Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Looking for my first 1000cc Naked Motorcycle | Suggestions?

Posting on behalf of a friend:

I'm looking to buy my first big bike and would like to know what you guys would suggest in Mumbai.

I currently own a Benelli Leoncino 500 and Yamaha R15M. Would like to add a liter class naked to my collection.

With a budget of around 14-15 Lakhs, I've tested the Kawasaki Z900 and Ducati Monster so far. The Z900 feels great, but dated. The Monster on the other hand felt underwhelming.
Can you guys suggest a few more in the same class and type that I could test?

I'm 5'5" tall and I'll be using the bike quite regularly to travel to work (~200-250 kms every week), so ride comfort is important.

No cruisers or bobbers, since I don't prefer them. Also nothing with a very agressive riding position.

Thanks in advance for the help 😊
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 16:46   #2
BHPian

re: Looking for my first 1000cc Naked Motorcycle | Suggestions?

Triumph Street Triple
Small size, Nimble and not very aggressive.
Will suit the physique as well.

Street Twins can also be considered, but they are again Retro styling like the Benelli Leoncino.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 16:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I would recommend Ninja 1000SX.

Riding posture is not very aggressive and I have done some rides of 300-500km without any fatigue, wind protection is good and quick shifter is addictive. I am short (5'4") and I can manage the bike, got the OEM Kawasaki low seat and then on it's become even easier. The Kawasaki inline 4 is a silky smooth unit with no vibrations anywhere in the rev range.

Good luck with your search

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th March 2022 at 17:18.
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 19:26   #4
BHPian

I would suggest the Triumph Speed Twin. Perfect upgrade option for your friend. The riding position is comfortable, the bike is not too heavy and is very much manageable in traffic. And not to mention the killer looks. Ask your friend to test ride. I am sure he will love it.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not really liter class but do check out the Speed Triple R/RS.
The low weight makes up for what it loses in engine capacity and that 3 cylinder howl is intoxicating.

Outside of that :
- CB1000R : probably underwhelming going by your Z900 feedback
- S1000R

Good Luck.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I'm looking to buy my first big bike and would like to know what you guys would suggest in Mumbai.

With a budget of around 14-15 Lakhs, I've tested the Kawasaki Z900 and Ducati Monster so far. The Z900 feels great, but dated. The Monster on the other hand felt underwhelming.
Can you guys suggest a few more in the same class and type that I could test?
There isn’t any litre class naked bike available in a budget of 14-15L, unfortunately. Z900/Monster are not litre class either.

The Triumph Speed Twin is indeed litre class as suggested by another gentleman, however I would not recommend it as a daily rider for Mumbai weather/traffic. Triumph retro roadsters emit crazy levels of heat, can make life uncomfortable. If it was intended to be used as a weekend machine, then it could’ve been suitable.

Extend your budget to either the BMW S1000R or the Triumph Speed Triple RS if you really want a litre class naked.

Else I would agree with BHPian AnandPadhye, the N1K seems like the best option for your budget. It has litre class power. No other bike that’s priced below 14L makes 140 HP/111 NM.

Last edited by GoBlue : 15th March 2022 at 20:35.
GoBlue is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 21:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

When someone says litre class, I don’t really think classics like Speed Twin. Only inline 4 or even triples come to mind. Like GoBlue mentioned, 15L may not get you (quote / unquote) litre class bikes but the top options that come to my mind are listed below:

Ninja 1000 SX: This is hands down the best option money can buy you today for the requirements you spelt out. Its legit inline 4, 140 bhp, 1000 cc sports tourer that can be as easy to handle in the city as it is munching miles on the highway.

From here on, interpreting your requirements a bit more liberally, the options that come to my mind are the Street Triple RS, the Z900 and the BMW F900XR, all of them being high performance nakeds that move the needle very significantly forward from your current garage.

Further adding to the mix, I’d throw in the CB1000 also - if its still selling, although I suspect you may need to push the budget just a little higher or alternately look for recent sparingly used examples.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th March 2022 at 21:30.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 22:45   #8
BHPian

For 14 lacs, your friend will be spoilt for choice in the wonderland of pre-owned bikes!
I know you may not have asked for suggestions like these but please look at a pre-owned BMW R1200R or something. It's only new once but the boxer engine isn't even fully run in also by 10000 km!
I often say this. Buy nice or buy twice.

Last edited by nitrogary : 15th March 2022 at 22:47.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 23:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Ask your friend to test ride the Triumph Street Triple RS since he has ridden Z900 and the Monster. The RS is very involving, top notch equipment and excellent fit and finish too. The RS heats up quite a bit in traffic and I wouldn’t use it for commuting on a regular basis.

As GoBlue mentioned the above bikes cannot be considered as litre class bikes. The standard BMW S1000R should be around 20-21 lacs on road in Mumbai. Since he already has two bikes, it may make sense to wait a bit, increase the budget and get the S1000R.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2022, 12:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for my first 1000cc Naked Motorcycle | Suggestions?

Quote:
I'll be using the bike quite regularly to travel to work
If this is the main usage criteria then he needs to look at a light and easily maneuverable motorcycle with good low end torque as he will be riding 80% of the time under 4k revs.

I have taken my Busa only once to work and I left early to work in the morning and headed back home early in the afternoon to avoid the traffic and I still didn't enjoy it as I was barely exploring its potential.

A used CB400 is what comes to my mind (if I had to pick) as in the city limits it is always fun to ride a less powerful bike fast than riding a more powerful bike slow.
Old 16th March 2022, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
There isn’t any litre class naked bike available in a budget of 14-15L, unfortunately. Z900/Monster are not litre class either.

The Triumph Speed Twin is indeed litre class as suggested by another gentleman, however I would not recommend it as a daily rider for Mumbai weather/traffic. Triumph retro roadsters emit crazy levels of heat, can make life uncomfortable. If it was intended to be used as a weekend machine, then it could’ve been suitable.

Extend your budget to either the BMW S1000R or the Triumph Speed Triple RS if you really want a litre class naked.

Else I would agree with BHPian AnandPadhye, the N1K seems like the best option for your budget. It has litre class power. No other bike that’s priced below 14L makes 140 HP/111 NM.
I recently bought one and have not faced any issues with heat let alone crazy amounts. Maybe I am used to it. I sometimes ride it with shorts though for shorter period of time like 30 mins and have never found it to be uncomfortable.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:17   #12
BHPian

The Ninja SX1000 is a great option. It has really good riding dynamics, it's a pretty versatile machine and while it's stance make it seem sporty, the riding position on it is pretty neutral. You can own it for years without any issues, and you have the room for a lot of aftermarket modifications.

Apart from that, I see no other option for you, but to wait for something like the KTM 890 Duke R. Sure, it is not litre class on paper. Focus phrase being "on paper".

Don't go for the Z900 if you're looking for litre class performance. IMHO, the Z900 is a poor mans litre class bike.

I have no experience with the S1000 so I can't say.

I would advise against looking at Ducatis. Earlier I was pretty enamoured by them, but the more I spoke to Ducati owners, and the more I test rode Ducatis, I have come to the conclusion that a Ducati is just not meant for our desi conditions: mechanically, financially and purposefully. Go buy a white elephant instead.
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 10:22   #13
YDS
BHPian

Street triple and Hypermotard should also be checked as your friend is spending a huge amount and there is no harm in a test ride.
Old 17th March 2022, 10:45   #14
BANNED

My very first reaction on reading the opening post was a Honda CB 1000R, and strangely its the only one that hasn't been brought up in the suggestions.
SNA411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 11:50   #15
BHPian

My advice would be to get a N1000SX. Its the best of both worlds. Can commute comfortably and also go touring. Infact its very nimble to use in traffic as well. If he wants to go the used bike route then there are many options. Italians are hard in summers and also they are a bit more expensive to maintain. If he can increase his budget then the Streerfighter would be the best naked, but its a huge budget increase. Since he wants a naked specially let him check out the street triple and if thats not sufficient then the speed triple. There is another beautiful bike but no longer available. Its got the same heart as of the Ninja1000 and thats the z1000. If he is ok with used then thats a huge saving since i have seen these bikes go for as low as 7. Find a clean example enjoy it for a while and save money and may be upgrade to a new bike in a few years?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks