Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 02:14   #46
BHPian

Re: Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs

A few days ago I went to a large motorcycle dealer here to have a look at the Triumph Tiger 660 Sport as I was considering it for my younger brother back in India. As they had not PDI’d the bike I didn’t get a chance to test ride (in all fairness I couldn’t have even if I wanted to as I don’t have a motorcycle license ).

A couple of thoughts:

This is a sports tourer and by no means an ADV bike so any comparison with V-Strom 650 is not fair as with a 17-inch front tire and 170/180mm (my estimate) ground clearance it is anything but. As already pointed out by Neil, there’s very little space for the pillion rider. I found it shocking that even at this price point the front suspension is not adjustable; the rear is but only for pre-load and not rebound. The fit and finish of the bike are very good and as far as the looks are concerned, it is indeed a looker. The bike looks much bigger than it actually is.

At 835mm the seat height could be of some potential concern for riders shorter than 5’8” on the other hand I have seen one of my neighbors who’s barely 5’7” ride a GS 1250 for the last three years so it should be manageable. I’m 5’9” and could almost flat foot the bike. The seat is comfortable; the switchgear quality is fairly decent, the brake lines are braided and you have LED lighting all around with a 6 step adjustable windshield. I did not switch on the ignition, therefore, cannot comment on the instrument cluster but it’s a basic TFT (I’m given to understand most of the requisite information is available on demand). The underbelly exhaust will prevent any use of the center stand and the riders who like to service their bikes at home would have to get a paddock style stand. The unguarded sump & the radiator would be a concern on our roads and there are no company or aftermarket options available currently.

With switchable traction control, ABS, a couple of riding modes, upside-down Showa shocks, a 17.2 ltr. fuel tank & integrated pannier mounts, it ticks all the required boxes and then some. The bike makes 81 PS of power but does that way high in the rev range at 10,250 rpm while the torque figures are identical to that produced by the Versys motor at 64Nm.

I believe a lot of folks will be cross-shop it with the 2022 Kawasaki Versys 650 (and a few with Suzuki V-Strom 650) as and when it is launched in India. I have no doubt in my mind for the folks who do not want to venture off the pavement and are interested in long-distance touring and wouldn’t mind spending close to 11 to 12 lakhs (depending on where you’re located), this is a decent proposition. I just hope Kawasaki India does not take the cue from Tiger 660’s pricing and bump up the upcoming 2022 Versys 650’s pricing accordingly.

The fact of the matter is that in terms of the widely spread rider community, the after-market support & probably the cost of spares, and most importantly the unstressed nature of its engine (and this might be a negative for the folks who like a screaming V twin); the new (in my uninformed opinion even the current one) Kawasaki Versys 650 will be a better bet however for the folks who want the latest toy and have the moolah to get one wouldn’t go wrong with the Triumph Tiger 660 Sport.

My apologies for the poor quality of pictures (were taken using my phone)

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_181421-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_181448-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_181517-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_181606-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_181635-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_181959-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_182034-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_182115-2.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660, now launched at 8.95 lakhs-img_20220325_182143-2.jpg

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 30th March 2022 at 02:24. Reason: Formatting
Vikram Arya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 23:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Net net, in India, the real competition to the Tiger Sport 660, is the bigger, badder, more all rounded and more affordable Tiger 800. Considering the capabilities of the Tiger 800 and the cost savings involved, I see no reason for people who want a three cylindered tourer, to consider the Tiger Sport 660 over the Tiger 800.
You put it so well!! Couldn't agree more.

A friend who was considering the Tiger Sport 660 and finally decided against it with the prices out. I don't believe anyone really thought it was going to be much cheaper. I feel that the bike falls in no mans land and now with the prices feel more convinced. Guess anyone still on the fence for this one due to the price and can wait, will find a pre-owned at a good value in some time.
mindshack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 08:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Very well said and summarized Neil, people seem to be more wowed with Tiger name and Triumph brand, rather then the product itself. I really don't find anything interesting on this bike, just nothing. Between the same brand this is expensive by 1.5 lacs Ex-showroom price from Trident, does it command that kind of premium, only buyers can answer and decide.

You really bring a very valid point of accessories too, surprising that radiator guard is not present for now even as official accessory. The volumes that these two bikes will do put together will not entice any indian accessory maker to invest there time in this. Don't see any panniers too, only twin helmet top box for luggage, which with rack is almost close to 33K. That said like the standard windshield, should do a great job to keep away wind blast.
The issue with Triumph is of relative reliability. The Versys 650 is bullet proof. Nothing ever breaks down ever. Even if I start the bike once a month, she fires up on half a crank. If the battery gets low, a push start will get her going. I can't ever imagine the triumph will ever be this reliable. In other words the Versys is like the splendour of 650 tourers. As we all know, it's impossible to beat the splendour in what she does best.
apachelongbow is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindshack View Post
Guess anyone still on the fence for this one due to the price and can wait, will find a pre-owned at a good value in some time.
That will take many many years. The current price is an introductory price and will increase in 6 months time. Every year the price will rise and it won't be before 3-4 years when we might see some decently priced used bikes in the market.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 22:32   #50
BHPian

The only thing wrong with this bike is the name. By calling it Tiger they are calling for comparison with the bigger brother, when this is not really in the same category. This is for all intent and purposes a sports tourer. For India. This is the ground clearance most big bikes in India should come with. You can’t do trails or really crappy roads with it. But you can do most of the Indian highways, speed breakers and the numerous diversions. It has good power, and knowing Triumph the ride and handling will be good. This is perfect for those who have realised that going far and wide is more fun than going bonkers in the city. This will easily do 120-130 all day and take you places, and most importantly let you know the sinuous corners as and when they present themselves. These kind of experiences are more enjoyable and very underrated. The only comparison for this kind of bike is with the Versys 650. 17 inch wheel and all. Yes it is kinda more expensive than the versys, but think of it as a price you pay for a little more endearing engine. That kind of thing makes you keep the bike longer. I think this is the goldilocks bike for India. It’s just not priced as perfectly. But, then they haven’t gone ahead and done a Honda CB500x, another brilliant bike atrociously priced.

To comparisons with second hand bikes. There are none. For this price you can even get a Ducati Multistrada and that will have more bells and whistles than a shepherds’ get together at a ranch. Tiger 800 is a good bike, but this will probably out corner that in the hands of an average rider.

Like everyone I wish this was at least 50k cheaper. But, seeing prices of everything as a high as kids at a frat party these days, it’s bearable.
forty6 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 15:08   #51
BHPian

Pleasant looking motorcycle, IMHO. Can’t say the same about the price, but it’s better than the 14 lakh Rupee tag rumour that was making the rounds on the Internet last year.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 17:21   #52
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Shumi is not at all impressed with the suspension! Thats quite a let down, because that is one of the biggest strengths of the old Versys.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 17:51   #53
BHPian

The all new Triumph Tiger Sport 660 reviews are out, find out what is in and what is out in this bike.

ManneAtWheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 01:28   #54

Too many reviews too soon. Seems like a mixed bag of good and bad!

But the price really makes it lucrative for a large audience looking at adventure motorcycles and of course the brand.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th April 2022 at 10:36. Reason: Formatting edits.
Old 14th April 2022, 03:20   #55
Team-BHP Support

Gotten to see the bike a bit closer via the video reviews from Powerdrift, Zigwheels and Overdrive (still not personally seen it in the flesh). First and foremost I’ve got to say I’m really impressed how unbiased and hard hitting bike reviews are getting specially from these three franchises. They really called it out as it is on the reviews.

Seeing the reviews and noting the 17” front wheel in particular and the suspension to some extent, I am beginning to feel that this particular bike REALLY has its work cut out.

First: Branding this the Tiger.
Not that it’s unprecedented (internationally - think Tiger Sport 1050 back in the day) but in India, the Tiger brand name has always been associated with serious off roading creds, even when they come in road biased guise like GT/ XRX. Branding this the Tiger I feel is setting it up for expectation mismatch. Even I was half expecting this to be a baby 800 until I saw the specs in detail - it is anything but that - if anything it’s a Trident on steroids in terms of ground clearance (I am oversimplifying just a bit of course to drive home the point).

Second: Price vs competition.
I feel its price to positioning too is such that its going to have its work cut out.

If you want a cushier more comfortable sports tourer, there is the Versys which is just larger, has better suspension and likely more comfortable for long distance Tarmac touring.

If you want a similar priced similar spec bike with better off-roading ability, the V Strom makes a stronger case. If you are ok with used bikes, there is also the option of buying used Tiger 800s / 900s for similar money which will just be all round a far superior and far more versatile offering.

If adventure riding is not really your thing and you’re mostly in it for solo Tarmac touring, even the Street Triple R is going to play on your mind. It can manage distance touring and will just feel, spec for spec, a far superior offering, specially for fitter blokes who can pull off touring on a street bike.

Whatever your use case, it would seem that for comparable money there is some or the other product out there, which is a much more attractive draw, relegating the target audience to far too narrow a fact / use case set.

All in all, I’m sceptical of what this really brings to the table and how successful this can be. It will lean heavily on the magic of Triumph sales teams to make this more successful than what the product actually warrants on pure merits.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th April 2022 at 10:35. Reason: Minor typo.
Axe77 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 09:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Whatever your use case, it would seem that for comparable money there is some or the other product out there, which is a much more attractive draw, relegating the target audience to far too narrow a fact / use case set.
And, if one needs a 'real' tiger, Tiger 850 is not too far away.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:04   #57
BHPian

An unnecessary addition to the Tiger stable.

Just test rode this in Pune. As usual, awesome service and courteous staff, thanks to B U Bhandari. Took me back to 2010 when we bought our first car from them.

Having ridden the Ducati Multistradas and Versys 650 I exactly knew what this bike had to solve. Which sadly it doesn't. Firstly, the pricing is premium for a not-so-premium bike (No Cruise Control and the plastics seem pretty Bajaj-like. Not cheap but not something that you expect from an 11+ lakh bike). I would ask my financer to bump up my loan amount and then go for the Tiger 850 or the 900 instead. Secondly, the riding position just failed to inspire confidence. My right shoulder had a strange feeling of imbalance, in terms of strain.

The only thing that shines is the proven three-cylinder engine. It's not only silky smooth and torquey but also makes heads turn by its pure symphony.

Better wait for the 2022 Versys 650 LT.
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 06:17   #58
BHPian

I test drove the tiger 660 last sat and I echo the same emotion coming in this thread. This bike brings more confusion than assurance.

Pricing is terribly confusing as well with Triple R close to it including the ground clearance being same.

Now a bit of help needed -

I am not a tourer but have done a few 400kms trips. Given a good friend might do a longer one as well but very rarely. I owned cbr650f and ninja 1000 previously and currently on a Ninja 650. I commute in Bangalore traffic on my n650 which is fun But a 250km ride in Ninja 650 brought a shoulder pain and butt ache and its 130mm ground clearance is a serious pain everywhere.

Now I miss the inline music and my shortlists are Tiger 660 and Street Triple R.

Any suggestions? [Single bike for daily use and occasional rides and I am a fan of power]. I am 5'6.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Now a bit of help needed -

I am not a tourer but have done a few 400kms trips. Given a good friend might do a longer one as well but very rarely. I owned cbr650f and ninja 1000 previously and currently on a Ninja 650. I commute in Bangalore traffic on my n650 which is fun But a 250km ride in Ninja 650 brought a shoulder pain and butt ache and its 130mm ground clearance is a serious pain everywhere.

Now I miss the inline music and my shortlists are Tiger 660 and Street Triple R.

Any suggestions? [Single bike for daily use and occasional rides and I am a fan of power]. I am 5'6.
The 2022 Suzuki Katana would be a perfect fit for this requirement.

It’s rider triangle is very relaxed, unlike naked bikes.

Power is available in spades. That K5 GSXR engine will thrill like no other (within the price bracket this bike retails at).

Is compact enough to be used daily and for occasional long rides.

Although the tank volume is on lower side, combining breaks with fuel topups every 150km doesn’t appear to be an issue.
GoBlue is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 11:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

Out of two, if commuting in city is what your criteria is then definitely Tiger 660. It has relaxed ergonomics with better/longer suspension travel. It will definitely do good on highways as well with added advantage of wind protection since it has an OEM visor.

Conversely, Street Triple R is the perfect machine for highways. You just can’t get bored of revving the engine to 10k plus rpm. It just sounds awesome and moves lightning quick! R isn’t the one to commute in heavy traffic.

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 26th September 2022 at 11:42. Reason: Added space
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks