Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2022, 22:47   #16
BHPian

Re: The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review

Congrats once again @iamahunter. Wishing you lots of miles and smiles. Two small pointers:-
1. Post proper break in, the bike gives a mileage of 25+ on highways. Almost a given unless your riding style is way off.
2. The buzz around 4.5-5k vanishes on either side of the band especially the higher side. Use your gear shifter to keep the rpm on either side of the band.
Welcome to the V club
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 10:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of motorbikes have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-kv650.png
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 19:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post
Did you ever consider the upcoming Triumph Tiger 660 though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
  • What are the engine specs (power/torque), any comparison done?
  • What is the on-road price and mind you sharing the split up?
  • As @Mahven already highlighted, have you not considered the upcoming Triumph Tiger Sport 660?
Come to think of it - yes, I did consider it.
But given the uncertain launch date and price + the discounts offered on the current gen Versys made me take the plunge.

Also, there were a couple of things which were important to me which I would not have got in the Tiger 660.
  1. Range - 21L tank(versys) vs 17.5L tank(Tiger); Also, the speculated mileage is less than the Versys.
  2. Comfort - Few reviews suggested that Versys has a more comfortable seat than the Tiger, especially for the passenger.
  3. Price - I got a good deal on the Versys as its the out going model, Tiger's speculated price was 9.5L+ On road
First 2 points were with me thanks to the review on Revzilla.

I haven't mentioned any power figures as they are available easily over the forum. But I have ridden and compared the power of the bikes back to back, I rode the V-strom and Versys 650 back to back as they seems to more on par. A detailed comparison on how they feel to ride is on the forum (Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh) itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The machine surely has it's flaws in 2022 and feels outdated in terms of equipment - but once on the highways - all is forgiven!
Yes, that's very true.
I am a little oldscool and prefer lesser electronic dependencies. The new versys would be coming in with digital screen LED Headlights, and some minor tweeks to the front fairing. For me, I rarely look at the console while riding and the current gen gives out the information I need. And not a very big fan of LED lights, but its alo something that can be done aftermarket easily and would probably give a better result than the stock ones.
Nights rides will anyways depend more on the Aux lights than the stock lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of motorbikes have started going to our homepage reviews box..

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Attachment 2289631
Thankyou Aditya, I am honored.
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 03:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

I wish you had considered the newer MY22 model, though its unclear how much more it would have cost. This may have been a barrier for you. The improvements over the MY21 make it worthwhile. More so considering you are someone who holds onto your vehicles for long. Cost associated with regard to failure of LED lamps should be the least of your concern. Its a led/bulb after all. They fail on just about anything after a period of time. This too can be replaced at a far lesser cost if you go after market. You've anyway highlighted the need to upgrade or supplement the stock halogen lights of the bike so that cost is going to go there anyway. On the instrument cluster, there is no comparison. Its more comprehensive on the MY22 and that temperature gauge you miss is there. Its less about distraction. In this case, it auto adjusts to day and night time so I doubt if it ever will be distracting. Its more about what you gain out of it in terms of more information available to you, about the state of your motorcycle. Not to forget, the all important Traction control/Ride modes or KTRC as Kawasaki calls it and Smartphone integration.

Kawasaki have given it all with the Versys as its the entry point for their Touring range. Its simple in its mechanicals and that makes it dependable too.

Enjoy your new ride. Those are some great photos too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 30th March 2022 at 03:12.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 16:21   #20
BHPian

Congrats on your great purchase!! Have fun with it!!
I enjoyed your write up. One thing that struck me was your experience at Suzuki. Although from a different city I can vouch for the same here too. I had a similar experience. The staff were absolutely disinterested in trying to even explain the basics of the V-Strom to me, forget test ride etc. Looks like Suzuki is the same across the country.
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:48   #21
BHPian

Re: The All-Rounder - Versys 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
The Alternatives Considered

3. Suzuki V-Strom

U]Likes[/u]
  • Wonderful smooth V-twin
  • Comfortable seating posture.
  • Seat can be lowered by simple "jugad"
  • Long service intervals.
  • Service and spare costs are way less than the Kawasaki.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful review! If I may ask you, what's this simple 'Jugad' you are talking here? The official lower seat costs Rs 25,000/- So, if there is any alternative readymade solution which you are aware, I would really like to understand. Getting the existing seat modified by local seat vendor might not be a real quality work, in my opinion.

Last edited by prajakt_23 : 8th April 2022 at 09:51. Reason: Added [/QUOTE] attribute
Old 8th April 2022, 11:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Enjoy your new ride. Those are some great photos too.
Thankyou mate!

Quote:
I wish you had considered the newer MY22 model, though its unclear how much more it would have cost.
Cost : Yes, as per the sales, it would cost atleast a lac more = Many more miles on the current one.

Quote:
Cost associated with regard to failure of LED lamps should be the least of your concern. Its a led/bulb after all. They fail on just about anything after a period of time. This too can be replaced at a far lesser cost if you go after market. You've anyway highlighted the need to upgrade or supplement the stock halogen lights of the bike so that cost is going to go there anyway.
Attaching an image of LED cluster of my CBR. Versys 22 would also be getting the LED cluster headlight.

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-led-placement.jpg
As you can see, its a cluster of LEDs and not a single LED bulb. Replacing one of the LED = Replacing the entire headlight unit. Yes, it shall cost way higher than replacing a failed bulb. And upgrading to an aftermarket bulb in this sort of cluster is not possible.

Quote:
Its less about distraction. In this case, it auto adjusts to day and night time so I doubt if it ever will be distracting.
Well, by distraction I mean frequently checking the information displayed, rather than concentrating on the ride. The curiosuity of scrolling through the information on the bike's current stats while riding is dangerous.
After 13 years of riding, I've come to know myself, and I know I rarely look at the cluster while riding. Only in traffic situations when there is heat on my legs, my eyes search for the temperature gauge. Its more of a personal choice and opnion.

Quote:
Not to forget, the all important Traction control/Ride modes or KTRC as Kawasaki calls it and Smartphone integration.
As I said, I really like a simple setup and least electronics prefered, I dont wish to have these on the bike yet. May be in the future on the next bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Thanks for sharing this wonderful review! If I may ask you, what's this simple 'Jugad' you are talking here? The official lower seat costs Rs 25,000/- So, if there is any alternative readymade solution which you are aware, I would really like to understand. Getting the existing seat modified by local seat vendor might not be a real quality work, in my opinion.
Thankyou.
So as per a Vstrom owner, there a rubber bushing below the seat which when removed, can reduce the seat height.

If you ever visit Mumbai, check the seat modifications store in Andheri, has been recommended by many bikers for seat modificatins.
I shall soon be trying his services on my CBR, will keep it posted on the CBR thread.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 19:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Seat Height
The seat height is 840 mm, I am 5'6" and I tip toe the bike. I can either have one flat foot on the ground or both feet tip-toeing. The bike while moving has no issue with rider height, however, it helps to be tall in the traffic situation.

Would have loved to have an adjustable or an option to lower the seat height without lowering the bike from suspension.
Congratulations buddy for a wonderful machine! I thought I have already posted here, anyways. Beautiful pictures of the Versys and lovely ownership log. This is a workhorse which need minimum to get going as echoed by other members as well.

What are your thoughts on bad roads? How does the tires fare in these situations(Not off-roading but broken/under construction/gravelly/muddy patches)?

The high seat height of Versys series is what keeps me away to consider these(whenever I upgrade). My height is also 5’6” , just like you.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou.
So as per a Vstrom owner, there a rubber bushing below the seat which when removed, can reduce the seat height.

If you ever visit Mumbai, check the seat modifications store in Andheri, has been recommended by many bikers for seat modificatins.
I shall soon be trying his services on my CBR, will keep it posted on the CBR thread.
Thank you for providing these pointers! In case, if you have contact details of this Andheri shop handy, do share with me. If his work is really good, I wont mind travelling to Andheri one fine morning and handover my existing seat to get its height reduced. I checked the rubber bushing you mentioned above. Removing it might reduce the height by a cm or so, but then there will be some additional adjustments needed to ensure proper fitment of the seat after it. So, it might be better to let some professional handle it
Old 18th April 2022, 12:57   #25
BHPian

Update : Service 01

The required milestone for the first service is 1000 kms or 1 month.
Post the Devi ride, the Versys was already nearing 1100 kms.

Checked and booked an appointment at the Thane service center, the slight excessive kms were acceptable.

Coming to the service part
  • Oil change - I took the 2 liter oil can with me(Motul)
  • Oil filter change - Brought it from the service center.
  • Air Filter cleaning
  • Brake pad cleaning
  • Chain lube
Apparently, things such as chain lube or brake pad cleaning are a mandatory service part and are charged quite high - this was informed by the service center!

For eg: The chain lube costed a whooping Rs 500! One can purchase an entire can of a branded chain lube for that money!

Yes, I fell for their trick . I could have opted out of something like the chain lube and done it myself as I already have a lube can with me!

Either ways, the charge for the service was Rs 5000 and a lesson for me.

Overall, there was nothing exceptional or special about the service, however compared to a fellow Versys owner, the time taken for the service was quite less and workmanship on mine was quite better.

Post Service Experience.
A major difference I felt was the bike is heating noticeably.
The speed and heat is directly proportional, I find this quite strange. The bike is alright in the city or at slower speeds, highway is where she's getting hot.

The rides have reduced to only local rides to near by places, thanks to the summer heat. Either its a night ride(haven't found any company for a long ride here) or an early morning ride.

Accessories Added
  • PPF - I have installed PPF film on the bike, however I am not very happy with the workmanship and quality of work. I have been promised a rework/ correction of the same. Once the rework is completed, will update the place and cost over here.
Quote:
Thank you for providing these pointers! In case, if you have contact details of this Andheri shop handy, do share with me.
I do not have it with me at the moment, will try to get it and PM or share it over here.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 22:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for providing these pointers! In case, if you have contact details of this Andheri shop handy, do share with me. I
I suppose we are referring to the famous Perfect Seat store, run by a guy known Imran (mobile - 09322742117 ), been in this business since several years. If you traveling from far-away, first do talk to him your requirements and fix a time, as it may take few hours for a job.
Store Location https://goo.gl/maps/4ZJ8g8ZRSEoe1SvYA

Quote:
PPF -.....
PPF surely gives lovely protection and be worry-free. No bothering of tank-bags or any other scratching. However, I personally suggest to replace the film in about 2 years - because over the time the film material gets hardened on the surface, small cuts looks ugly and if film is left for many years then removing is a pain. Speaking from experience on Versys tank itself :-).
Btw, Im sure you are part of Versys India group.
PS - I have made few maintenance videos on Versys on my YT channel, do check it out.

wishing you happy and safe miles on Versys.
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 22:05   #27

Hi @iamahunter. Sorry to hijack your thread but i am also looking to buy Versys. So just wanted to know how much discount you got on your bike ? Also want to discuss regarding accessories and All India Versys Owners Group..

Thanks..
Old 8th May 2022, 20:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevynhawk View Post
Hi @iamahunter. Sorry to hijack your thread but i am also looking to buy Versys. So just wanted to know how much discount you got on your bike ? Also want to discuss regarding accessories and All India Versys Owners Group..

Thanks..

If you're going in for the Versys at the moment you will probably end up getting a much better deal. Check this thread (Kawasaki Versys 650 offered with a Rs 70,000 discount).

Update on the Versys - Bike has completed 2500 kms, a small milestone I know, but posting here as I managed to take some images during the ride. The bike has been running absolutely fantastic.

I am planning to add the aux lights form the CBR to the Versys, as the CBR rarely touches the highways now a days, mostly used to basic commute within the city. I feel that I should be taking the CBR out as well, but that would be the Charoti GP kind-of ride. Would be anytime preferring the Versys for longer over night rides.

Today we had a small ride to Varai Naka, its a junction while going towards Kelva and we love the vada-pav over there.
So it was a very quick ride today - Started at 6 am, returned at 9 am and back to bed for completing the sleep. Previous night the F1 qualifying did not let me complete my sleep .

Some pics from the ride.

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_064958_e20220508.jpg

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_065237_e20220508.jpg

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_073543_e20220508.jpg

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_075125_e20220508.jpg

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_075203_e.jpg

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_075303_e20220508.jpg

The All-Rounder | My Kawasaki Versys 650 | Ownership Review-img_20220508_075325_e20220508.jpg

Last edited by iamahunter : 8th May 2022 at 20:47.
iamahunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 15:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I suppose we are referring to the famous Perfect Seat store, run by a guy known Imran (mobile - 09322742117 ), been in this business since several years. If you traveling from far-away, first do talk to him your requirements and fix a time, as it may take few hours for a job.
Store Location https://goo.gl/maps/4ZJ8g8ZRSEoe1SvYA
Thanks so much for sharing these details. I'll get in touch with him!
Old 13th May 2022, 21:06   #30

Quote:
If you're going in for the Versys at the moment you will probably end up getting a much better deal. Check this thread (Kawasaki Versys 650 offered with a Rs 70,000 discount).
Thank you.. Got my bike delivered on Thursday... Are you part of all india versys owners group. If yes could you please share the link..
slevynhawk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks