Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 21:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed Twin 900 launched at Rs. 8.35 lakh

The quality of the Speed Twin 900 is leagues better than anything RE has to offer.

There’s not a single aspect in which the RE INT650 does better than the Triumph.

If the RE INT 650 is 1/3rd the price of the Speed Twin 900, it’s also 1/3rd the bike.
GoBlue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 22:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
The quality of the Speed Twin 900 is leagues better than anything RE has to offer.

There’s not a single aspect in which the RE INT650 does better than the Triumph.

If the RE INT 650 is 1/3rd the price of the Speed Twin 900, it’s also 1/3rd the bike.
Well there are a few things the Interceptor does better. Much better tank range for one. Much better ground clearance for another which means you don't have to worry about breaking your oil sump on the many giant speedbreakers one encounters on our roads. And the Interceptor has an extra gear as well which a lot of Street Twin owners sometimes miss. The last minor difference is a slightly lower curb weight for the Interceptor.

There is a significant performance difference between the two bikes but there are plenty of inexpensive performance mods to bump up the Interceptors performance substantially without breaking the bank. Plus the vast number of service centers allows an owner to take the Interceptor anywhere.
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 23:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Well there are a few things the Interceptor does better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Perhaps the perspective wasn’t understood.

I’m referring only to the quality of the Speed Twin 900 in comparison to the RE.

Quality = build quality.

Last edited by GoBlue : 1st August 2022 at 23:32.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 23:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

One possible reason Triumph decided to introduce '900' into the name is to avoid this comparison with the Interceptor 650.

Now, to someone new to bikes, the Speed Twin 900 feels much more of a big bike than say - a Street Twin.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Well there are a few things the Interceptor does better. Much better tank range for one. Much better ground clearance for another which means you don't have to worry about breaking your oil sump on the many giant speedbreakers one encounters on our roads. And the Interceptor has an extra gear as well which a lot of Street Twin owners sometimes miss. The last minor difference is a slightly lower curb weight for the Interceptor.

There is a significant performance difference between the two bikes but there are plenty of inexpensive performance mods to bump up the Interceptors performance substantially without breaking the bank. Plus the vast number of service centers allows an owner to take the Interceptor anywhere.
And then there is service support, if your interceptor breaks down in a remote corner, the vast RE network has you covered. If the same were to happen to your Triumph, then you had it. And then Accessories. The Street Twin doesn't even cone with a center stand! and to get one fitted would set you back 25K! Are they nuts? The Interceptor in India at a third of the price does 80% of what a Triumph does..a no brainer in my opinion. Even in the UK, where the price gap is not so stark, the RE Interceptor has a huge fan base and sells quite well.
windiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:

For a "retro" motorcycle the Royal Enfield 650 platform is surprisingly mod friendly, get the S&S 865cc Big Bore kit, S&S or Hitchcocks Stage 2 Camshaft, SS Moto 2x1 full system exhaust, Powertronic ECU, DNA/BMC/K&N Air Filter with stage 2 plate and a custom remap and you can easily crank out 75-80hp out of the (now 865cc) Royal Enfield parallel twin.

The total cost for the build above would be around 1,82,000 + Custom remap so let's round it off to 2,00,000. The no need to worry about reliability as the S&S big bore kit and camshaft were developed by S&S with the help of Royal Enfield. So for about 5.5 Lakh (3.5 Lakh Interceptor 650 + 2 Lakh mods) you're faster than any Bonneville out there except the Speed Twin 1200. Add the Dismotech 17 inch rims and dual front brake kit and you're set.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 09:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Speed Twin 900 was previously known as the Street Twin.
Sadly, this is another example of Triumph doing Triumph things.

Instead of arming the Street Twin with more firepower, to help differentiate it from the more affordable and highly capable competition (cough cough Interceptor 650 cough cough), they are trying to jazz it up by giving it a big brother name. Why, Triumph, why?

This is equivalent to Maruti calling the new Alto, the Baleno 800.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Bought a Competition Green Speed twin 900 in August and have done 600 km. The seat height of 765 mm is comfortable for me. As per the service package, got an included chain cleaning and lubing process done. Awaiting the first service. Motorcycle though, rides surprisingly fast and stable.

What I love is that the bike chassis is extremely well aligned. This proves when it continues to travel in straight lines without holding the handlebar, and secondly at crawling speeds, the bike can be manoeuvred easily without putting feet on the ground, just like how we slow cycle. Close to zero speeds, it stays balanced.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2023 at 16:47. Reason: Grammar
amayjoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 12:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
For a "retro" motorcycle the Royal Enfield 650 platform is surprisingly mod friendly,.

So for about 5.5 Lakh (3.5 Lakh Interceptor 650 + 2 Lakh mods) you're faster than any Bonneville out there except the Speed Twin 1200. Add the Dismotech 17 inch rims and dual front brake kit and you're set.
You are spot on. The mods are inexpensive and can potentially transform this bike. As an owner of both the Interceptor and the Street Twin, I can tell you still, that RE wouldn't tug to your heart as Triumph does. I don't know what it is about the RE that it never makes me feel emotionally connected. In practical terms, Street Twin's huge splash of torque early in the rev range; its entire weight hidden really down low; its approachable seat height, and the quality of the finish make you feel special. Interceptor to me does not feel special. Its proportions are all over the place, the exhaust pipes look downright ugly IMO, the footpeg is at the wrong place, the suspension is terrible, bah where does it end .
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 17:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Interceptor to me does not feel special. Its proportions are all over the place, the exhaust pipes look downright ugly IMO, the footpeg is at the wrong place, the suspension is terrible, bah where does it end .
Now that you have first hand experience with both Inty 650 and Street Twin(Speed twin 900), could you please compare the suspension between these 2 motorcycles ? Thanks in advance !
Old 19th September 2023, 17:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Now that you have first hand experience with both Inty 650 and Street Twin(Speed twin 900), could you please compare the suspension between these 2 motorcycles ? Thanks in advance !
I didn't like the stock suspension on both bikes . A frequent complaint that you will hear from Int650 owners is the bottoming out of the front and a thud noise every time you hit a bump. For the Street Twin owners, it is the frequent scraping of the underbody at speedbreakers especially if you have a pillion.

A cheap fix that worked for me was installing preload adjusters on the front and reducing sag. Again this is my opinion based on my riding style, I prefer slower compression and rebound. However, some of my friends who own Int650 find it adequately sprung and the same for those who own the Street Twin. But I feel these are people who accept things as is!
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks