB300 is definitely on the radar but for it’s slightly forward bias riding position. But will reserve judgment until I ride one. I had a Thunderbird 350 and find it was super comfy but it was painful to see the bike struggle to even hit 80 kmph without waking the neighbors. So no RE for now (save for the new J series models) . Let’s see what the future holds. Sorry for the rather long OT post.
balajiisworking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 20:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hey Thanks, I just called Shaman Motors and he mentioned to me that the expected OTR Mum would be 11-11.5 Lacs. That's expensive no ? Considering the street version of 660 at 8.6 Lacs OTR.
I might as well look for pre-owned Triumph. Any suggestions would help.
That’s expensive indeed and unlikely IMO, possibly the showroom folks trying to push out some Trident 660s by highlighting its value proposition compared to Tiger sport. (Just a guess )

I feel the on-road pricing should be just around 10-10.5L mark considering price difference abroad between Trident and Tiger 660 is approx $ 1.1 - 1.2 k which roughly isn’t over INR 1 lakh. I know international prices aren’t really a benchmark for us but still just for a perspective. Besides, the local assembly should aid on pricing front to some extent .

Also considering the decent changes that 2022 Versys 650 has got now (Suzuki may surprise with an updated V-Strom 650) , Triumph wouldn’t want to risk it too much against tried and tested Japanese tourers primarily on the basis of an extra cylinder.

The trident 660 is doing decent numbers for Triumph owing to a good price for a premium entry level sportsbike. I hope Triumph continues to ride the wave and not price the Tiger sport too high around 12 lakh mark where many other good proven options (Versys 1000, Tiger 800/850/900, Ninja 1000, BMW 900 twins etc.) open up by stretching a little or going for a slightly used bike.

In any case like Neil mentioned above, irrespective of whatever it is priced at, do wait for some reviews or even a test ride before you decide to take the plunge. Cheers!
camitesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 08:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post

If Triumph is pricing it this way then I am not going to blow my money on it. I might as well look for pre-owned Triumph. Any suggestions would help.
spoth001, a Bombay OTR price of Rs 11 L is much higher than what I expected it to be but if we look at it differently, the next touring bike from Triumph is the Tiger 850 which is priced at Rs 11.95 L exshowroom. So it is quite possible that Triumph tries to slot the Tiger Sport 660 at a bit of a premium to bridge the gap. Will the market accept such pricing? I dont think so but lets see.

On pre-owned Triumphs, there are a lot of good bikes in the market today. Maybe you can start a new thread with details of your history, intended usage and budget and we can all pitch in with our thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
Curious recommendations! CB300 is definitely on the radar but for it’s slightly forward bias riding position. But will reserve judgment until I ride one. I had a Thunderbird 350 and find it was super comfy but it was painful to see the bike struggle to even hit 80 kmph without waking the neighbors. So no RE for now (save for the new J series models) . Let’s see what the future holds. Sorry for the rather long OT post.
If you want a bike that will allow you to have some more fun that my earlier recommendations, then the Interceptor 650 is all the bike that you need.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 01:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- the Tiger Sport 660 hasnt been tested by the international and Indian media…
Came across a few first ride reviews on YT of this sports tourer.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th December 2021 at 01:33.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks